SOA '15

Hello All - Yes, there have been many rumors floating around and in order to stop them here goes: Today I was informed that the SoA board of directors has relived me of my duties as director of the Spirit of Atlanta effective immediately. Yes, that means that I was fired. One of the major reasons given was because I was not able to be on the road as much as they believe is required and they want to bring someone else in who can provide a higher level of coverage.

I would like to thank everyone who has supported my work with Spirit for the past two years as I have enjoyed working with some of the best young people anywhere in the world. I have been honored to meet so many new friends and I absolutely feel more southern than I ever dreamed possible. I look forward to seeing many of you down the road somewhere - please feel free to give me a shout out every once in a while. Ciao, JW

Edited by MisterN87

I always thought JW was great for Spirit and the members. He will be missed.

Just my personal observation seeing him working with the Corps over these past 2 years.

You can obtain a copy of the SoA BoD bylaws for the specifics to that board. In general, nonprofit boards have bylaws governing the recruitment and election of board members. Those procedures may vary from corps to corps and from nonprofit to nonprofit, but if the board conducts periodic audits of the organization, the auditors will examine the board composition and governance, making recommendations when they deem it necessary. Otherwise, the board is answerable only to the public at large: Either the board creates a product the public wants to buy, or they create a product the public ignores. And by "public," I mean potential corps members, potential staff, potential ticket-buying customers, and potential sponsors and underwriters. A corrupt board with ill intent will put the corps out of business all by itself. If any of the shenanigans involve the corps' exemption from taxes, the IRS will take an interest, too.

Typically, the president of the board is selected by the board members, again under the procedure specified by the bylaws. On many nonprofit boards, a president is not directly elected, but "ascends" to the position on a prescribed timeline after having served in other board-officer positions such as Treasurer and VP.

Board members, including the president, are volunteers. They cannot be "fired" in the sense of losing their job. They can be removed from the board -- again, the bylaws usually spell out how this is done.

The corps director is hired by the board. He or she is the one who can be fired.

Phone malfunction when posting. What I wanted to ask in reference to the post on by laws is where to find them? Spirits web page has a mission statement but no link to by laws. I was able to locate the 990's easily up through 2012 but still looking for 2013 and 2014.

Phone malfunction when posting. What I wanted to ask in reference to the post on by laws is where to find them? Spirits web page has a mission statement but no link to by laws. I was able to locate the 990's easily up through 2012 but still looking for 2013 and 2014.

The SoA business office should be able to provide you a copy of the BoD bylaws, either by email or US Mail. If they A) can't seem to find them, or B) are reluctant to provide them, then, in the words of Monty Python's King Arthur: Run away!