Advice please

BonBon

I am pretty sure this was covered already but anyhoo...

I am looking to learn how to play bari, a friend has accepted the challenge. LOL

I am looking for advice on what kind of mouthpiece I should get to learn with.

HELP... thanks

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comming from a trumpet player i would suggest to someone learning how to play trumpet, pick a mouthpiece that is comfortable to your likeing and have a semi decient sound. That second part isnt important because you are learning and tone comes from work and experiance on the horn. Just find something, throw it in there and work on the fundamentals. Once you get experiance then you may want to look into upgrading your mouthpiece.

I am pretty sure this was covered already but anyhoo...

I am looking to learn how to play bari, a friend has accepted the challenge. LOL

I am looking for advice on what kind of mouthpiece I should get to learn with.

HELP... thanks

have you played brass instruments before?

if the answer is "no", for a new player, sight unseen, i'd suggest something similar to a bach 6-1/2al. it's a medium cup, medium backbore for "average" players. of course mouthpiece selection depends on the individual, the best thing really is to try several different ones and pick one that "feels' best, then stick with it.

Hey very cool !! I myself just picked up the Bari about 3 weeks ago.. never played brass before !! and I was handed a

"bach 6-1/2al"

when I walked into RCR practice...

So it has been great for me, I am not sure about trying different mouth pieces, I was a Tenor Sax player many years ago and I would know comfortable from a Kazoo. I do know that what I have has been a great mouthpiece! and as was said to me.. "get a good BUZZ going before you put it in your horn..." it will be much easier. I drive to work every day buzzin' away down the freeway, you get a few wierd looks but hey that is the price you pay :) he he

~eric

schilke 51 D. i reccomend gold plated, its much softer metal and easy on the chops. allows for less fatigue. now once you get better, hit me up, i've got some other reccomendations for when your playing and an more intermediate level.

hope this helps.

Starting off in brass playing, I would suggest something a little smaller to get a result with a little less effort. The sound isn't quite what you want, but it's to get started. Since you have an immediate application, like rehearsing in arc, you may want to start with the 6 1/2. IMHO, anything bigger would be too much to deal with without a private instructor. Later in your brass experience you might want to look into the 5G, 51D, SM4 and others. You really should get some basic experience first.

My vote is definitely in the Bach 6 1/2 AL category for beginners. I used it instead of the 12c when I was starting to play slide trombone in jazz ensemble. Good high and low flexibility and enough rim to keep the lip stable. I'm still a Schilke fan when it comes to mouthpieces in general once your comfortable and established, except for the Helleberg which is my favorite for Tuba playing.