"Alumni" Corps...

CB! was definately created to serve drum corps alumni, and was started by Alumni of the orignal corps. But we are not really a tribute corps, since we don't play (so far, anyway) the old CBE tunes.

There are also other senior, non-competitive corps around, that don't base their lineage on a particular corps, but provide a place for non-competing alumi-types as well.

Edited by brassomaniac

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thinking, in Hanovers case the corps never really had a particular style or songs that were "their songs". Closest we have is "You'll Never Walk Alone" which we still do. Hard to be a "Tribute" corps when there isn't more to hang a "tribute" on.

In Westshoremens case, the corps big concert number is one of the Jazz tunes they played in the 80s/90s. But that only covers about 15-20 years out of a 50+ years history.

I think you hit the nail that time Jim. When 'alumni' corps start out, thye like to play 'the old stuff' the 'old' way. After a couple of years of that they should begin to 'morph' into what they can do best without being strict on heritage. What we philosophized in Archie beginning in the late '70's is think outside the box. Most of what we did in the late '80's early to mid '90's was done with the idea that........"what would Archie have done with this rep". We maintained a few numbers in our extensive 'book' that paid homage to the corps, but those arrangements were always new.

One statement that came from the lips of mentor and friend Lee Wolf can be paraphrased as "it wasn't WHAT we played, as much as HOW we played it".........

Jimbalaya

Just thinking, in Hanovers case the corps never really had a particular style or songs that were "their songs". Closest we have is "You'll Never Walk Alone" which we still do. Hard to be a "Tribute" corps when there isn't more to hang a "tribute" on.

In Westshoremens case, the corps big concert number is one of the Jazz tunes they played in the 80s/90s. But that only covers about 15-20 years out of a 50+ years history.

I always liked your kickoff which you played for a few years in early 70's. Procession of Nobles if my memory serves me. Very cool.

I always liked your kickoff which you played for a few years in early 70's. Procession of Nobles if my memory serves me. Very cool.

Rimsky Korsakov great selection, in the pre DCI days, SCV performed it as a opener from 1968-70. The Long Island Sunrisers also played a nice version in 1969. The title implies the feel when you play it...at least for me it did.

Ben