Hostrauser's DCI Rankings - Week 1

It's that time of year again...

My rankings are designed to look more at trends than fluke performances. A corps dropping three spots at one show might be a fluke performance. A corps dropping three spots in my rankings (considering all their shows that week) probably isn't.

These rankings are compiled based on what each corps did score or would have scored on every day of the preceding week (Monday through Sunday). THIS IS NOT A STRAIGHT SCORE COMPARISON. Go to the Blue Knights' page if you want that. THIS IS NOT BASED SOLELY ON EACH CORPS' MOST RECENT SCORE. Just because a corps had the highest score in all of DCI on Saturday does not necessarily mean they will be at the top of the rankings (particularly if they scored lower earlier in the week). SHOW SCORES FROM A PARTICULAR DAY CAN BE ADJUSTED. Judging inflation is taken into account, if the numbers bear it out (see also: the infamous "west coast bump"). For example, Corps A at show X on Friday outscores both Corps B and Corps C (who were at show Y on Friday) by more than a point. However, on Saturday when they all perform together at show Z, Corps B is 1.0 ahead of Corps A and Corps C is only 0.1 behind. Chances are show X's scores were either too high or show Y's scores were too low, and the scores might be adjusted for ALL corps at either show.

The formula is based on seven-days worth of performances. On days when a corps does not perform, they will receive a "ghost score" based on what the other corps they had been in direct competition with most recently scored. All scores are weighted. Real scores are weighted 100%, ghost scores are weighted at 50%. Days each week with the most corps performances (Thr-Sun) are weighted 200%. "Super-regionals" like San Antonio and Allentown are weighted 300%.

These rankings are NOT a prediction of future performance, nor are they representative of a corps' entire season of work. They are stand-alone rankings based upon the most recent week; so programming changes in shows during the course of the season can lead to "hot" and "cold" streaks in the rankings.

That said, I've decided to try something new this year, and correlate the "current" scores to a "what-if" prelims score. This is NOT a prediction of prelims, more along the lines of "if the past week's performances were a week-long prelims event, the scores would be..."

Without further ado...

HOSTRAUSER'S DCI RANKINGS - Week 1 (6/24-6/30)

98.30 Carolina Crown

98.15 Blue Devils

98.10 The Cadets

95.45 Santa Clara Vanguard

93.85 Phantom Regiment

92.80 Bluecoats

91.05 Madison Scouts

89.75 Blue Knights

89.35 The Cavaliers

87.80 Boston Crusaders

86.95 Spirit of Atlanta

84.25 Pacific Crest

------------ Finals Cut-line ----------------

83.50 Blue Stars

83.20 Crossmen

82.50 Troopers

82.35 The Academy

81.50 Mandarins

79.80 Oregon Crusaders

79.60 Colts

75.90 Gold

74.35 Spartans

74.05 Blue Devils B

73.90 Vanguard Cadets

70.30 7th Regiment

69.50 Legends

---------- Semifinals Cut-line --------------

69.00 Impulse

68.50 Jersey Surf

68.00 Pioneer

67.20 Colt Cadets

66.40 Thunder

64.35 Cascades

63.60 Raiders

62.20 Columbians

57.15 City Sound

55.00 Blue Devils C

• Like 9

Thanks! I always enjoy your rankings.

And your disclaimers.

• Like 2

Not gonna lie, I really hope for better placement then 18th for my beloved Oregon Crusaders. Their current scores may be reflective on the fact that their show is not all on the field yet. Oregon has the unfortunate situation that our schools don't get out until mid June, so all-days gets pushed to when some corps are holding their first shows.

Entertaining list though, I like seeing Pacific Crest in the top 12!

I think that ranking is absolutely correct except PAC Crest will not be 12... Could it happen sure, in the formula u r using it is very possible, but Crossmen, BStars and Troop will likely all finish ahead of PAC Crest. Exciting to see something really different thoufh

I'm tickled by the thought of Open Class being led by Gold and Spartans.

• Like 4

I agree, love your ratings. Seems to be the most accurate.

Having said that, I think the biggest surprise in your rankings is Pacific Crest in 12th. Not that they can't do it I'm just not seeing them ahead of the fighting-for-the-last-spot-in-finals pack. Only based on what I have heard of course.

I hope the battle at the top stays as close as you have it till the end.