A world title to northeast Ohio

Championship-hungry northeast Ohio  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Who will bring northeast Ohio their first World Championship since 1996?

• Cleveland Browns (National Football League)
    • Cleveland Indians (Major League Baseball)
    • Cleveland Cavaliers (National Basketball Association)
    • Canton Bluecoats (Drum Corps International)

I have hope that the Browns will in fact return to their glory...the only thing is, they must never play at home...The browns win key games on the road, but never at home...ie Dolphins, Bengals, Ravens...Some say that the curse for the Browns is some Ancient Indian Burial ground on the site of the stadium...Anyway, I am guessing this poll has a tad bit of bias, un poco *end sarcasm now

And I remain teh lone voter so far for the browns: The Indians start well and then screw up the season in the end, The Cavaliers have a one-man team, and I dont think that the current Bluecoats final products will be as refined as teh hype they are receiving now.

Edited by PRFanatic08

OK, but it doesn't say what the curse IS. How it orininated, etc. For example, the Cubs are "cursed" because they wouldn't let a guy into Wrigley Field with a goat back in 1945. The Red Sox were "cursed" for 86 years because they sold Babe Ruth. All of Philadelphia's sports teams are "cursed" because in 1987 they built a skyscraper (One Liberty Plaza) that reaches taller than the statue of William Penn atop Philadelphia City Hall, and the Eagles, Phillies, 76ers, and Flyers (or the Crossmen) have won championship since.

Why is Cleveland cursed? 'Cause they had a bonfire on the Cuyahoga river? :P

Cleveland is cursed because it is a **** hole.

That word is not hell.

:)

Bluecoats, because they're NOT from Cleveland and therefore not subject to the Cleveland Sports Curse.

Duly noted, but I think Columbus may be catching the Cleveland curse. Anyone else notice the Scarlet and Grey losing 2 national championships this year... both to Florida? Tell me that didn't hurt fellow buckeyes.

What exactly is the curse?

The YouTube video is a nice, quick look at the curse basics.

OK, but it doesn't say what the curse IS. How it orininated, etc. For example, the Cubs are "cursed" because they wouldn't let a guy into Wrigley Field with a goat back in 1945. The Red Sox were "cursed" for 86 years because they sold Babe Ruth. All of Philadelphia's sports teams are "cursed" because in 1987 they built a skyscraper (One Liberty Plaza) that reaches taller than the statue of William Penn atop Philadelphia City Hall, and the Eagles, Phillies, 76ers, and Flyers (or the Crossmen) have won championship since.

Why is Cleveland cursed? 'Cause they had a bonfire on the Cuyahoga river? :P

As I've always understood it, the curse was supposedly originated when the Indians traded Rocky Colavito to the Tigers. Terry Pluto, a writer for the Akron Beacon Journal, wrote an enjoyable look at the Indians 1995 season (which of course resulted in the Atlanta Braves taking the Series), called "Burying the Curse." He refers to the team being cursed from the moment Rocky left town. I've always linked the other tragedies back to that moment.

As to the list of "occurences," I think the video leaves out Red Right 88. For that story you'll have to turn to a Browns fan with a better memory than mine. Here's the spoiler: the Browns lost.

Brandon, I'd peg you, at least, as a Spurs fan and would figure you'd have seen Cleveland play.

Not a Spurs fan. I live in Houston...gotta be the Rockets for me of course!

But I have seen Cleveland play, I watched the whole playoffs even though, once again, the Rockets didn't get out of the first round...*sigh*

• 8 years later...

Looks like the Cleveland Cavaliers did it! Yeah, I know, this is a 9 year old thread.

You watch however, the Cleveland Browns will make the playoffs at some point over the next 9 years, imo.

browns make the playoffs? it's more likely that the mistake by the lake will just fall right in and float away to canada.

If so, they'll make the Canadian Football League Playoffs at some point over the next 99 years.

Opps... thats a typo.... well..never mind... I'll keep the 99 year number, now that I typed it.