This is an interesting subject that you've raised.

I believe that it supports the criticisms that exist regarding the adjudication process itself. In other words... do the corps actually earn those scores, or is it agreed upon that by a certain date (roughly), the judges begin to give out numbers based upon what has been considered acceptable, based upon past practice?

Did corps "X" receive a 90.00 because they actually performed at that level, or did they receive a 90.00 because they are corps "X" and it's late July? Would a judge dare to not give a certain corps a particular score in late July, if they really felt that the corps didn't earn it? Would they be viewed as incompetent if they didn't give corps "X" a 90.00 in late July?

Hmmm?

...HOOOOT POCKET!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the name of this thread, I thought SCV had announced their 2010 show title...

:P

:laugh:

do the corps actually earn those scores,

Answer: yes

or is it agreed upon that by a certain date (roughly), the judges begin to give out numbers based upon what has been considered acceptable, based upon past practice?

Answer: yes

I suspect that if the season lasted till mid-September, the top 7 corps at DCI would not be maxed out at 100 with the remaining top 12 in the mid-90s. Yet that is what should happen if they continue improving their shows.

So clearly it is not an objective scale.

The whole notion that there is anything remotely objective about scores is laughable.

Edited by MadScout80

From the name of this thread, I thought SCV had announced their 2010 show title...

:P

noooooooo their 2010 show is called "*". It's a show about the 90s baseball steroid era. :satisfied:

The whole notion that there is anything remotely objective about scores is laughable.

I agree. If there were, then year over year scores would be comparable as well. But a 95 (for example) is not judged on the same scale as a 95 10 years age. It's just not. There is no way that every corps that got a 95 in the past ten years or so would score a 95 today with that same show. The numbers adjust themselves to the available scale of 0-100 and the given standard of excellence for the year. A judge looks at a show in June and scores it a 75 based on its potential to be 85 by July and 95 by August.

In short -- scores are meaningless, but spread, and more importantly placement is what the judges are after, imo.

This is an interesting subject that you've raised.

I believe that it supports the criticisms that exist regarding the adjudication process itself. In other words... do the corps actually earn those scores, or is it agreed upon that by a certain date (roughly), the judges begin to give out numbers based upon what has been considered acceptable, based upon past practice?

Did corps "X" receive a 90.00 because they actually performed at that level, or did they receive a 90.00 because they are corps "X" and it's late July? Would a judge dare to not give a certain corps a particular score in late July, if they really felt that the corps didn't earn it? Would they be viewed as incompetent if they didn't give corps "X" a 90.00 in late July?

Hmmm?

Of course they earn the 90's. You're either Box 5 or you're not!

Edited by fourouttheforty

Of course they earn the 90's. You're either Box 5 or you're not!

I agree scores are earned, and I'll agree that there are criteria that attempt to standardize things. But the criteria are ultimately subjective. Box 5 in 1997 was different than Box 5 in 2007.