1979 vs 2007 a debate

Over the last 2 weekends my boy and I watched the top 12 of these 2 years. Seeing that there has been so much posted here about old school and new school, I thought I would check these out agian and see what feelings we would get by watching these two spectacular years. One thing I noticed and wished would come from the new school Drum Corps is the humming factor. Music that people who have no clue about Drum Corps could pop on tv and know the tunes. I think personally that Drum Corps was great from both years but new school is way out there in the what was that factor. Yea both years gave goose bumps, drill is so much better from 07 but almost every show from 79 had me humming some song or wistiling a solo. New school to me is so far out there in the musical selections that the average Joe just does not have any clue how to get into this activity. Drum Corps needs to, in my humble opionion open up and find a way to include more main stream music that the masses know. It seems we have become elitest, Music Major Drum Corps is what we have become it seems, and where are all the great kick but soloists hiding. One other thing I would like to throw out there that my boy brought up was the colors on the field. Drill and Dance have become so prominent that he noticed that the guards of the old school were so much more. How did he put it, they just are doing so much more with more color that he just noticed that. If I had to pick a year to show someone that has never seen our activity and these were the only two I had I would have to pick ?

Lets debate.

If you gave me two years to pick, 1979 and 2007, I'd pick 2007 in a heartbeat to show someone who is not involved in drum corps or who has never heard of it.

For someone who is a die-hard drum corps fanatic of the 2000s, I'd watch the 1979 shows for a history lesson once they get to know the activity.

Now if you look at the last 2 or 3 DCI Countdowns, they're all shows from the 2000s and none from the 90s, 80s, or 70s. I don't like it because it seems like we are letting go of the past. On the other hand, I guess DCI wanted to make the Countdown more exciting and appealing to the young and new audiences.

But anyway, that's just my opinion...

You hit on two points that have bothered with the "new" school of Drum Corps.

The humming factor, one thing I liked was that you had alot of different music during a show. I hate..no dislike the current show has to have a theme and they through simarly title music together and 85% of the audience has never heard of it or worse won't remember it 10 minutes after the show is over. I can't remember any of the music from last year, But when I listened to shows from 82 (when I discovered drum corps) to around 90 it made me want to go out and buy the records. I found some ofmy favorite music through drum corps. We don't listen to alot of Aaron Copeland and Dave Brubek in my nieghborhood.

The guard- has now become a dance troop with some occasional equipment work. They have to be costumed to "tell the story" Thier has to be a lead and co star or featured dancer. I miss the old 27 rifles, the cool flag lines. Yes there wasn't alot of work back in the day but you knew they were a guard, not dancers. In high school (65-85)we had three groups in the guard, Flags, Rifles and Lassies, The lassies (we were the highlanders) could dance and stuff and used flagged batons (for lack of a better term) They were the only ones who would or could dance. The others flagged and rifled. I would rather see that then 9 minutes of prancing, out of step with the rest of the corps, and 2 big tosses. But hey thats just me.

You hit on two points that have bothered with the "new" school of Drum Corps.

The humming factor, one thing I liked was that you had alot of different music during a show. I hate..no dislike the current show has to have a theme and they through simarly title music together and 85% of the audience has never heard of it or worse won't remember it 10 minutes after the show is over. I can't remember any of the music from last year, But when I listened to shows from 82 (when I discovered drum corps) to around 90 it made me want to go out and buy the records. I found some ofmy favorite music through drum corps. We don't listen to alot of Aaron Copeland and Dave Brubek in my nieghborhood.

The guard- has now become a dance troop with some occasional equipment work. They have to be costumed to "tell the story" Thier has to be a lead and co star or featured dancer. I miss the old 27 rifles, the cool flag lines. Yes there wasn't alot of work back in the day but you knew they were a guard, not dancers. In high school (65-85)we had three groups in the guard, Flags, Rifles and Lassies, The lassies (we were the highlanders) could dance and stuff and used flagged batons (for lack of a better term) They were the only ones who would or could dance. The others flagged and rifled. I would rather see that then 9 minutes of prancing, out of step with the rest of the corps, and 2 big tosses. But hey thats just me.

Prancing is so 2007, dancing is the proper word we should use not to infuriate the masses of the new school if you get what I mean. Good to see another 84 poster on here. My 1st year in world class, loved the competitions that whole year. Wow are we old.

Last night I watched 1983 Vanguard (1st time ever), 1995 Blue Devils (1st time ever), and 2007 Cadets. I liked them all, so I guess I have it figured out. Sucks to be you guys :laughing:

What?

In other words, I enjoyed them all, found something to like in all of them, and for the most part came away humming melodies....well, except for BD 95 - that show is weird :laughing:

In other words, I enjoyed them all, found something to like in all of them, and for the most part came away humming melodies....well, except for BD 95 - that show is weird :laughing:

I still wonder why you put it sucks to be us guys? Mabye trying to get a rise out of me? Not this time my fellow alum, just trying to be positive without any slams and not hyping the Corps. Thats the point, no matter how you feel about me personally. Good day, young man. Go Jets!

Peace