Too much practice

Click

I have been practicing on range about 2:30 - 3:00 a day all this week. But since Tuesday my range has slowly gotten worse. Could it be that I am wearing my chops out by practicing high notes too much? Should I take a day off before my corps camp this weekend?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mafields627

You should only do serious range work every other day, no more than three days a week. Perhaps once every two days. Building range is just like lifting weights. You don't lift every day. When you lift, you're breaking your muscles down. You have to give them time to rebuild and get stronger. The same is true for working on the upper register. Take it easy and the range will come. Don't overdo it. When you're working on range, make sure you're working on your tone at the same time.

Well, i'm not a t-pet or sop player, but i can tell you what Arnold Jacobs philosophy was on the subject. *i assume this carries over on other instruments* It is best to focus on the whole range of the instrument with scales multiple octaves. This takes the good habits of your middle and lower register and carries the tone and correct embouchure to the higer range, as well as building comoplectic lip strength and somewhat of a muscle memory for the higer range. (he said to be very careful with this statement, meaning that the sound was more important than the feel, but none the less). Scales, scales, scales... they are good for the mental aspect as well, and hey if you ever tryout for a military band or a big orchestra they are nice as well.

Happy high notes,

~Rust

pedal tones good....

^0^

I have been practicing on range about 2:30 - 3:00 a day all this week. But since Tuesday my range has slowly gotten worse. Could it be that I am wearing my chops out by practicing high notes too much? Should I take a day off before my corps camp this weekend?

Well depending on how much time you practice overall too can have something to do with it. Above all make sure you feel comfortable when practicing your range excercises and such. And as others have said I don't reccomend the high stuff every day. Work your range up high one day then down low the next.

Also keep in mind that playing high is not what is impressive, anyone can play high, only a talented few can play high with ease and a with a great sound. Don't try to increase your range only, but rather your accuracy towards a particular range. As you increase your accuracy (in either direction) your chops will take less of a beating and you will be able to achieve the notes much easier which will then allow you to be able to increase your "range" further.

Quality practice is the key, not quantity. 15 - 20 min a day working on your accuracy will go much farther then 25 - 30 just hammering away at the high stuff.

That's all for now

Shawn C.

I agree strongly with the Tastee Bros philosphy: Practice often, not long.

Also, I will personally attest the Arnold Jacobs thing - the more I play in general, no matter what range I'm playing in, it tends to get my flexibility going, my air moving right and my chops back in shape. This allows me more high notes than if I specifically work on high notes.

And yes, using the fast air and flexibiltiy that it takes to play low notes will do as much for high notes as actually trying to play high notes.

I just agree with everyone today! :P

• 2 weeks later...

B) Hi. Are you there? i saw your posting on the message board about practicing your range and how much you practice, the best advice to give is to not play so much high range and merely work on peddle tones and chromatic scales from peddle to three octaves and back down and back up, then half octave work. this will improve your range as well as improving your tone quality and pitch in that range. many mistakes of kids, especially dci soloists is playing in the upper range but with poor quality and not actually finding the correct pitches. work on these chromatic exercises and you will be amazed how quickly your problem will diminish, i hope this helps.

phil

brass caption head for 7th regiment