Quick Allentown Saturday Review

Actually, and not to argue, but as a point of clarification... there was at LEAST a 20 minute gap between the end of the last competing corps (both nights) and the first lick from the drumline that played the mixed brass / drum major retreat. They filled this space (both nights) with some silly "most accurate drummer" contest, wherein three guys who had stopped by a booth earlier took turns playing exercises on a drum pad that NO ONE AT ALL COULD HEAR. Then one of the three guys was crowned most accurate drummer. Trust me, it was that bad. So yes, there COULD have been a performing ensemble on the field between the last corps and the scores.

Just sayin'

w/Stp: i went souvie shopping in that gap both nights. plenty of time!

I believe those seats are condemned.

As for fixing them up...the cost is too high for the Allentown Board of Ed, as they really don't need those stands for games. I think I read once that DCI might kick in a few $$ to help if A'town would also chip in, but that's a shaky memory.

they had a sign up on those stairs that said corps staff only.

and umm.. yeah. crossmen extreme.... awful sound. nice thought and effort, but the arrangement baffled both myself and several other music majors i was with, and the balance was very off.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tomayto....tomahto.....poetato.......potahto

Hmmmmmmm......music majors and all????? I'm supposed to be impressed?

w/Stp: i went souvie shopping in that gap both nights. plenty of time!

they had a sign up on those stairs that said corps staff only.

and umm.. yeah. crossmen extreme.... awful sound. nice thought and effort, but the arrangement baffled both myself and several other music majors i was with, and the balance was very off.

I wonder if this forum existed back in 93, what people would be saying about Star's show. Please do not interpret this as a pro Cadet post. For the record, I can't stand the narration. Love the music. I'm just comparing the reaction and it seems like Mr Hoppy feels like he is Mr Mason. I hope not and I hope that this experiment would...well....Let's wait 10 years to see if we are in awe and can't stop posting about how innovative the show was, or ....(Men in Black). it never happened.

Edited by Jeffe77

tomayto....tomahto.....poetato.......potahto

no, i'm just mentioning that to say that i have slightly more idea what i'm listening to than joe schmoe band kid from high school. it's my profession. i understand that there were issues with instruments not being the usual, and it showed. nothing more, nothing less. not a slam on the people involved.

:laugh:

Where to start.Well,let's start with the stadium. Sorry to all you Allentown folks but that stadium is uncomfortable. My local high school stadium in Cumberland Maryland(a sorry town) is more comfortable. There was no leg room at all and I'm not a tall person(5'10").Was seated in section J but low to the field(row 7) so I couldn't see drill design. These were the "best seats available" when I bought tickets on DCI.org in early Feb. Now on to the top 4 performances.

I'm not a marching afficiado but do enjoy marching bands.I was my high school drum major for 2 years so I have a little experience. The top corps was all pretty decent.

Cadets-clean as usual and good sound.Probably because I couldn't see the drill,but to me the performance was a little lackluster. Cadets is one of my favorite corps but I've enjoyed past shows much better. :laugh:

Phantom-now this is what I expect from a top drum corp.They pretty much blew us away down close to the field like that. I hope the clean it up and move up to the top 3 at finals. :blink:

Santa Clara-again,a huge SCV fan since the late 80's but this show bored me and my friends. Where was the WOW that I expect from SCV. Not nearly the sound I was expecting after I bragged them up to my friends. Clean,but boring. :blink:

Carolina Crown-not really a corp I usually pay much attention to but that changed on Sat. They brought the wow and the guard plays it to the hilt!Way to go Crown. Sorry but I would've put them ahead of SCV. :)

Let's hope these corps get a little more interesting and cleaner and hopefully things might get shaken up.That would be fun!

Was at Sunday's show to and even though not a huge B.D. fan and I am a Cavies fan,I agree with the results that night.

Cavies have a great opening half(love the sit-n-spins).If they change up that last half,the can be in the mix even more.Come on Cavies! Don't dissapoint. b**bs

Santa Clara-again,a huge SCV fan since the late 80's but this show bored me and my friends. Where was the WOW that I expect from SCV. Not nearly the sound I was expecting after I bragged them up to my friends. Clean,but boring. :laugh:

I never really understand it when Ravel bores people. But hey, guess it's just my personal opinion..... I'm a big Ravel fan. Just wondering.... have you ever heard the originals? You should check them out if not, it's amazing music.

Anywho, thanks for the review! :)

No, you're supposed to take constructive criticism, and maybe change your attitude about what you're presenting to the public. You are representing drum & bugle corps...this isn't 14th century England. (As you well know)

More than one person here said that the herald trumpets were a bad idea and sounded terrible - ya think maybe it's not a coincidence?

Just a thought.

Anybody that leaves in the middle of a show is not only rude - but is self serving and just wants to make a point of disrespecting the corps on the field. Basically, people are do this are just trying to make a scene to prove their point, but there are much better and more respectful ways to do this.

Not supporting walking out (during) a performance, but you have to think, what if I stay to give the show a chance but just can't stand the trite narration and amateurish delivery? I'm sorry, but I am NOT gonna sit there and just "take it". I feel that strongly about it. If I were to walk out, I would probably move to the front before the show started and stand during it, near the gate so as not to disturb anyone else.

As for "much better and more respectful ways to do this"....what ways would those be? Us "anti-ampers" have protested constantly on these boards and we are even told to change the subject sometimes by the moderators. Also, back when amplification was first used, we tried signing a petition and sending it to DCI...did it help at all? NO, of course not, because they had made up their minds...Anyway, DON'T walk out during a show, please..I HATE that...at least move down to the front and stand near the gate so you don't disturb people....I hope the Cadets can win me over this year. It's not going to happen with the current package, however....and by the way, I feel this thread has been taken over by the Cadet borg... ^0^

No, you're supposed to take constructive criticism, and maybe change your attitude about what you're presenting to the public. You are representing drum & bugle corps...this isn't 14th century England. (As you well know)

More than one person here said that the herald trumpets were a bad idea and sounded terrible - ya think maybe it's not a coincidence?

Just a thought.

Chris

I know you well enough to know that you are not just another one of those smug and self righteous drum corps fans... it may surprise you to know that there were also a good number of people that thought the herald trumpets were a great idea, and these individuals came up to me and said so face to face... people that even you would show respect for... with comments such as "classy", "original", "cool", etc... as far as changing attitude, taking a chance and doing something different isn't at all a bad idea. Some liked it, some didn't...I would say that sets us at par with the rest of drum corps. as a former Bushwacker I would think that you would understand that. Just because someone didn't like it is no reason at all not to do it.

As far as comments about the arrangement, perhaps these young graduates will come to realize some day that you don't stop learning about the fine art of arranging when you graduate from school and that there are styles that they didn't cover in generic arrangement 101. The man who scored our version of the anthem is a highly respected and long time arranger, he has a very successful career history to back up his theory on composition.

your opinions being noted, perhaps you would enjoy our mini corps competition piece better, since it is more of what YOU would expect from a drum corps... check it out if you get to Rochester. Hope to see you there, Bud.

Kevin - I didn't mean to come down on the mini corps - I actually didn't see/hear the herald trumpets, so I have no basis for any personal comments. I was in the lot drinking beer with my friends.

I'm sure the mini corps is gonna kick butt. I can't wait to see it. Sorry to jump down your throats like that.