Quick Allentown Saturday Review

And yet critics of the show are constantly told that the narration is being trimmed down, and that they should give the show a second chance. ###### if they do, ###### if they don't....

So do you think it is OK for a fan or a few fans to get up out of their seats and impact the enjoyment of others around them, just because THEY don't like something?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again...no big secret the Cadets have not even put on the tag to their show. So if you want to use the phrase "a few tricks up their sleeves"; feel free to do so. History speaks for itself and the Cadets middle name is August.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

So is it "The August Cadets" or "Cadets August Sponsored by Youth Education in the Arts"?

:doh:

Nice job Cadets. I can't blame the members for the narration thing, obviously - it's the direction Hopkins has taken the corps. Is it the right direction? Who knows, only time will tell, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. I did see a few t-shirts that read "This I Believe: Shut Up and Play", which I chuckled over, and personally agreed with, but I'd NEVER leave during a corps performance. That's not cool. <_<

If there has been any one constant in our activity, it's been CHANGE and EMBRACING that change; No valves/2 valves/3 valves, G/B Flat, no girls in the guard/girls in the guard, no sidelined pit/sidelined pit, narration/no narration, amps/no amps, tick system, inspections, show lengths, etc etc etc - the list goes on. Look at all that stuff I just typed - ALL that stuff we've argued about over the last 50 years or so...and lookie here, there's still thousands of drum corps fans left supporting the activity and making it grow. How about them apples. B)

By the way - I have Devils taking Cadets in Pasadena. I also have Crown over Phantom. I went to Crown's rehearsal yesterday - they're the real deal, folks..not that PR isn't - but it seems like PR has less work to do, and Crown has a TON of stuff theat they will be adding to their show, from what I heard and saw.

We'll see.

ONE MORE THING - How long has the Cadets staff been checking the facial hair of the hornline members before performances?? I've never seen that done at Cadets, and it just boggled my mind at how DEAD SERIOUS the staff member was, while he was inspecting every single male horn player's face for the slightest amount of stubble. :unsure:

Edited by bumo27

And yet critics of the show are constantly told that the narration is being trimmed down, and that they should give the show a second chance. ###### if they do, ###### if they don't....

Sounds like you want to like the Cadets but can't seem to get around your narration problem (you are not alone). I wish I could help you but it seems like the only way to see the final product is to see it to the end. You would have had narration out completely if it were your decision; fortunately the Cadet staff see differently.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

So is it "The August Cadets" or "Cadets August Sponsored by Youth Education in the Arts"?

:unsure:

By the way - I have Devils taking Cadets in Pasadena. I also have Crown over Phantom. I went to Crown's rehearsal yesterday - they're the real deal, folks..not that PR isn't - but it seems like PR has less work to do, and Crown has a TON of stuff theat they will be adding to their show, from what I heard and saw.

I won't disagree with you there; yes Cadets are part of the contender group :) but here's how I see it with Crown not finishing over PR -- the championship week is August 8-12 and I feel Crown will peak way before that. Didn't need a crystal ball to call that one. Those things happen.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

ONE MORE THING - How long has the Cadets staff been checking the facial hair of the hornline members before performances?? I've never seen that done at Cadets, and it just boggled my mind at how DEAD SERIOUS the staff member was, while he was inspecting every single male horn player's face for the slightest amount of stubble. :unsure:

You mean he bypassed the females? How sexist of him! :P

Actually, even in MY marching era the corps was VERY stringent in the "hair rules". We had a cutoff date (possible May 1, if memory serves) when we had to have our hair cut...no sideburns and no hair touching the collar. (this WAS long-hair era 1970, by the way). Of course...NO facal hair at all was permitted.

Just like the Bridgemen!

Mike:

The Bucs were delighted to perform for this great crowd at this great event, and we were honored to be invited to do so. No one in the corps or its administration felt in any way 'slighted' by the 6:30 start time.

I think you played in 05 as well....I hope it's an annual tradition!

I was there, also (Sat. only), so I will add my opinions.

First, I was disappointed to see that the best seats in the house still are not open to the public. I assume this is because of the poor condition of the upper bleachers making them unsafe. When are the Allentown stadium officials going to realize this seriously compromises the viewing experience from this stadium (this is from someone with 15 yard line side B 10th row seats "best seats available" purchased several weeks prior).

I believe those seats are condemned.

As for fixing them up...the cost is too high for the Allentown Board of Ed, as they really don't need those stands for games. I think I read once that DCI might kick in a few $$ to help if A'town would also chip in, but that's a shaky memory.

Stef, with all due respect, and you know I love ya.....

I really think comments like the one you reacted to ARE the exception, and not the rule, among all-age fans. Heck, I can't say I blame you for reacting the way you have...... I, too, can't stand stuff like that. But I've been around the all-age activity for a long, long time..... and I honestly can say I hear fewer such disparaging comments now than I did in the past. And the negative comments I do hear..... well, I've gotten pretty good at simply tuning them out. It helps keep my blood pressure down. :)

I think back to College Park in 2000.... my last trip to DCI Championships...... and how much it bothered me at the age-out ceremony when I heard, several times, the mantra of "now that your drum corps career is over..." meaning that once you aged out of DCI, there was nowhere else to go. That, quite honestly, ticked me off, since it was a distortion of the truth.

But that did not prevent me from continuing to enjoy junior corps for what they bring to the table. I would not have wasted my time yesterday and driven to Allentown if I didn't feel I was going to enjoy myself. And I did enjoy myself, and for the most part liked what I saw on the field. And, as an added bonus, I got to meet Sean King's mom and dad. :P

I would respectfully ask you to take the "long view" here and not let a few boneheads ruin your appreciation for the all-age drum corps activity.

I love you, too, Fran.. and you know what a firecracker I can be.. I haven't been able to tune them out yet.

I know the attitudes like his will fade but my experience with it so far has been too frequent to ignore or look past. I won't say DCA is out of my life forever.. just as DCI wasn't out of yours.. but if it's been 7 years, has that statement from DCI been so prevalent since it was pointed out? In my experience, I don't notice it and haven't since 2000 when it first became a battle cry -- and I marched seniors, too!

I assure you I am not that short-sighted.. my statement probably should have read "until that attitude becomes the exception I see/hear/read, DCA will not see me or my wallet."

I gotta be me! :)

Stef

Fran Fan

I think you played in 05 as well....I hope it's an annual tradition!

Alas, we did not. That would've been a major thrill for me personally, as I was on the field that year. Would've been great to share Variations in B and Adagio for Strings with the crowd!

Thanks for the kind words, Mike.