Some Allentown Frustration

Not buying it. And it's unprovable anyway. As I stated in a previous thread, people tend to look at a few big shows when the numbers from a certain judge aren't what they want to see, but there are probably numerous other examples of that same judge giving that corps very good numbers and even having them above other corps (who are probably then thinking that this judge is out to get THEM!). But people never talk about when the numbers/placements are fine or when they actually are higher. They focus on when they are down...and magnify the situation when it happens at a big show. Alan's a good judge, and I don't think he has some sort of personal vendetta against the Carolina Crown. Unless he's recalling that time when Crown killed his dog. :P

:unsure: Dogs aren't allowed in the paddock or the starting gate. :doh:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you care? You've already made up your mind about it and nothing I say will convince you otherwise. He obviously hates the Carolina Crown. lol

I didn't say he hates Carolina Crown. You implied that with another poster I don't know him from Adam's house cat. I have no beef in this, other than looking for your counter to what he posted.

Im sorry but if that isnt just really weird and suspicious looking I don't know what is.

Just about every year with every corps there are one or more judges that are an anomaly. "If judge X is on the panel tonight we'll have a 'good' vis. performance score." or "if Judy Y is here tonight, expect the brass score to go down." It happens. Maybe Kristensen doesn't like Crown's writing. Or maybe he thinks they don't have solid technique and is holding them to a higher standard than other judges are. Who knows. But it's nothing new, and will probably push Crown to get even better.

I didn't say he hates Carolina Crown. You implied that with another poster I don't know him from Adam's house cat. I have no beef in this, other than looking for your counter to what he posted.

He obviously doesn't like the Carolina Crown and that's why their score was so low....it's the only answer that will satisfy someone who thinks that a judge is out to get a certain corps. No need from any counter from me...I've already stated my position on the matter and I stand by it.

He obviously doesn't like the Carolina Crown and that's why their score was so low....it's the only answer that will satisfy someone who thinks that a judge is out to get a certain corps. No need from any counter from me...I've already stated my position on the matter and I stand by it.

Right on. Ultimately everyone thinks their corps should be winning and some immature or inexperienced people will keep hunting till they find something malicious to prove they are right. It's clear that Crown is in fact the best corps, and the judges are all in it together to keep them down. These two inconsistent scores prove exactly that!! :unsure:

I hate that my first post is laced with a negative tone but this just bothers me.

I looked at the percussion scores from last night in Allentown and something really stood out.

Why is it that the percussion judges can be very consistent for everyone but crown? As you can see, there was a 1.30 difference in total score for the two sets of judges. Seems to me that they had no problem keeping a consistent measurement with everyone else.

This has been mentioned before, the two judges are at different vantage points. One judge is on the field, the other in the stands. They are judging very different aspects of a percussion line. The field judge is looking at individual quality of sound and sectional balance, the stand judge is looking at the big picture, ensemble issues between pit and battery, sound projection, etc. I'm not sure which judge was where, but it seems to me that Crown just isn't doing well in one of these than the other. The scores shouldn't necessarily be similar.

Anyone know where the Pipitone and Kristensen were standing?

Spirit dropped 2.2 in GE alone. That seems odd to me.

I'd say their 4 point jump the show before that you are comparing the Allentown scores to are what was odd. Their Allentown scores were more consistent with where they had been and their trends.

And I'll just throw it out there... Troop's Allentown score was below where they were last Saturday. I'm sure there are other examples of similar situations. I'm not exactly going to QQ over Crown. :)

I understand your frustration here, but I have to honestly say, they have not really improved in the past week. They had a rough show in Allentown. I saw and heard things that I had not heard nor seen the week earlier. There appear to have been some changes put in recently, and they were not executed very well. There were other things that were better. Overall, I have to say they have not improved much at all in the past week. The changes they addedd do seem to put the corps in a better position to execute better in the coming weeks though. Don't sweat it. Troop put on a great show, and the crowd responded very well to their performance.

And I'll just throw it out there... Troop's Allentown score was below where they were last Saturday. I'm sure there are other examples of similar situations. I'm not exactly going to QQ over Crown. :)

Spirit's scores went down. That's because there were more Corps competing in Allentown and the Corps Spiriit competed against were of higher quality too. No real surprise here if one understands how this frequently happens and the reason why. It's not at all illogical either if Spirit might have done a better performance too, but got a lower score in Allentown from earlier in the week. The point to remember is that they are not competing against themselves. Nor with Corps not in competition that night. They are competing in competition in COMPARISON to others on that particular nite. Thus, scores can easily go up or down,. The performance level is in relationship to others, not the performance level they did in an earlier show earlier in the week ( which may not have been as strong either , but was scored higher in that competition)

Edited by X DM

Right on. Ultimately everyone thinks their corps should be winning and some immature or inexperienced people will keep hunting till they find something malicious to prove they are right. It's clear that Crown is in fact the best corps, and the judges are all in it together to keep them down. These two inconsistent scores prove exactly that!! :unsure:

I don't think it was a lack of maturity or am malicious act to bring up a question. The original poster brought up something that they thought was kinda wierd, that's all.

Whatever, it is July 9th for the love of Pete.