Whats the earliest show a corps has broke 90? and when do you think it will be broken this year?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If my memory is working right this morning it usually happens the week leading up to San Antonio. :)

a short and quick search found these results

Cavaliers July 15th 2002 broke 90 for first time

Blue Devils July 16th 1996 broke 90 for first time

a short and quick search found these results

Cavaliers July 15th 2002 broke 90 for first time

Blue Devils July 16th 1996 broke 90 for first time

Earliest in the DCI era I believe is July 8, 1984 - Garfield Cadets 91.1. The first to break 90 in the last 10 years were:

1997: July 25 - Blue Devils (91.2)

1998: July 18 - Cadets (90.1)

1999: July 23 - Blue Devils (90.5)

2000: July 23 - Cadets (92.05) and Cavaliers (90)

2001: July 21 - Blue Devils (91)

2002: July 15 - Cavaliers (90) and Cadets (90)

2003: July 15 - Cavaliers (90.1)

2004: July 17 - Cavaliers (90.225)

2005: July 23 - Cavaliers (91.775) and Cadets (91.15)

2006: July 20 - Blue Devils (90.55)

A question more relevent to this year (and a record that may well be broken this year) is what is the highest scoring semi finals 13th place performance to not make finals.

Whats the earliest show a corps has broke 90? and when do you think it will be broken this year?

This is an interesting subject that you've raised.

I believe that it supports the criticisms that exist regarding the adjudication process itself. In other words... do the corps actually earn those scores, or is it agreed upon that by a certain date (roughly), the judges begin to give out numbers based upon what has been considered acceptable, based upon past practice?

Did corps "X" receive a 90.00 because they actually performed at that level, or did they receive a 90.00 because they are corps "X" and it's late July? Would a judge dare to not give a certain corps a particular score in late July, if they really felt that the corps didn't earn it? Would they be viewed as incompetent if they didn't give corps "X" a 90.00 in late July?

Hmmm?

Earliest in the DCI era I believe is July 8, 1984 - Garfield Cadets 91.1

Much as I don't mind pimping my own year, that score was during the first year of the totally subjective system...we were ALL scoring higher than at the same time during the tick. (I remember retreat at Bakersfield...we had vets in the block laughing because the scores were so high so early...87.7 on June 29...Freelancers were 2nd that night with a 73.2....and because SCV wasn't there, we didn't really put out our best effort). We bvroke 90 that year at Modesto with a 92.6....after 2 weeks of cleaning between 1st and 2nd tour.

Compare the same show date in 83....BD at Riverside (the first show I ever saw, in fact!) with a 69.55

And on July 8, 1983, Garfield scored a 80.8

So you can see that using 1984 scores kinda skews the answer.

In 85 the scoring had settled a little....so I;d give the earlist to 90 win to SCV at Drums Along the rockies July 24...91.2 (Bd scored 90.5....but SCV won the show, so i give them the win!)

Thank GOd for "Fromthepressbox.com!"

i say this is when 90 will be broken this year.Murfreesboro, TN