Why is this HS Band show better designed than half the 2015 top 12?

Offered in discussion of:

Top instructors and designers AVOIDING DCI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMxTzPmKedg

I'm thinking specifically of this program in comparison to: 2015 Phantom Regiment, 2015 Cadets, 2015 Cavaliers, 2015 etc...

I'd (personally) put BD, Bluecoats, Blue Knights etc above this one in terms of design

It was certainly a superior high school show.

That said, I'm not sure the design was that great.

1) I have no idea what those props were for

2) The props made the field feel very cluttered (like BAC 2015)

3) The coverage of the band on the field was terrible, especially for one that size. The whole show felt clumped.

Musically though, it was incredible. There were a lot of pieces that have been used in DCI in the past as well.

Better design than some DCI shows? Sure. Better design than top 12 corps? I'm not sold on that idea.

• Like 4

Thank you George for posting the video. It really is a great program.

I try not to compare shows between DCI and HS. There is so much to appreciate in both. In each there are great shows and others that don't quite have the same effect. One thing for sure is that the talent level found in so many HS bands is incredible!

My favorite HS show this year is Tarpon Springs. It's not yet the cleanest, but it certainly grabbed my attention and the guard is really good.

https://youtu.be/CorneoakhXc

Offered in discussion of:

Top instructors and designers AVOIDING DCI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMxTzPmKedg

I'm thinking specifically of this program in comparison to: 2015 Phantom Regiment, 2015 Cadets, 2015 Cavaliers, 2015 etc...

I'd (personally) put BD, Bluecoats, Blue Knights etc above this one in terms of design

Broken Arrow has been an amazing band for a long time. I've loved their shows. I used to correspond with a band parent who helped build props and stuff, and he would send me videos of them...that was going back 8 or 9 years, actually.

Thank you George for posting the video. It really is a great program.

I try not to compare shows between DCI and HS. There is so much to appreciate in both. In each there are great shows and others that don't quite have the same effect. One thing for sure is that the talent level found in so many HS bands is incredible!

My favorite HS show this year is Tarpon Springs. It's not yet the cleanest, but it certainly grabbed my attention and the guard is really good.

https://youtu.be/CorneoakhXc

Tarpons show is incredible this year (and last)

I find it concerning that the "Design level" is either 1. so close or 2. HS or Indoor >> than DCI. That's what I mean by designers/instructors "avoiding" DCI. Is it the pay? The schedule? The heat? The wind? The egos?

• Like 1

Very cool show. Better than 2015 Cadets? No way.

design - not execution

I'd say the visual design is better, guard design is better and the musical design is very strong. All JMO in comparison to Cadets 2015

• Like 1

It was certainly a superior high school show.

That said, I'm not sure the design was that great.

1) I have no idea what those props were for

2) The props made the field feel very cluttered (like BAC 2015)

3) The coverage of the band on the field was terrible, especially for one that size. The whole show felt clumped.

Musically though, it was incredible. There were a lot of pieces that have been used in DCI in the past as well.

Better design than some DCI shows? Sure. Better design than top 12 corps? I'm not sold on that idea.

Well - IMO vastly better than, say, Regiment 2015

• Like 1

Tarpons show is incredible this year (and last)

I find it concerning that the "Design level" is either 1. so close or 2. HS or Indoor >> than DCI. That's what I mean by designers/instructors "avoiding" DCI. Is it the pay? The schedule? The heat? The wind? The egos?

Is it to avoid getting their shows ripped apart on DCP? I am kidding..... Could it be that designing a HS show allows for more freedom? I don't know, but I've wondered about the pressure differences between designing for DCI vs a HS.