What happened to Phantom Legion?

After seeing a near blank page for Phantom Legion on drumcorpswiki.com, with not much more than their active years, I was wondering what caused them to go inactive (and stay) in 1999?

There does not seem to be much info that I can find with my Google search-fu...

As far as I know, they were Phantom Regiment's 'b' corps. I haven't seen any shows, but heard they did pretty well. Regiment hit some choppy waters, and had to drop the Legion. If I'm not mistaken the old uniforms saw action on the field again in the hands of Revolution until 2002.

Yeah I can't find any photos or anything of them, but according to the scores off of the Mandarin's site, they seemed to be doing pretty darn well.

Impulse Drum & Bugle Corps bought the Phantom Legion's Instrument trailer from a group that never fielded called Copper Star from Arizona.

It still has some PL graffiti inside.

I have a DIV III Video of Phantom Legion...they were very tight!

Too bad they discontinued, they were an awesome little group.

Ron

Impulse

Edited by rzeilinger

PL developed out of PR Cadets; the desire (as I understand it) was to get "graduating" members to PR and there was a feeling that PRC kids were moving to other corps rather than get old enough to make PR;

the transition to PL drew in members from all over the country, which changed the dynamics of touring, feeding, housing, etc. (what to do with kids in Rockford when the corps was technically "off" got more problematic when they couldn't easily go home and come back);

there was a feeling that PR's financial issues at the time caused PL's demise as supporting a DIII on top of the DI had a cost;

in the end, only a few PL members ended up marching PR (those that did mostly did multiple years); others filled out Blue Stars, Americanos, Boston (at least those are the ones I know of); instructors moved on to Blue Stars, Butler Vagabonds, Spirit, Pioneer (again, others I may not know of)

Yeah I can't find any photos or anything of them, but according to the scores off of the Mandarin's site, they seemed to be doing pretty darn well.

I thought they should have taken Division III in 1998.

Corpsreps 1998 Division III Prelims

Corpsreps 1998 Division III Finals

What a great summer in Division III.

... What a great summer in Division III.

That is true.

I personally prefered Phantom Legion's '99 show, though, with Mellilo's Stormworks, Buella's Firestorm and Alfred Reed.

1999 in Madison was another great year for Div III/II, which was, also, the last time Yokohama Scouts visited the US, I believe.

Edited by oldguard

Well, Phantom Legion sure is living up to its name, i cannot find a single picture of them anywhere :huh:

Also, Iwonder why their graduation plan didnt work, it seems to do fine for other "cadet" corps such as SCVC...though, I do know a handful of people who just choose to march SCVC their whole time, we have a couple of age outs who've been there a lot of years. Only a few of the people there went to A-Corps audition it seems, as apparently this year we are doing some technique stuff different than the A-Corps.