2007 Ballads

Okay, so I am still relatively new to DCI; however, this year marks the first year I have been keeping major tabs on everything as well as going to as many shows as possible.

This years ballads.. maybe with the exception of 1 or 2 corps, gets me to lose my attention :( (ADD maybe?)

Anywho, what do you think about ballads in general? What do you think about them this year?

Here are my 2 cents on a few shows that I have seen live this year:

BD - I love their beginning and end.. but the ballad in the middle... I have a short attention span :(.

SCV - Their show is just amazing, with the exception of the ballad...

Coats - They probably have one of the more interesting ballads this year, but I don't know, I still lost my attention a little bit.

Cavs - I don't remember their ballad. I remember the rest of their show though!

I think I'm developing a fear of ballads: balladphobia (corny!)

I think what would be best, at least for me, is to have the ballad in the beginning then speed up.. or.. just not have one at all! :)

I know, corps need a breather :).

Help me understand more!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crown has a great ballad.

Phantom Regiment has a great ballad..

And if SCV works on their ballad in terms of the build I would love it also..Right now it's just ok..

Also, I pray corps don't do away with ballads..Some have been my favorite part of the show..Few Examples-Regiment 93, SCV 00, The Cadets 01...Regiment 06...I could go on and on...

Edited by ScvSpirit

I like Spirit's version of Hide and Seek as their ballad. Bluecoats ballad is beautiful. Phantom's Flower Duet is almost as amazing as Bluecoats. Crown is pretty good too.

Edited by CoHmempho04

I like Ballads, thanks. They can stay where they are.

:P

This years ballads.. maybe with the exception of 1 or 2 corps, gets me to lose my attention :( (ADD maybe?)

I can certainly understand how that happens with some folks, my younger son (just started percussion) loves the flash and fury of the fast loud tunes. Don't get me wrong higher, louder, faster is a kick for me too. But I really love the raw emotion of a well scored, well played ballad. Tugs at my heartstrings...and (see signature below) I am floored by Crown's Wild Horses, got goosebumps the first time I heard it at camp in January and continue to get them every time I hear it.

Boston's ballad just...got me right here *points at heart*

Loved every second of it.

the ballads of coarse aren't as exciting, but can be really nice. Every show has to have some down time, not only for the performers, but the audience as well. If every moment was fast loud and high. The audience would lose interest. The slower more laid back moments in show are designed to make the big moments stand out more and be even more exciting.