Historic Drum Corps Treasures At My Local Thrift Shop

Stu,

You mentioned the Sleepy Eye Drum & Bugle Corps. About 25 years ago the son of Sleepy Eye's immortal director, Pinky Schroepfer, sent me a box with the musical arrangement Pinky wrote for drum & bugle corps and concert band way back in the late 1940s or early 1950s, entitled "Jubilesta". They also sent all the old Minnesota American Legion state contest recaps going back to the 1940s.

Long live Sleepy Eye!

Stu,

You mentioned the Sleepy Eye Drum & Bugle Corps. About 25 years ago the son of Sleepy Eye's immortal director, Pinky Schroepfer, sent me a box with the musical arrangement Pinky wrote for drum & bugle corps and concert band way back in the late 1940s or early 1950s, entitled "Jubilesta". They also sent all the old Minnesota American Legion state contest recaps going back to the 1940s.

Long live Sleepy Eye!

So that should be arrangements for single piston with no rotor or slide????

Can only imagine what those charts look like.... :tongue:

As my sister would say, Coooooolllllll :music:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Yeah, those are some interesting charts, Jim! Pinky Schroepfer was a national legend in drum corps WAY back. He died in 1997 at the age of 92. He wrote quite a few things so that his drum & bugle corps could play concerts with regular concert bands. The city of Sleepy Eye, Minnesota held concerts every year featuring the corps and the concert band.

Pinky was even inducted into the 1992 class of the Minnesota Music Hall of Fame, (along with famed rock singer Bobby Vee).

Edited by Northern Thunder