Best age to start Drum Corps

A few pictures for ya -

IMG_1358.jpg

n93403357_31281367_4055.jpg

n93403357_31281389_9587.jpg

You must be very proud of her! To have that kind of stamina, fortitude and drive at such an early age is incredible.

She's one very special little girl if I may say so! :worthy::laugh:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I updated the profile. I've actually been looking at Kilties. I started looking into it last fall, but decided I wasn't able to commit the time yet. I think I should probably get involved soon and have the kids be mascots!! Just for history sake, I've spent a lot of time around the Scouts, but only marched with my High School marching band (Oregon, WI).

Thanks for the replies, this was very helpful! Great pics Stoli!

We've got people coming down from that area all ready if you want to set up a car pool. We'd love to have ya!

plus

I used to compete against Oregon HS when I marched in Lighthouse Brigade. Was Mark Lindsay (sp?) there when you were?

Edited by KiltieBD3

Oh yes! Mark Lindsey. Quite a guy. Someone I marched with said he was like your father and the Grim Reaper rolled into one. It was a love-hate thing.

Do you know him?

I'm itching to march again and have interest in a certain DCA corps - I have for a while.

My kids are aged 3 and 1 right now and I'd like to get back in when they can march but I've been wondering when the best time would be to get them started. They both already have an interest in the activity, my son had a wonderful time at Drums on Parade this year. Obviously, 3 is too young, but what would be your advice for starting?

Thanks for the input!!

I was born into a drum corps family.

My father sat us by the stereo as soon as we were brought home from the hospital.Tradition.

We grew up in rehearsal halls around football fields and camp grounds. Lets not forget the hotels, buses, restaurants, legions and posts.

There was never a time that we ever complained about having to pack up to travel during the weekends of the spring and summer.

We all loved watching our fathers corps compete. We truly loved the activity. It was our way of life. Drum Corps Gypsies.

If you give this gift to your children, believe me, they will get just as much of a thrill out of seeing their father perform as I did.

Just remember ear protection! LOL My hearing is not so good. It must have been the rehearsal halls! LOL I loved to watch my father teach.

If you can't devote the time or $ just yet for competition, find an alumni corps for the time being.

I believe in starting kids on interments early. Elementary school. Their minds are like sponges.

Always be positive. Every mistake is a lesson.