Cavaliers Technique Question

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can any Cavalier alums please explain the marching technique to me?

I appreciate the technique and how it is different from anyone else, and it has obviously worked well for them. It just never seems as clean as any other technique out there. There are many variations from person to person in how much the leg is bent when the foot passes through on the & counts, and that seems to be okay year after year. They have the 2nd highest visual performance score right now and from an & count timing and & count definition standpoint and I just don’t see how that is happening. Is it because it is so unique that the lack of & count definition is okay or more difficult to read then the Blue Devils or Cadets approach?

How high does the foot come off the ground on the bicycle step?

Is the foot parallel to the ground, hanging naturally?

Is there a specific angle in the leg?

I’ve seen pictures of the first step and I’ve always wondered why the weight did not shift off the back heel. The pictures show all of the weight staying on the back foot after taking the left foot forward.

Do the members not move their center of body forward on step 1? Do they have to gain more ground on 2 to make up for this?

I’ve asked these questions to two friends of mine who have marched there and they were not able to define it for me. I’m just curious and confused on how this technique is approached because I would like to be able to understand it better. Maybe I'm just not reading it correctly, but they look much less defined than Phantom, Bluecoats, Cadets, and Crown.

Thanks!

You're pretty confused on this. My suggestion echos others on this thread. I say contact the staff directly, just make sure not to sound too insulting.

Heck, you could even attend a camp or two. I think they do marching at the december camp now.

The Cavaliers marching technique is a complicated one, but once you get it down, it just makes the most sense.

If he's the one doing the marching in that video, than cire is one of the many failures of humanity I have encountered on on the internet.

:P I agree! :P

If he's the one doing the marching in that video, than cire is one of the many failures of humanity I have encountered on on the internet.

I agree. In terms of "failures of humanity" on the internet, he is second only to those who misuse conjunctions.

Can any Cavalier alums please explain the marching technique to me?

I appreciate the technique and how it is different from anyone else, and it has obviously worked well for them. It just never seems as clean as any other technique out there. There are many variations from person to person in how much the leg is bent when the foot passes through on the & counts, and that seems to be okay year after year. They have the 2nd highest visual performance score right now and from an & count timing and & count definition standpoint and I just don’t see how that is happening. Is it because it is so unique that the lack of & count definition is okay or more difficult to read then the Blue Devils or Cadets approach?

How high does the foot come off the ground on the bicycle step?

Is the foot parallel to the ground, hanging naturally?

Is there a specific angle in the leg?

I’ve seen pictures of the first step and I’ve always wondered why the weight did not shift off the back heel. The pictures show all of the weight staying on the back foot after taking the left foot forward.

Do the members not move their center of body forward on step 1? Do they have to gain more ground on 2 to make up for this?

I’ve asked these questions to two friends of mine who have marched there and they were not able to define it for me. I’m just curious and confused on how this technique is approached because I would like to be able to understand it better. Maybe I'm just not reading it correctly, but they look much less defined than Phantom, Bluecoats, Cadets, and Crown.

Thanks!

I think the answer to your question is black pants and black shoes j/k :P