1st Caballeros. Please hold your letters. I had Cabs first at DCA last year. Having said that, they were second best tonight.

I will concede the visual composition. It was superior to Empire imo.

I will concede visual technique (at least for the first 4 1/2 minutes) as it was clean and agressive.

I might even concede field drums (yes, Kevin, it's obvious you are the teacher and it is displayed in performance in all sections).

But that's where it ends.

The spread tonight created by the guard judge (1.5) and ensemble vis judge (1.1) and visual effect judge (0.5) decided this show...and incorrectly.

Cabs present "Carmen". Hmmm. Where was she and what is the story line? It was difficult to discern from the contribution of the guard and the musical score. Dynamics were missing the required highs and lows. From the box, the biggest applause came from the corps' staff and it came at times that seemed inappropriate. Was I missing the effect or was it written as to be so esoteric that I was slipping into a coma?

Biggest plus: That I remember Cabs from last year. That tempers the disappointment.

Biggest question(s): How do the visual judges justify the spreads given the Cabs shaky visual performance in the closer? Design? Yes. Excellence? Not tonight.

Was the Music effect judge watching the same show as me (Cabs higher in repertoire effectiveness was a puzzler, though he nailed it on performer effectiveness)

Overall: Not this year.

Thanks for the review. I will consider these remarks when I perform again this weekend.

I hope you are all planning on attending the Grand Prix in Clifton, NJ tommorow!!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic