THANK YOU ACADEMY!

So...true story....

On the night of the premiere of the Velvet Knights, after 10 years from being absent from DCI, on the way to the Riverside show, the equipment trailer (loaned to us from Yamato) is on its way. The brakes lock.

The trailer catches on FIRE!!!!!!

I get a call, "The fire is out, but we don't know if we can make it."

Even though the membership (and the staff) of VK say that we will be on the field even if it means a singing run-through, I go over to Academy and ask them if we can use their equipment.

ALL OF IT.

We have nothing. No horns. No pit equipment. No battery. NOTHING. All on the burning trailer.

And Academy, out of TRUE drum corps spirit....says....SURE......

ANYTHING you need is yours.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

So....the Academy horn line lines up and the VK hornline comes and grabs horns. Our members meet their members. And we run to warm up. T-minus 30 minutes......

Not only that....out pit meets their pit......our battery meets their battery.....

All is good. It is drum corps...and we are there to help you.

So our horns warm up, with at least half, if not more, of the Academy kids cheering our hornline on....allowing them to rock on through chord progressions, runs of our show. It was a hype.

We line up....and go on the field....despite all of EVERYTHING that was against us.

And it was all thanks to ACADEMY.

Guys, you have made a friend in VK. Forever we will be in your debt and we thank you for even allowing us to show up on the field tonight.

It was a miracle that we EVEN fielded tonight......and it was due to all of you.

Thank you from the horns. Thanks from the battery. And thanks from the pit.

And personally, you are all champions in my book....and have outclassed so many others in so many ways. No questions, only charity......

I hope you kick butt this year and I will send all of VK's positive karma your way.

Thank you, Academy, publically, for allowing us to even have the POSSIBILITY of fielding tonight.

May you be the best....and may your journey take you wherever you want to go.....

Thank you SO much for everything. You charity will NOT be forgotten. EVER.

Sincerely,

Clint Matsen

Brass Captionhead

The Velvet Knights Drum and Bugle Corps

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EVERYONE in the activity needs to read this post...because after the arguments are over, and the amps are unplugged, and the narrations are gone, and horns are put away, and the flags folded...and any other metaphorical thing I can think of...

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT DRUM CORPS IS ALL ABOUT!!!

Well, this and playing loud.

ACADEMY--you keep impressing me everyday.

That is an awesome story. That's it, I'm moving to Arizona, I've always wanted to go to spring training in Peoria anyway (Go Padres).

Seriously, everyone associated with the Academy and drum corps should be proud of this.

And lets give some love to VK, its great see you back even if you have a flaming trailer!

DW

Kudos to Academy. What a class act from a class organization :)

And kudos to the Velvet Knights for not giving up in what seems to be a worst case scenerio for any corps.

PS - is the trailor & equipment okay? :blink:

Awesome story!

Mods, can we move this post to the regular forum to perhaps boost readership?

I'm game, as this really isn't a review.

Moved to appropriate forum.

Rock on. And VK got 3rd and 2nd in some captions using borrowed equipment.

When they get their regular gear, lookout D3 :)