ATTENTION: Academy Honks

I'd just like to say that the term "Corps-X Honks" makes me laugh.

Some words just make me giggle and that's one of them.

For the record, I was raised in Arizona and I've contacted the management of Academy in the past to express my support but still haven't seen the corps live... BUT this year, I think there has been quite a lot of prediction making and a bit more hyping than I like to see. I've just learned to read around it.

Good luck to everybody.. ya bunch of corps honks! :worthy:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP sounds jealous that his corps isn't scoring as high as Academy.

Like was said in another thread, I got burned out the most during strings of rehearsal days, not being out on the road touring.

OP--did you march? Usually that doesn't impact someone's opinion, but in this case it does.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but why don't you give the rest of the country a chance to actually SEE your corps so we can form our own opinion - instead of trying to over-hype everything you do.
On the other hand, by no means should anyone wait to actually SEE this corps to form negative opinions.

Gee 76...you wake up on the wrong side of life today?

I have never seen an uglier post than yours. Hope you're happy. Good job dude.

BTW, can you provide the links to all of the threads created by members of The Academy that have caused you to have this ugly tantrum on line. I'm curious as to where they are. I haven't seen them. Nope. Sure haven't. Ya know, what I DID see though was pretty clearly spelled out up in the review section of the Long Beach show. Why don't you go on over there and check it out.

And then you yourself...pipe down. I'm sorry but you're hitting a major nerve with me by what you're insinuating, and it's UNCALLED for.

I woke up on the same side I always do... cantankerous! And if you've never seen an uglier post, then I guess you just haven't seen very many posts.

I don't have the time to search every thread and provide all the links for you because I serve a higher power... my wife. She has a list of things for me to do right now. But I will tell you that the "Countdown to When We Come Back Out and Kick Everyone's ###" thread was probably a little over the top.

Sorry if you took it the wrong way. I know all you west-coasters have been dying for another finalist from your region since you lost Freelancers and VK - now Academy is your greatest hope. So I understand that I must be hitting a nerve somewhere.

But that wasn't my intent. We should ALL applaud the growth, development and outstanding achievement of Academy and it's entire organization. But Academy Fan should keep in mind that perhaps the "we're better than you are" attitude, under the circumstances, just might rub people the wrong way. That's all.

Try as you may - the rest of the drum corps community is not going to fully embrace a group that has been home for weeks, sleeping in their own beds, enjoying their own bathroom and practicing all day, every day.

:worthy: Wow, first thing I think of when I see a corps is: "Did they sleep in their own beds?"

Oh yeah, with my background the answer is YES...

I don't remember Pacific Crest catching THIS much flack from DCP when they were still doing the regional thing.

I do. And much of it was here on DCP, too. Don't worry, though; Academy will catch more of it than Pacific Crest ever did....once the San Antonio results are in.

Detractors have been quick to point out the disadvantages of a limited tour (less shows, less exposure to judges, less feedback, less pay, less souvie sales, less external motivation from competition and audiences). After this weekend, they'll be claiming the exact opposite - that it's an advantage.

:worthy: Wow, first thing I think of when I see a corps is: "Did they sleep in their own beds?"

Oh yeah, with my background the answer is YES...

QUOTE(DCfan76 @ Jul 16 2007, 10:24 AM)

Try as you may - the rest of the drum corps community is not going to fully embrace a group that has been home for weeks, sleeping in their own beds, enjoying their own bathroom and practicing all day, every day.

----------------------

You know, the first thing I think of, as I settle into my seat, anxious to see if this 135 person corps is going to show me brillinace on the field of competition, is if they have been ENJOYING their own bathroom, and what did that enjoyment entail. Geeeeeez :P Sarcasm is definately ON!!!

Edited by Acad Dad

Allow me to give you some freindly advice - if I were you, I'd just shut up and keep quiet for a while.

Good for you, your corps is scoring high. In California. Maybe it means something, maybe it doesn't. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but why don't you give the rest of the country a chance to actually SEE your corps so we can form our own opinion - instead of trying to over-hype everything you do.

We get it, you're good. I congratulate the members and staff for all their work. But keep in mind that almost every other corps has been on tour, away from home for about five weeks straight. They have been battling lack of sleep, upset schedules, bus problems, bug bites, hard floors, dirty laundry and everything else a life on the road brings with it. The highlight of the week is a Wal-Mart stop.

Try as you may - the rest of the drum corps community is not going to fully embrace a group that has been home for weeks, sleeping in their own beds, enjoying their own bathroom and practicing all day, every day. Yes, I understand the money thing, the need for a limited tour and the fact that you didn't write the rules... you only used them to your benefit (as you should have). But please keep in mind that the luxuries you enjoy today have not, and will never be enjoyed by the other full touring corps. So maybe you could tone it down a little bit.

P.S. Those of us who have been there before know that this isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. A lot will happen in these last few weeks.

This and other posts are sounding just a little jealous of a staff and BOD whom seem to be running their corps the right way. I think fans from some other corps are eagerly anticipating this corps falling on its face in one way or another. So they tour regionally, big deal. That might be a better idea for many of our struggling corps. Would staying closer to home for much of the season have kept one of our many now non-existent corps from folding? I don't know, but it may have helped a few. Would I get to see all the corps I can now? Probably not. But a limited tour ending with a trip to finals would probably be just as rewarding for the kids. And cheaper as well. It might be interesting if everybody did that and "slotting" wouldn't be a factor. To all the staff, kids, and volunteers for all the corps, THANK YOU for everything you do. To all the posters of flame bait, to people who are reading this at their job today, and to anyone else who fails to remember that these are KIDS we're talking about here.....LIGHTEN' UP!