"Alumni" Corps...

Sure 'nuf Jim. I'll post it as a separate thread........in installments.......just like Saturday at the movies.

Jimbalaya

PS I was staff and DM in '79, '80 & '81.

Go for it Jim, very little info out there on the merger year....

And <Hades> I saw Archie from 1979 to mid 1980s and never knew it actually was the "Alumni" corps. While thinking about it, wondering if Blessed Sac and Blue Rock Senior corps (both competed 1975) were also competing "Alumni" corps. :doh:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy smoke Joe......'Fotchie' Spino, 'Rank Back Rank' Jenkins, the Quack's (it was cool to see Tommy out at TME rehearsal) and Bob Lidard.........and you remembered???? Guess ya didn't have enuf beer......... :doh: ....first time both hung out without a brawl breaking out? B)

JimC

Hey Jim,

1975 Blessed Sacrament Senior Corps actually only competed in 3 shows that year. Somewhere around Albany, The Dream and DCA Prelims. We were made up of approx 60% Alumni I would guess. The irony of that was that we had at 5 guys from Blue Rock who marched with us that year. "Fotch" Al Spino, Harry Jenkins, Bob Lidard and both Quack's. How's that for a good memory Jimmy C? We also had a great party at the Legion or VFW in Wildwood that year with Blue Rock. I think it was the first time the two corps ever hung out together. Then there was always the fight in 1968 Morristown, NJ........................................................

I agree that the designations should change ... Right now when you say "alumni corps" everyone has an expectation that it's a senior/all-age corps that is exhibition only. Maybe calling it something like "senior exhibition corps" or "show corps" would make all the dissenters happy.

By any other name, I just wish we had one in NorCal. So much untapped talent up here.

I grew up with a number of different drum corps families.

These days I see, all of drum corps, as family.

I don't see us as, Us and Them.

We are unique individuals who share a passion and life style.

DRUM CORPS

I agree that the designations should change ... Right now when you say "alumni corps" everyone has an expectation that it's a senior/all-age corps that is exhibition only. Maybe calling it something like "senior exhibition corps" or "show corps" would make all the dissenters happy.

By any other name, I just wish we had one in NorCal. So much untapped talent up here.

edited cuz i kant reed.

Edited by LisaLisaMoMeesa

Sooo.....I guess I'm odd man out here....but to me...and alumni corps ought to be just that. But then you have to decide what you want your alumni corps to do. Do you want them to become some huge performing unit? Alot of these "alumni corps" spring up after the original unit is now defunct so that's probably why they want the alumni unit to become some big performing unit and thus, they have to allow "outsiders".

I've often thought it would be fun to start a Renegades alumni corps for those who were in Renegades but because life/family/carrers/injuries got in the way, cannot do the heavy rehearsal/performance schedule. Maybe they perform at Christmas in the Park (a local Christmas pageant) or in a couple of parades and then at Renegade Family Day in August. The group forms for the love of playing some old Renegade classics (yeah, I know, they haven't been around long enough to have that many OLD classics...but you know.....) and it's just family getting together for some fun, re-telling old stories, keeping the history alive for all the corps members to learn, that sort of thing. I guess that's sort of how SCV's alumni is. That, to me, is an alumni corps. I mean NO disrespect to the others but those seem like "For legal/tax/personal ego issues, we can't re-form the old corps, so we're going to call it <insert defunct corps name here> Alumni" and invite everyone to march".

Why not just start a corps with a whole new name? There's obviously an interest.

Ahhhhhhhhh.......that other handsome dude in '80 was none other than 'Duke' Cornwell. The third Musketeer was Bob Russ, whose kids marched Crossmen.......we were a spiffy lot, eh?

Who was that handsome DM with you? I think he judges today.

Lisa:

Sooo.....I guess I'm odd man out here....but to me...and alumni corps ought to be just that. But then you have to decide what you want your alumni corps to do. Do you want them to become some huge performing unit? Alot of these "alumni corps" spring up after the original unit is now defunct so that's probably why they want the alumni unit to become some big performing unit and thus, they have to allow "outsiders".

Once you've done a gig you are an alumnus, right?

I've often thought it would be fun to start a Renegades alumni corps for those who were in Renegades but because life/family/carrers/injuries got in the way, cannot do the heavy rehearsal/performance schedule. Maybe they perform at Christmas in the Park (a local Christmas pageant) or in a couple of parades and then at Renegade Family Day in August. The group forms for the love of playing some old Renegade classics (yeah, I know, they haven't been around long enough to have that many OLD classics...but you know.....) and it's just family getting together for some fun, re-telling old stories, keeping the history alive for all the corps members to learn, that sort of thing. I guess that's sort of how SCV's alumni is. That, to me, is an alumni corps. I mean NO disrespect to the others but those seem like "For legal/tax/personal ego issues, we can't re-form the old corps, so we're going to call it <insert defunct corps name here> Alumni" and invite everyone to march".

that would be the premise of being alumni I think

Why not just start a corps with a whole new name? There's obviously an interest.

because of the legacy and heritage of the corps themselves........not that you couldn't form a new corps, but there is a much more likelihood of success with an historic name/location, etc.