Best Cadet's Hornline Ever?

WoofInTheWoods

72 members have voted

1. 1. Best Cadet's Hornline Ever?

• other year

Gotta be 2001.  Man I love those opening runs and the Double G from the Trumpet.

I think that the brassline in 1993 was VASTLY underrated.

One of my favorite shows of all time.  

Andy Smith

Railmen 93-94

Madison Scouts 96,98-99

i definitely agree with that.  Im not sure what their overall placement in brass was (3rd behind BD/Star tie?) but people come down too hard on that hornline i think.  Man, they could play with some serious power...and that was not an easy book, especially with that drill!  I think im gonna have to watch that show right now, heh...

I voted for 2001 off this list.  What impressed me so much about this hornline was the ease with which they could change styles (ie, classical, jazz, ballad, etc) because that is not an easy thing to do.  Also they played so fluidly and with such great dynamic variance, that really added a TON of effect.  Great sound quality certainly didnt hurt them either, especially for a corps thats had a recent history of being a little out of tune on finals night!

Speaking of which, i saw something the other night that blew my mind...Cadets got 2nd in brass in 98 and SCV 3rd? That could not be more backwards to me. And i think that as far as the poll goes the Cadets 99 hornline was better than 98   ;)^

I just had to vote for 98 this time, mainly because for the year, and I did so because they were just so much more incredible for the time than 2001 was for it's time.  2001 would have been next, but speaking from experience, B flats are much easier to play on, and if the 98 hornline had that B flat advantage, i think that hornline might stick out even more as truely incredible.  98 is my favorite show of all time, and it's mostly because the horns were so great.  All the little things like the mello runs under then dominating stonehenge theme, those signature Cadets FFF and then a measure later PPP dynamics, the incredible musicality in Canterbury Chorale, and very difficult drill done very well.  By far the cleanest hornline visually than any hornline since.  I just can't get over how perfect they looked and sounded that year.