Utterly Disgusted!

still... if you don't support narration in drum corps, don't go to a corps that is notorious for it's inclusion of narration. it's not that complicated.

Did you do a poll from the members of the corps? If so, what were the results of who liked and who didn't like narration? Inquiring minds want to know.

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine wearing a shirt like that or even being friendly with someone who did, but I don't find it disgusting. It's sad more than anything for a couple of reasons. Sad that anybody would obliquely slam what members are performing, and sad that somebody who obviously loves the activity lets one thing they don't like ruin it for them. Just sad overall, I guess.

I can't imagine wearing a shirt like that or even being friendly with someone who did, but I don't find it disgusting. It's sad more than anything for a couple of reasons. Sad that anybody would obliquely slam what members are performing, and sad that somebody who obviously loves the activity lets one thing they don't like ruin it for them. Just sad overall, I guess.

Yet, we see people who deride the President (Bush lied, people died), sports teams... and even honor students (my kid beat up your honor student :P) daily with their outerwear or bumper stickers.

Freedom of expression might lead to some results we don't care for, but that's the price ya pay. :)

Edited by bawker

Maybe wearing one to a show is a bit tastless. I think a better use of the shirt would be to send one to each staff member.

No matter how many times I am hit over the head with amplified vocals in drum corps, I never seem to enjoy it very much. Say what you will about how that is entirely wrong and I am such a troubled person for not "opening my mind" to the wonders of amplified vocals in drum corps. I try to give it a chance. I just don't think it works. I don't find it appealing. I find that it detracts from the show. I cringe everytime I hear somebody doing it.

Not everybody enjoys the same things about the activity. Not everybody should. However, I am not going to appologize for not enjoying the amplified vocals. I am not going to apologize for finding shows without it to be more appealing and entertaining.

One thing I will ask, though, is that I would love for somebody to dig up a proud member that wants to tell everybody his/her drum corps instrument was a microphone. That he/she would put it on his/her member jacker that they marched a microphone in DCI and couldn't be prouder of the achievement.

Makes me wonder if the kids that do the speaking during the Cadets show get something like a gold mike patch for their corps jacket.

Yet, we see people who deride the President (Bush lied, people died), sports teams... and even honor students (my kid beat up your honor student :P) daily with their outerwear or bumper stickers.

Freedom of expression might lead to some results we don't care for, but that's the price ya pay. :)

True.

Bottom line ... There is no such thing as bad publicity.

It doesn't matter if you like Cadets, hate Cadets, or are totally ambivalent about the Cadets ... As long as people are talking about their show, they've done their job.

Nice job - does any one know which Brendan Behan work "There is no such thing as bad publicity" is from? I seem to remember the discussion of emotion, either good or bad, is still emotion. To really voice our desire for something to go away, we need to treat it with ambivalence. ignore it's existence, and it will cease to exist"

I saw the shirt in Allentown and was amused by the slogan, but my thought was that selling the shirt on the street from the side of a car, took money away from the activity and the kids in corps that need our support - and, since it's not about me and my opinion, I choose to give my money to various corps (I have a drawer full of corp supportive shirts depending on the group I like and the group that students I have taught over the years belong to)

Anyway, I digress, but thanks for reminding of Brendan Behan

Not to mention...what happened to the OP's right to speak up against JJ's t-shirt? The original post did not say DCI should ban it from shows...just that the OP didn't like it and suggested no one purchase the thing.

Nothing happened to it. People seem to be discussing the topic. Is that ok to do?

some might even think that deriding a sitting President is what this country was founded on in the first place. Ooops..the CIA is most likely reading this.

Nevermind. I was never here. Shhhh.

<quietly slinks away>