10 months ago

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is sponsoring a member tax deductible? It's better to give the money to the corps and let them reduce expenses for all members.

I think that is a judgement call for which there is no "best" answer. Regardless of the tax deductibility, or not, I prefer to help sponsor individuals who may not be able to march without direct support.

...on topic... 10 months later the premise is still way off base IMHO. Most all of us spend money on things purely for our personal enjoyment. It's called enjoying life, no? Several posters have commented that allowing alums to "relive" their youth a bit actually brings them closer to the corps and has longer term benefits than the one-time, either or, calculation suggested by the OP. I know that I am MUCH more active in drum corps (manifested in my show attendance, souvie buying, DCI trips, and member sponsorhips) directly as a result of my having participated in the Rose Parade a few years ago.

The original premise is very, very short sighted IMO.

Geno:

I do not want to put you down for your efforts in being part of the alumni corps (or any other alum for that fact.)

I was just wondering-- Has a majority from the alumni corps by chance sponsored a Scout Member ($2000.00) in his dues this year? Or donated a sizeable amount of money to the corps comparable to what one spent to be in the Madison Alumni Project last year? Or in a support role as a volunteer with the Scouts this season. (as opposed to the amount of time spent on DCP?)

I am not saying drop everything in your life and give to the Scouts (or else).

Just, . . is there active support from alumni THIS year when it appears the Corps really needs it?

What say you?

well, thanks for not putting me down for my participation. But your original post is laden with subtle slams doing just that to all of us that did participate.

I can't speak for the majority of alums who did the project and how much exactly they've chosen to donate, or whether they sponsored a member. As for me personally? Well my answer is no, I haven't been able to do either I'm afraid. Not that it is any of your business what-so-ever, and your asking seems rude and intrusive to me, and seems only asked by you to add further pointless personal disdain for the Madison alumni participants and what they did. I have no idea why you hide behind this facade of "higher moral intent" here and use it as a weapon and to simply to put down a group of former marching members who did something that was fun, exciting and (as has been mentioned here several times) did indeed provide a large sum of money to last years corps finances. But you feel it wasn't enough, if I get your point right, and feel that we, as selfish "Peter Pan Syndrom" (in your words) should have not done anything but evaluated our personal finances and sent that equal amount of money to the corps instead? You have no clue why or for what reasons someone is able to donate money or time to any organization, or is not able to. If you feel it necessary to pass judgement on me or any other alumni's involvement and contributions to the corps and the project last year (based on your criteria of what support is) you better be darn sure you are not "accidentally" making a far too broad a judgement by not having many more contributing factors and overall facts as to someone being able to do that. You have no idea what my personal situation is, so mind your own business. In fact, just recently (a month or so ago), I sent a quick reply to a message Jeff Spanos sent me, telling him of my situation this past year. And again, that is none of your "judgement passing" business, but I know what happened and what I said in my note to him... do you? What say you?

As well, I hope you will judge yourself equally when it comes to donations to your former corps or your kids corps, and will back it up in the same manner you expect the MAP group and ME to. Have YOU sent money to YOUR former corps? Or have YOU spent time volunteering with some corps? Or did you send money or give time beyond what was necessary to support your OWN kids participation? If so, how much? What say you?

And along those same lines, does this mean that you now hold the Kingsmen group to the same criteria of THEIR financial support of some kid in a corps someplace? How about the SCV alumni? The Blue Devils alumni? The upcoming Cavalier alumni for 2008? Will you ask of them the same question you are asking of all the Madison alumni? And what if, for reasons that are personal and private, any of THOSE people from those alumni groups haven't specifically sponsored a kid in the corps, sent in a large donation or volunteered some time? I have proven my emotional feelings and support for Madison, the Guardsmen and the Vaqueros drum and bugle corps here on DCP over and over again by speaking of them with love of my time with all those organizations. Last year was a blast, and I never once tried to show up those fantastic guys that were the 2006 Madison Scouts. I never say hateful and hurtful things about any of the former corps I was in, even though I wasn't always happy about some things that happened in each of them over the years I was in. My dislike of one person in any organization, or of an organization itself, isn't all consuming to me, and I choose to LIKE this activity not hate it.

I hear all the time that I must be on DCP "all the time" ... and yet I am aware of people who scour every post here and comment on them elsewhere, clearly spending an equal amount of time reading this and other drum corps related boards. The fact is that I spend no more time here than most people do managing their own MySpace, Facebook or Blogs, and the amount of time I spend here is of no significance in anyway as it relates to contributions of time or money. I have far more fun here chatting with people about many more things than just Madison, actively engaged in conversation and making friends, than I would sitting mindlessly in front of my TV. But that's just me. What say you?

Since you know MY name, and have called me by it here, will you tell us YOUR name... or would telling us all that reveal something about YOU that is too controversial to be out there in public? What say YOU?

I, for one, wish you'd spend more time here G. :D

:blink:

P.S. your performance last year ROCKED. I don't care what anyone says.

Last year, both b/c of the alumni project and the current guys, I became a fan (which I had not really been before). (of the scouts that is).

I also bought my very first fleur de lis last year too.

I wear it proudly, as I'm sure anyone who has one does.

I'm still mad that the thread starter called that alumni show "ho-hum." That was the best part of Friday night.

Hey, thread starter, I'm going to ruin your day with putdowns.

I'm still mad that the thread starter called that alumni show "ho-hum." That was the best part of Friday night.

Hey, thread starter, I'm going to ruin your day with putdowns.

Nah, he said that the crowd was ho-hum and we entertained them for 15 minutes.

I'm still waiting for the OP to answer my question on how much he donated to the Scouts. What say you? Still waiting.

Stupid premise = stupid thread ^2...I think it's obvious to any casual observer that the staff didn't leave after last year because of money issues. Bill Cook could've written them a huge check and they'd still be in a transitional period this year.

Just for the sake of argument, suppose the MSARP didn't help the current Scouts one iota, SO WHAT?!

It helped 200+ men. Why is that so easily brushed aside? Because we're forty-five instead of twenty we are less worthy or in need of a life enriching experience? To dismiss it as simply "reliving our youth" is downright insulting.

The whole thing was about so much more than drum corps. It was about life. I learned valuable life lessons in the 70s and 80s in drum corps. And I learned lots the summer of 2006 as well. I am a better person for having been a part of it.

It was a beautiful thing.

I am in the process of watching the alumni video right this minute and see that the Alumni helped.....The Troopers corps by leasing their horns for use in their project. So all those greedy fat lod farts who won't help no one but themselves screwed up and assisted the Troopers....... Nice job once again Scouts Alumni. Maybe its time for a DCA corps out of Madcity?????