Cavaliers Technique Question

I get so sick and tired of the FMM or just Blue Devil fans that think they are God's gift to marching because of their technique. I could care less about technique, to be honest. What are you doing in your drill, that's what I care about. It's just such an "elitist" attitude that I have seen from many Devils "fans" and FMM...oh, and I love the Blue Devils. This is not intended as a "slam" against them. But, get over yourselves.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

already discussed a painting.

riding a bike? you sit on it with your feet on the ground. put one foot up to the pedal while balancing with your other foot. push forward, bring your 2nd foot to the pedal, balance. pedal. fall over. get up and try it again.

troubleshooting server failures? tell me what your basic troubleshooting steps are. its as simple as that.

console a grieving person. you point your finger and laugh. (just kidding)

troubleshooting is a little different because the problem is always changing. there may be failures that happen a lot so you will know how to fix it. but as long as you know the troubleshooting steps then you will know how to teach troubleshooting. and yes, ive spent many days troubleshooting in the navy, and after. if you dont know the basic troubleshooting steps, then you probably arent that good of a troubleshooter ;)

the same with a grieving person.. because every situation is a little different, but as long as you know the basic foundations you should be alright. and thats what you can teach.

I appreciate the try, but you just can't summarily explain away my examples. I was thinking training wheels for the Bike. I didn't see the painting explanation of your, but either you have the artistic ability, or you don't... No amount of training will make you good. I'm talking about excelling, not fumbling through something, but we can disagree on that. It's okay.

Troubleshooting is something that you can't teach fully. There are basic things that can go wrong, but there are variables that no-one can anticipate. It's truly an art. Now, some of it can be taught, but some of it can't. I certainly can't teach that.

The grieving person thing..... Some people sucks at that and no amount of training is going to help them.

There are just some things you can't explain. Dealing with peers is also another example...

As far a technique, I think that most of it can be explained. I am familiar with how Todd Ryan does thing, and he is wonderful. The Cavies are a little different. It's okay to be different. It's okay to have different priorities. It's okay to teach things differently, without word even. You do what works for you. I do what works for me. It's all good! B)

straight leg > cavies leg

I've done both... I prefer "Cavies leg"....

They both have their uses.... Yes, I remember Todd subdividing where you foot is supposed to be during this part of the count or that part of the count. It was fun. And the circle drill was fun too.... I just don't feel the desire to harp on another corps' style. I like variety.... "Viva la differance".

So it's not at all surprising that cire was the one behind it.

:P

The basics block. Feared by many.

I know its all a matter of opinion, but when the cavies to a basics block in unis, do they look as good as the cadets?

(only using that as a comparison cause ive only seen cadets)

Do the Cavaliers even do a "basics block" today?

Oh, here's another thing... Do the Cavaliers mark time? Hmmmmmm?

Do the Cavaliers even do a "basics block" today?

Oh, here's another thing... Do the Cavaliers mark time? Hmmmmmm?

Why wouldn't they do a basic block? In rehearsal, it was not uncommon to work on technique for hours on end.

Mark time in the arc, never in a show.

it might not look like a big deal.. but thats because thats how they make it look. its very relaxed, separated, and clean. ever hear people say how BDs marching is easy? thats why.

compared to some other corps marching at 180+. they make it really seems like they are marching 180+ and it looks "harder"

people on here get all butt hurt because i actually say how it is. if something is awesome.. i will say it. if something looks or sounds like crap. then it will be noted. regardless of year or corps. of course there is some bias in there to "our" corps (we all do it to some extent) but even if that said corps is not doing so well.. it will be no different than if another corps was in the same position.

BD isnt very well liked on this forum in general. and anyone who doesnt praise cadets, cavies (especially), phantom, etc.. will get shunned upon.

welcome to DCP. opinions not welcomed

I've never really seen where you've given many corps credit on here. I'll have to go back and look for the good, because it looks like you "hate on" corps alot. Last summer was a doosey....

I get so sick and tired of the FMM or just Blue Devil fans that think they are God's gift to marching because of their technique. I could care less about technique, to be honest. What are you doing in your drill, that's what I care about. It's just such an "elitist" attitude that I have seen from many Devils "fans" and FMM...oh, and I love the Blue Devils. This is not intended as a "slam" against them. But, get over yourselves.

I've heard some FMM's be elitist to an extent, but I've never heard fans be elitist about it...