"Alumni" Corps...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the designations should change ... Right now when you say "alumni corps" everyone has an expectation that it's a senior/all-age corps that is exhibition only.

I agree that the designations should change too for the above reason plus the possible confusion that you might have to be an alumnus of a corps to be in it. A friend of mine that can't march DCA next year due to family commitments can do "alumni" corps. He wants to march Bridgemen Alumni and asked me, knowing I was an alumnus of the Bridgemen, if you needed to be an alumnus to march. He was happy to hear that you didn't.

Maybe calling it something like "senior exhibition corps" or "show corps" would make all the dissenters happy.

Good topic for dicussion! ^OO^ Here are a few more suggestions:

"classic corps"

"traditional corps"

"old-school corps"

All these designations point to the fact that the majority of "alumni" corps emulate the styles (music, marching & drill) of the 1960's & 1970's. Anyone have any other suggestions?

As far as I am concerned, call it alumni, call it all age, whatever.

Just finished watching the Bridgemen show from 2007 DCI East and seeing George Bonfiglio moved by their performance of Danny Boy let's you know that, whatever it is, IT WAS GREAT!

If you ever join one...you'll love it.

I do a lot of playing, mostly Bb trumpet in jazz bands, concert bands, whatever...anyone dumb enough to ask me to play.

Just got in from a rehearsal with Bucs Alumni about a half hour ago and there's nothing like pulling that G bugle from the case and playing that thing. Gosh it's fun.

I don't care what key a hornline is playing, it's all good with me, but there's something about a G bugle. The sucker comes to life when you pick it up. It's like it's saying to you once you start to play, "OK show me what you got". At least on the soprano anyway.

Can you tell I had fun tonight? Long drive both ways...no beer either. :(

Good topic for dicussion! ^OO^ Here are a few more suggestions:

"classic corps"

"traditional corps"

"old-school corps"

All these designations point to the fact that the majority of "alumni" corps emulate the styles (music, marching & drill) of the 1960's & 1970's. Anyone have any other suggestions?

I've been using "non-competatitve" which is a mouthful....

Like Gary Ms term of "Drum Corps"...... :) Nice, simple and says it all....

It's funny how current field marching members kind of unintentionally patronize us Alumni corps by sometimes saying stuff like;

"Alumni corps are great, they preserve our corps' traditions"

"Alumni corps give an outlet for those that don't or can't perform today's shows"

and the best one;

"Alumni corps remind us of our past and what we used to be"

That's my favorite. We're not reminding you of the past, we're showing you your future! b**bs

Now, now don't cry. It'll be OK, you get used to getting old. It creeps up on all of us. Have a beer and try not to think about it. :( :doh:Two more please.

Hard to type too. :P

Or spell.. :blink:

What I didn't lern in skool.... :blink:

Now, now don't cry. It'll be OK, you get used to getting old. It creeps up on all of us. Have a beer and try not to think about it. :( :blink:Two more please.

speak for yourself there Marty. :blink:

i'm not getting older ~ i'm just getting better. ^0^