Some questions

Welcome to life, young lad. I was scared the first time I went to my corp's open house...but I brought my mouthpiece. I heard somethings that were merely awesome from the guys who had aged-out already. I twisted my piece in and found out that I could actually do what they were doing. That was surprise No. 1.

Because I came back and joined, I was given the opportunity to be in the All Star Corps of 1992. So what if I stole the lead sheets from the table at rehearsal...just being there - Surprise No. 2

I don't know how THIS evolved, but someone in Canada like our uniforms (we were from Florida if you don't know about Suncoast Sound) and decided to use us in a Energizer commercial - to be aired only in Canada. Surprise No. 3

Now, of course these are not all of the surprises that I encountered. Yeah, there were a couple bad ones, but if I had attended that open house, I'd be kicking myself like the many I have talked to that always WANTED to march, but didn't.

Who cares where you march first. You may be content with where you are. If your first corps is with a small fish, you can break the 'loyalty' and go big fish your next year. Just go march.

$.02

Oh, i'll be marching somehow. Not quitting now, even if all I can manage is college marching band... hopefully with a corps, though. anyone have answers for the other questions?

Come on, fhqwgads. I see you jackin me. Tryin to play like... you know me.

My advice to you is to aim as high as possible. The worst that can happen is that you don't make it, and make friends (and learn from some of the best) at a rehearsal camp.

So if you REALLY are itching to join Bluecoats, if you REALLY want to march Coats, try out there first. Remember, the worst that can happen is that they'll say "not yet, young'un".

With regards to your instrument, the competition for mellos is fierce, and that is an understatement. Get your chops in order. Listen to old Cadets shows, and listen to the sick fast mello licks in their shows. That's what you're going up against: all the hopefuls like yourself, and guys five years older than you with chops of gold. Try to play some yourself, see how it works. Try playing them while jazz running at 200+ bpm. :-D

One avenue that happens quite frequently for mellos is that they don't make it on mello, but, due to the perpetual lack of good baritones, come on as a bari. A bunch of guys in my line were mellos themselves.

Also, it's never too soon to start getting in shape. Tour will hit you like a ton of bricks. Since you ARE marching, (it's now just a matter of where) start improving yourself. If you look solid at audition camps, that will help your chances.

$.02

My advice: Do some research.

The most important thing is finding a corps that hold the same principles as you. How do they teach? How do they treat their members? What is their style? These are very important questions.

If you have any questions about corps, feel free to pm me.

I agree that those are important questions, but i'm not as concerned about that. Defining a corp's identity is far easier than actually getting in said corps. ._.

Can anyone actually answer my questions?

Hello. I am Matt.

I'm new here, and i have questions. many, many questions... some easier than others. Answer if you can, please.

first up: :blink: is it just me, or am I the only one here who has yet to actually be in a corps? Maybe its the immense loyalty and huge numbers of former junior corps members on here, but i have yet to see anyone who is, like myself, looking to audition for the first time come this fall. Maybe everyone who would is already on tour ? >_>

next: now that we've cleared up the fact that I intend to get me some corps experience firsthand, there's a plethora of questions involved with that. I'm a Horn player of 17, and i march mellophone for my high school's band. I am first chair horn and section leader of the mellos. First thing is... what are the standards for Div 1 corps? i suppose the best way to find out would be to attend a camp, but it'd help to know ahead of time if that's way out of my league. What kind of range and technical skills are expected?

alrighty then. some more general questions: Why is Capital not fielding a corps this year? since they're a ten minute drive from me they would be the first place i'd look to audition. I've heard rumors about something with the food... At any rate, will they be fielding a corps next year? their website (as of my last viewing) has no information... If they aren't the plan is to audition for Glassmen alongside my snare buddies. Bluecoats is probably too l33t for a first-timer like myself... but i might attend their camps anyway. <_< Can i shop around for a corps? Say i audition for a div2 corps and make the cut easily, can i also audition for a div1 corps and, if accepted, turn down the Div2 one?

so complicated, this Drum Corps thing. -.-

thanks for your time and patience with my paragraphs (oh noes! wall of text!) of newbiness.

-approximately, matt.

First of all, not many people know what the story is with Cap Reg next year because they don't know what currently lurks in the mind of Rick Bays. Secondly, as a previous poster had stated, mellophone IS a very competitive section to audition for. For some reason unbeknownst to me, women tend to gravitate toward that instrument - and they're good at it too. No free rides for the guys. More importantly, whatever corps you decide to audition for, don't do or say anything stupid, like wear another corps T-shirt at camp or say you're looking yonder toward greener pastures. Things like that can get you cut in a hurry. Also, attitude at auditions is 90% of everything. Superman with a bad attitude won't cut it. As a side note, you probably won't find too many active DCI participants posting on here because many corps frown upon their kids posting on Drum Corps internet sites - it can create problems, and most of them understand that. Well, you asked for advice and that's all I have for you. Keep working hard and good luck in your Drum Corps future. All the best. :)

• 1 month later...

Matt:

Reading your e-mail was quite surprising. I was 8 when I started in a drum and bugle corp. I played first soprano. When I was 15 I went to the 27th Lancers. Now remember this is back in 1980. There really wasn't a try -out per say. I was asked where I played and then was handed in the song. Maybe I was naive and I just knew I could make it. Believe me back then there was only 1 other girl in the Soprano line - so I know I had all eyes on me.

But I did make it and I was a 1st soprano until I graduated in 1985. If you want to go to a drum corp - aim high and just show up and try out. Don't try out for any Division 2 - always play with people better than you or you will play down to that level.

Good luck and I am truly amazed by what you were asking!

27th Lancers Alumni

1980-1985

My response is to try out for any corps you want to, you'd be surprised how different the corps looks in November then they look in august. Just because Bluecoats horn line sounded like it did in the summer doesn't mean that all of those kids came in able to play that book.

The key to making any corps is to show up and shut up. Listen to what the staff says and work on doing the things they tell you to work on. And most importantly don't cut yourself because you don't think you're good enough. Believe me, if the staff doesn't think you can cut it they will let you know. Unless they tell you not to come back, then keep working on the stuff they told you to work on at home and come back the next camp and show them that you listened and did what they asked.

also, you might want to work on your marching. Making a good showing in marching practice will definately go a long way. Cause even if you are a god on your horn, if you can't march then you would be a liability.

Oh, i'll be marching somehow. Not quitting now, even if all I can manage is college marching band... hopefully with a corps, though. anyone have answers for the other questions?

Welcome Matt,

Have you ever thought about DCA all age drum corp. If you live in the Albany area or BErkshires Mass Excelsior Drum and Bugle corp would love to have you. I also play melephone and WE NEED MORE. we are putting on ROBIN HOOD this year very exciting and would love to haveryone we can (up to 65) members join us.

It sounds like you have alot of great playing experience so you would fit in with any corps and DCA corps usually do not have try outs. You join and play your heart out!!.

thanks

Annette