Celebrating The Audubon Girls

First saw them at the '58 Dream and they were excellent that day also. And this was the season after they "lost" the A.L. Nationals in Atlantic City. Guessing that the 'good ol' boys' didn't like the idea of an All-Girls National Champion. For shame. They would have carried the orange flag with distinction! GREAT Corps!

Yes, Ray, it amazing how well those girls stacked up against the "boys" back in the 1950s.

1956 VFW Nationals:

Bon Bons-- 1st in GE, 2nd in M & M, 4th place overall

1957 American Legion Nationals:

Bon Bons--1st horns, 2nd GE, 2nd place overall

1958 American Legion Nationals:

Bon Bons--1st GE horns, 1st GE M & M, 2nd horns, 5th place overall

"Bon Bons":

The "NY Scribe" that gave them the moniker "Bon Bons" was none other than the late great Bobby "The Kid" BellaRosa. I also remeember the Bon Bon's from "BITD" when they were VERY competitive with the "Boys", and also all the OTHER "All Girls" corps that were around in that time perior.

Our little city had at least three "Girls" corps with the Marionettes, Notre Dame Girls and the Colonades.

Thanks for posting the article.

Elphaba

First saw them at the '58 Dream and they were excellent that day also. And this was the season after they "lost" the A.L. Nationals in Atlantic City. Guessing that the 'good ol' boys' didn't like the idea of an All-Girls National Champion. For shame. They would have carried the orange flag with distinction! GREAT Corps!

I love the parentheses around the word "lost". I was there. I was seventeen. Holy Name had a great corps, but Audubon definitely got a very dirty deal that night. I thought so at the time, have listened to the Richmond recordings of the show many times since, and I still think it was blatant discrimination. Of course the Bon Bon's hornline DID pull a lot of slides, particularly in the concert formation. That was still a fairly radical practice at that time, something the Legion "boys" were not yet comfortable with. But, still; the placings were a disgrace.

• Like 1

"Bon Bons":

The "NY Scribe" that gave them the moniker "Bon Bons" was none other than the late great Bobby "The Kid" BellaRosa. I also remeember the Bon Bon's from "BITD" when they were VERY competitive with the "Boys", and also all the OTHER "All Girls" corps that were around in that time perior.

Our little city had at least three "Girls" corps with the Marionettes, Notre Dame Girls and the Colonades.

Thanks for posting the article.

Elphaba

... and venturing outside of the Bpt city limits, CT had the Norwich Fireettes, the Seymour Vanguard,New Britain Bonnies and the Stamford Sillouettes (sp) ...

:-)

I love the parentheses around the word "lost". I was there. I was seventeen. Holy Name had a great corps, but Audubon definitely got a very dirty deal that night. I thought so at the time, have listened to the Richmond recordings of the show many times since, and I still think it was blatant discrimination. Of course the Bon Bon's hornline DID pull a lot of slides, particularly in the concert formation. That was still a fairly radical practice at that time, something the Legion "boys" were not yet comfortable with. But, still; the placings were a disgrace.

... and venturing outside of the Bpt city limits, CT had the Norwich Fireettes, the Seymour Vanguard,New Britain Bonnies and the Stamford Sillouettes (sp) ...

The Bonnies only lasted for a short while as an all girl corps. They went co-ed in 64 and changed their name to the Highlanders.

:-)

"disgrace?" You must have been a very unusual 17 year old with such deep insight. Apparently though you missed the vision of the Virgin that appeared to The Cadets during their concert, "The Angels Sing." The results were a pretty foregone conclusion after that.

Apparently I did miss the vision of the BVM. Perhaps I was just not worthy. I'm not sure. There's no doubt about my insight, though. In this instance it whispered to me about "back room shenanigans", something the veterans were historically VERY good at.;)

• Like 2