MI CITY review?

Broadly, I like what the Cavies are doing this year and support their ENTERTAINING show design. Specifically, I've pointed out changes to their show that I either like or dislike. Some folks like to know these things so they have some specifics to look for on their next viewing ... and compare their own opinion with mine .... and with their opinion of their prior viewing. THIS ISN'T RAMD!!!!!!!!!

Broadly, you've trivialized this debate to mud slinging (on your part) and personal attacks in defense of your brotherhood. Specifically, you've asked pointed questions to which I've given pointed answers based on my opinion. Sorry you don't like what I have to say .... but that's life.

Maybe some day when I retire ... I'll go back to teaching. Until then, I have bills to pay and teaching drum corps won't cover it. Like you, I'll enjoy my spare time and perform when I can. I didn't get to see your show, but I did hear it from outside the stadium. Not sure why you guys went on last (since DCI policy is for EXH. corps to go on before the Jrs), but I guess it was because it was your home show. BTW, I dig your hats.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For being my first performance for drum and bugle corps with the Lakeshoremen I was just in AWW that I was on the field. The whole corps standing on the field working as one unit there is nothing like it, Knowing that the fans are listening to you. After the Parade I was over yesterday we walked behind the stadium to where we entered and just looking back its amazing. I just thought you people would like to here what my experience with performing at Michigan City was like. :music:

Not feeling up to a review, but here are some pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/machine74

I apologize for the uneven amount of photos from corps to corps. In some cases, I just didn't get many good shots. Even some of the ones I posted are compositionally suspect..... I have a new respect for what Jolesch does in trying to get decent photos of moving performers.

Edited by Machine

And where the **** is the review for this show?

I guess I'll give you what I've got. Remember I had bad seats and only saw a few corps:

AMES FIELD

What an impressive little stadium this is. Surrounded in brick, the sound carries very well with little reverberation. The natural grass turf was absolutely pristine, although I think I found the only divit on the entire field while performing. The stands were packed full from the very start. In all my years in and around drum corps, this stadium has to be the best kept secret. Although, I think the entire town of MI City and surrounding coastline knew we were there due to the overpowering PA system in the stadium (bring earplugs to use between corps). If you come to Michigan City in the future, bring an umbrella ..... there's little to NO shade in this town. And don't let the Nuclear Reactor, accompanied by the slow rising and rolling cloud from it's stack, 3 miles behind the stadium bother you :) All in all, a great night and place for drum corps.

Pioneer:

I only had the pleasure of watching them troop the stands while playing one of their signature Irish tunes at quarter step. The crowd ate it up and applauded in time with the corps until they left the field. Based on what I heard and saw at that point, this corps is much improved and I look forward to seeing their full show.

Blue Stars:

As I said, I had a hard time getting the full effect of the uniforms. They seem to use it quite a bit in the show (extending the white leg across their body to create a visual mood change that didn't always seem to match the musical presentation). The mix of Firebird and Swan Lake throughout the show works well. The arranging is creative and gives the brass and pit ample opportunity to show off their musicality and technique. They seemed to be handling their extended phrases pretty well at this show (in comparison to the APD from Omaha). I'm hoping this new uniform is a one time deal. I know they needed an update, but I'm not sure how long they can keep this look and still use it effectively. Overall, the show seems a bit flat with no major pinnacle to reach for. Hopefully, it's just a matter of the staff milking the dynamics, but I feel there's something missing in the total concept and pacing of the show. They've definitely stepped up the demand this year which is keeping them in the hunt for finals, but they will need to start executing and enhancing if they wish to continue their climb.

Colts:

I saw pictures of the new look ... I had a certain expectation that I would like it ... but man are they STRIKING. The red plooms in the sunlight are REDDDDD! I found myself paying most attention to their visual performance presentation throughout the show. They have an interesting horns up/down procedure. It's kind of a mix of pushing the horns down to the belly button (with the horns level at an extremely lowered playing position) then raising them at a rate that accelerates to a crisp snap at the top. I couldn't really break it down better than that because (just about) every horn's up/down was done in massive ripples that always accentuated the visual form. Pretty cool stuff. They also do some neat rippled HOP turnarounds. You've gotta see it! Complaints on visual, the forward march looks a bit over exaggerated in it's breakdown (however, they perform it very well as a corps). The backward march isn't executed very well. There was alot of leaning and giving in to momentum with the upper body. The leg almost seems too stiff and caused a lot of bouncing. Surprisingly, it didn't transfer through the horns as often or as pronounced as I would expect.

Musically, this hornline has excellent control at the lower dynamic range (low brass in particular). They have yet to open up the sound, but their approach to the instrument is well rehearsed and showing promise. With regard to the entire musical book, this is my first view and first listen to the show. I was so taken with the complex visual program that I often ignored the music from my poor vantage point (UNTIL THEY MADE ME LISTEN). They did make me listen a few times. Some very nice musical moments, and thank you for taking the opportunity to chill on the visual and let us really focus on your playing. The flugel soloist DEMANDED your complete and undivided attention with his silky smooth tone, attention to detail and soaring sonority. This young man has a professional future.

All in all, this show felt like it had a much larger spread over Blue Stars than the scores would dictate. I see Colts in Finals barring some miraculous surges from their competitors. Can't wait to see repeated viewings of this show so I can fully enjoy the depth of the design. It wasn't overly complicated, but there was plenty of meat that will bring me back to the table for 3rd and 4th helpings.

Cavaliers:

5th or 6th viewing at this point if you count rehearsal days. The overall show is starting to take more shape, but the closer is still unchanged at this point (BLAH and MEH). I'm sure this will be changed sometime this month. Musically: The opening soloist was ON tonight. He milked every second of it with plenty of polish and swagger. It sounded like the staff has given him a bit more freedom to work with. The opening impact didn't really impact me, but it got the crowd going nonetheless. The second movement fugue seemed to have some fuzz tonight in the battery. Not sure what happened, but it's only the beginning of July where consistency is concerned. The changes to the Third Movement "Pressure" worked really well, but as I stated and will continue to opine ... it's a major hose and rehash of "fight club". A good chunk of the brass book was ripped out in order to add this orated segment to the show. I'm sure the crowd will love it, it's pretty decent but I would rather hear them play. The show is Visually getting cleaner but there's still alot of excessive movement in the lower body (as per their style) that seems over-exaggerated and looks very muddy from a timing standpoint. Hopefully, timing will clean up the look, but I get the feeling either some of the men are over hyping the leg movement ... or others aren't up to their level yet. Not sure which is which. Overall, a cleaner show for Cavies which was reflected in their score .... keep cleaning, fix the closer and add in the emotion .. and you've got a strong contender.

Didn't see Classic Cavies, Legends, Coats, Pioneer, Glassmen or LakeShoremen ( :P ) tonight so I can't comment.

Hopefully, you'll find the same BALANCE in this review as in my prior reviews. If not ... have a nice day! :)

Edited by supersop

Interesting that you bring that up about Pressure. I thought it was a ripoff of Fight Club way back in Oswego and Bloomington. How did they gank it further?

Interesting that you bring that up about Pressure. I thought it was a ripoff of Fight Club way back in Oswego and Bloomington. How did they gank it further?

Last I saw them was Kzoo ... now MI City. It wasn't there in Kzoo. It wasn't there on their off days when they practiced in Alma MI. After the first 2 "pressure" statements .. it goes into a long segment with more "pressure" statements that are syncopated, much like where they hornline used counting in fight club but instead use the word Pressure. Snip, woooosh, rehash. That's all I'm sayin. It works, but it's nothing new.

If people really wanna be wiseasses, they should start counting "1 2 and 4, 1 and 3 4" to the beat. Frankly, I'm considering it!

When I saw it, they said "pressure" a few times, but not nearly as much as the Fight Club counting of '02. Oh well.

Edited by The Nagging Cough!

" A good chunk of the brass book was ripped out in order to add this orated segment to the show. I'm sure the crowd will love it, it's pretty decent but I would rather hear them play. "

not true. unless you consider one or two bars a 'good chunk.' At least according to my recording....