Some questions

Hello. I am Matt.

I'm new here, and i have questions. many, many questions... some easier than others. Answer if you can, please.

first up: :laugh: is it just me, or am I the only one here who has yet to actually be in a corps? Maybe its the immense loyalty and huge numbers of former junior corps members on here, but i have yet to see anyone who is, like myself, looking to audition for the first time come this fall. Maybe everyone who would is already on tour ? >_>

next: now that we've cleared up the fact that I intend to get me some corps experience firsthand, there's a plethora of questions involved with that. I'm a Horn player of 17, and i march mellophone for my high school's band. I am first chair horn and section leader of the mellos. First thing is... what are the standards for Div 1 corps? i suppose the best way to find out would be to attend a camp, but it'd help to know ahead of time if that's way out of my league. What kind of range and technical skills are expected?

alrighty then. some more general questions: Why is Capital not fielding a corps this year? since they're a ten minute drive from me they would be the first place i'd look to audition. I've heard rumors about something with the food... At any rate, will they be fielding a corps next year? their website (as of my last viewing) has no information... If they aren't the plan is to audition for Glassmen alongside my snare buddies. Bluecoats is probably too l33t for a first-timer like myself... but i might attend their camps anyway. <_< Can i shop around for a corps? Say i audition for a div2 corps and make the cut easily, can i also audition for a div1 corps and, if accepted, turn down the Div2 one?

so complicated, this Drum Corps thing. -.-

thanks for your time and patience with my paragraphs (oh noes! wall of text!) of newbiness.

-approximately, matt.

Hi young man . To be in your shoe's again as far as drum corps is concerned would be absolutely awsome ! But from reading your thread and reply's to some other post's I would say that you are coming of with sort of an holier than thou attiude and while I don't want to sound insulting I don't want to see you stick your foot in your mouth either ! Believe me the brass staff's , director's will see right through that instantly !! Listen to Piper this person seem's to know what he or she's talking about . B)

Practise, exercise, take care of yourself and others. When you audition, find your heart and soul, what you believe in, just do it and the rest will work out. We all learn from the experience of doing as much as we learn from education. I am 52 years old and still learning and doing, never any regrets on anything I tried. These posts are 'rooting' for you. Take care and all the best to you.

Alright, now about mellophones. The middle, melodic voice, the voice with expression within harmony but subdued when in solo. Oh, the mellopone. Such a sweet sound, melodic, hence the name, mello. Bring this instrument as a solo or what is called a highlight, again.

Edited by lindap

Don't try out for any Division 2 - always play with people better than you or you will play down to that level.

No comment.

But... Don't march for the number you receive from a few men and women in green shirts one night in August. There's so much more to it than that.