The Birth of DCP...

I remember Bill Cook used to get on "Prodigy" (does anyone else remember this service) and print out show reviews people were doing online.

HAHAHA! Bill did a LOT more than get onto prodigy and print out reviews!! Some of the best debates I can ever remember having were with Bill on Prodigy. He is fun in a debate.

Oh man.. good times..

Stef

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the "good" side of the force, how about Jay Wise? John Keays? Bill Cook? Cindy Jackson? Alan Armstrong?

So many folks...I wonder how many made the migration over to DCP.

Don't forget others like Jeff Wise (Jay's brother), Michael Fath, Niel Bornstein, Vince Lamb (he post occationally as RLamb), Bradley Hall amoung others. Of course let's not forget the pre-cursor to RAMD and that's alt.drumcorps.

i just thought i'd point out according to the RAMD stats link Bawker posted Jeff Ream is the all time high poster on RAMD as well as here. :lolhit:

That was great. I actually found myself singing it as it would have been. My voice even sounded exactly like the guy from Survivor, until I actually sang for real :sshh: :doh:

i do think if Jason Lowe was still here, he'd have given Jeff a run for his money in the sheer number of posts though. and i think we'd all smile a little more. :)

I remember RAMD around 91-92. There were probably less than 50 active posters and only a few posts a day. Remember most of the group (about 25) met in Madison in '92. Remember we had T-shirts made so we'd recognise each other? Cathy Doser, Vince Lamb, Christina Mavroudis are about the only names I remember. I don't even remember what my name was.

I remember RAMD around 91-92. There were probably less than 50 active posters and only a few posts a day. Remember most of the group (about 25) met in Madison in '92. Remember we had T-shirts made so we'd recognise each other? Cathy Doser, Vince Lamb, Christina Mavroudis are about the only names I remember. I don't even remember what my name was.

I remember when I first joined RAMD...it was the fall of 1995, and I walked head-first into an argument between Bobby Hullet and Stuart Rice. Ouch. What a way to welcome a noob. I found my temper getting the better of me many times over the next few years...remember M6Stealth aka Lee Rudnicki? (even though I am sure he still denies this, heh heh....all is forgiven however). That was some classic warfare right there. Or Sac95 (John Sacktig, Jeff's brother)? That was some pure venom right there, and it was over some silly stuff...eventually we "kissed and made up" as well. It got quiet for a while, and then into the void stepped in Mylarheads and notabando. Somehow we managed to survive this, and RAMD quieted down once more...that is, until Howdy (aka Michael Schmidt, aka "Trumpet of the Lord") showed up and began attacking Steve Sorrell. Steve and I had, at this point, had some head-to-head ourselves, but I respected him enough to stand up to Howdy on his behalf at times, and a Pandora's Box was opened. Anybody remember the "Howdybots" I let loose on him circa 1998? I even managed to get a hold of his phone number and pranked him, pretending to be a lawyer with a harassment suit against him....he sure turned meek after that. Heh.

We once again began to live in peace, but that piece was shattered when Catherine found RAMD. At first I thought it was another puppet show, perhaps another regular of RAMD deciding to lighten things up by using a sock puppet...but nope. She was real...and that made life very frightening. Because she is quite clearly....well, let's just say disturbed. And yet, nobody could (or rather, would) ignore her. No matter how many of us kill-filed or, or just plain ignored her, others insisted on responding to her (and still do, it seems). That is when the newsgroups went to hell in a handbasket.

Still, I remember that a whole bunch of us met up in Madison for the 1999 Finals and had a nice lunch. And John Keays, in stealth mode, came up and handed me some documents that were very helpful to my judging treatise I was writing at the time. Shortly after Finals, I got my first teaching job, and my time on RAMD became less and less....I just didn't have time to wade through a ton of garbage posts in order to read the few corps postings still left. If it had not been for George and DCP, I might have stayed away from drum corps for a long time (and wouldn't THAT have made people happy :P )

I am curious, George/Stephanie/Mike....did Catherine attempt to come over to DCP? And if so, just how long did she last? How about Michael Schmidt? Whatever became of John Sacktig and Stuart Rice? Bobby Hullet? I suppose the RAMD days were enough to turn them off of Internet corps discussion for a long time...

I am curious, George/Stephanie/Mike....did Catherine attempt to come over to DCP? And if so, just how long did she last? How about Michael Schmidt? Whatever became of John Sacktig and Stuart Rice? Bobby Hullet? I suppose the RAMD days were enough to turn them off of Internet corps discussion for a long time...

I believe she did for a very short time (I'm going purely on memory, here) but did not like the whole moderation and rules thing we had going here.

I also think I recall both Stuart and Bobby making brief (VERY brief) appearances here.. but not at the magnitude we had them on RAMD. I think Stuart was a little like Catherine when he got here.. didn't much like the moderation/rules thing.

Of course, it's been five years and I've aged so my memory could be playing tricks. George is way better than me at this kind of thing.

I also remember the get together in Madison at the Pizza place across from the stadium. Gadget was there and Mav.. a few others, too.. we took up a lot of space so I don't think I got to meet everybody. Was fun, though.

Stef