MI CITY review?

Sorry Dude, it's a cooling tower, not a reactor. If you drive past, you can see the water spray. If memory serves, they use coal at the power plant.

Michigan has the nuclear plant, not Indiana. Remember Cook, just off of I-94?

I looked into it further and you're right ...... I didn't realize a cooling tower looked so much like a Nuclear Reactor Stack.

Michigan_City_cooling_tower.jpg

Here's an interesting story as to why it was built:

An Environmental Error

Many residents and visitors to Michigan City consider the cooling tower ugly, an example of industrial blight. It is on the lakefront property of the Northern Indiana Public Service Company (NIPSCO). The tower certainly can be branded an environmental error, the result of a dispute several decades ago between environmentalists and NIPSCO. The well-meaning, but perhaps misguided, environmentalists didn't want NIPSCO discharging hot water into the lake. This would raise water temperatures near the outlet a miniscule few degrees, thus changing the habitat for fish. Some locals believe NIPSCO erected the cooling tower as an act of environmental revenge: "If you don't want hot water, we'll give you something ugly that you'll have to look at the rest of your lives!"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic