Quick Allentown Saturday Review

of course not .... DCI has to put the DCA corps on first so hardly anyone sees them so then people dont know that DCI is REALLY lying when they say that it all ends at 21

Wouldn't it be easier to accomplish this eeeevil plot by not inviting the DCA corps at all? Yes, DCI doesn't want anyone to march after they age out...yeah that's it.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's DCI's show. They set the order of appearance.... period. They very well could have not bothered inviting an all-age corps to perform..... but to their credit, they extended the invitation to the Buccaneers, for the second year in a row.

Hey..... I'm a DCA guy, and I had no problem whatsoever with the Bucs opening the show. The Buccaneers looked very good, IMO...... in fact, I heard some audience members commenting on how impressed they were with the Bucs, considering the fact that this is a corps that basically rehearses twice a week.

Hats off to the Buccaneers for again being an outstanding representative of DCA and the all-age segment of the activity.

Fran

Thank you, Fran. I know I speak for all of us in the Buccaneers organization when I say that we were thrilled to be invited to perform and delighted to do so -- first in order, last in order, in the middle, wherever. One of the benefits of going on first is that our members got to see some GREAT performances last night.

It's an opportunity to show some great drum corps fans what we can do with such a compressed rehearsal and performance schedule, and we were pleased with the crowd's response to what was only our fourth performance of the summer. We have a lot of work ahead of us this summer to get the BLUE ERA beast into championship form!

Again, thanks to Dan Acheson, DCI and the Eastern Classic organizing committee for the kind invitation to perform and for exceptional hospitality.

Edited by TomMoore

Cadets - 2007 DCI WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!!!!

Please, Take me now!

RM - anyone other than Cadets, BD, or Cavies, PLEASE!

ampssuck

Edited by Rocketman

I disagree. In fact, I think Phantom has to worry more about falling behind Crown, SCV, and Bluecoats. I think this show stands a much better chance of finishing 6th or 7th than 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.

That being said, I do not feel one bit sorry for the members of the Cadets. I have won DCI finals. I know what an unbelievably great feeling that is. Come Saturday night in Pasadena, the members of the 2007 Cadets will also know how that feels. In all reality the Cadets have pulled away, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they went unbeaten for the rest of the season.

I'll admit - I absolutely HATE the narration. But, the horns are fantastic, the drums are fantastic, the guard is fantastic, the drill is fantastic, the brass book is very well written, the drum book is very well written. Narration or not, this is a championship designed show, and it's going to win....based on the judging criteria.

Cadets - 2007 DCI WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!!!!

Believe me, as with the last past two years, Phantom Regiment has a few tricks up their sleeves. It is still early as this show will be in the thick of the competition come August!!!

Go Phantom!!!!!!!!! :music::music::music:

Comments like yours do more damage to your fan base than good. It wasn't too long ago that I was becoming quite a DCA enthusiast but in all honesty, it's comments like these that I read here and heard at DCA finals (at random.. not just once or twice.. but REGULARLY) when I made the trip out to attend that REALLY turned me off. DCA may not miss it but they won't be seeing ANY of my money until attitudes like yours are the exception, not the rule.

Stef, with all due respect, and you know I love ya.....

I really think comments like the one you reacted to ARE the exception, and not the rule, among all-age fans. Heck, I can't say I blame you for reacting the way you have...... I, too, can't stand stuff like that. But I've been around the all-age activity for a long, long time..... and I honestly can say I hear fewer such disparaging comments now than I did in the past. And the negative comments I do hear..... well, I've gotten pretty good at simply tuning them out. It helps keep my blood pressure down. :)

I think back to College Park in 2000.... my last trip to DCI Championships...... and how much it bothered me at the age-out ceremony when I heard, several times, the mantra of "now that your drum corps career is over..." meaning that once you aged out of DCI, there was nowhere else to go. That, quite honestly, ticked me off, since it was a distortion of the truth.

But that did not prevent me from continuing to enjoy junior corps for what they bring to the table. I would not have wasted my time yesterday and driven to Allentown if I didn't feel I was going to enjoy myself. And I did enjoy myself, and for the most part liked what I saw on the field. And, as an added bonus, I got to meet Sean King's mom and dad. :P

I would respectfully ask you to take the "long view" here and not let a few boneheads ruin your appreciation for the all-age drum corps activity.

And now, back to our regularly-scheduled Allentown review thread.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

umm.. maybe you didn't know this but tabulation is done by computer now and is nearly instant.. certainly not enough of a delay between last corps and show announcements to put another corps or exhibition on the field.

as for your band comments *SNORE* I've seen better slams in a 6th grade hockey game.

Grow up.

Actually, and not to argue, but as a point of clarification... there was at LEAST a 20 minute gap between the end of the last competing corps (both nights) and the first lick from the drumline that played the mixed brass / drum major retreat. They filled this space (both nights) with some silly "most accurate drummer" contest, wherein three guys who had stopped by a booth earlier took turns playing exercises on a drum pad that NO ONE AT ALL COULD HEAR. Then one of the three guys was crowned most accurate drummer. Trust me, it was that bad. So yes, there COULD have been a performing ensemble on the field between the last corps and the scores.

Just sayin'

Somewhere in the middle - in a place appropriate for their previous scores or just before/just after intermission.

But you don't think that DCI plays games with DCA corps?

Dan

Why would DCI interrupt the actual competition (the real purpose for the show) for an exhibition corps?

Personally, I've never seen that happen.

I would think you'd be happy the Bucs are performing at such a large event.

Why would DCI interrupt the actual competition (the real purpose for the show) for an exhibition corps?

Personally, I've never seen that happen.

I would think you'd be happy the Bucs are performing at such a large event.

Mike:

The Bucs were delighted to perform for this great crowd at this great event, and we were honored to be invited to do so. No one in the corps or its administration felt in any way 'slighted' by the 6:30 start time.

Bucs did just fine right where they were, played to an appreciative crowd, unlike the past where cabs alumni were

welcomed by a DCI crowd that was quick out the door following the contest ( they were on after )

Hey Tom Moore - how about replacing the red flags in Rhapsody with a blue one featuring the Buc Brand and a 50

I'll bet you can line up folks ( myself being one ) to prepurchase with delivery after the season :)

Allentown Night one – short review

A few words of intro.

3. My comments will be basically on overall show design and any elements that IMHO deserve attention/praise. Etc.

Cadets – 85.70 – People actually got up in the middle of the show and left in disgust.

Narration in the Cadets show is no secret at this point. You are given plenty of time between each corps should you choose not to watch. The correct time to leave a performance is before they begin. Any respectful drum corps fan knows not to disturb others by leaving in the middle of anyone's performance (particularly a delibrate exit). Hey folks seems like you're going to be fighting this one all the way to Pasedena -- NEWFLASH!!! Cadets are using narration in their production of "This I Believe". Well if you choose not watch the Cadets's performance in Pasedena at least you'll be getting in most of the show because it's looking like Cadets will be performing rather late.

Irving

Fan of the Arts