Academy...why the special treatment, DCI

First, let me say this...

Taken from another thread...

Second, let me say this...

By your avatar, I hope not, but I'm guessing you marched Suncoast. *sigh* Thanks for putting my all-time favorite corps in such a bad light. If you did march with them, you of all people should be applauding the way AA and DCI is going about this.

Third, let me say this...

deadhorse.gif

Randy,

You are too freakin funny dude :bleah:

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2005 and 2006, I had the distinct privelege and honor to be associated with the Blue Stars as a Blue Stars parent. I traveled a bit with the Corps in a volunteer capacity both years. During the 2005 tour in Div2, there was much discussion of their impending return to Div1 for 2006. The 2005 tour resembled a full Div1 in terms of the number of shows, as well as the amount of geography covered that year. That 2005 tour was talked about in terms of proving to DCI, that Blue Stars was capable of returning to Div1. The Corps was looked at from top to bottom, from finances, to transportation, to how well the members were being fed. At no time can I recall any discussion of either doing a partial tour, or of even having the option to do so. Perhaps that would have been somewhat above my pay grade, but the impression I had was that the Corps had to prove in all respects that they could hang with the big dogs. The 2006 tour and their successful return to Div1 was an amazing act of faith and determination for that whole organization. Thusfar the 2007 Blue Stars has not only proved that they belong, but that they will compete at the highest level of the activity. Bravo.

I've said all that in part to say this......

I'm puzzled then as to why a Corps would have subjected themselves to all of the DCI scrutiny if they had the option of returning to Div1 and participating in some ad/hoc fashion. Why would DCI even be capable of such oversight if it really is just a "loose" affiliation of member associations?

DCI has the final say on whether a corps is able to be a part of their association or not. They look at the corps' financial situation because they are concerned with the health and image of the activity.

At this point, in 2005, there were already Mandarins and Pacific Crest competing in Open Class with a limited participation in national touring. So, there was a precident for what Academy is doing now prior to your experience. Why such a thing was not considered for Blue Stars can really only be answered by Blue Stars' management, or people from the DCI approval committee.

Academy is getting special treatment from DCI because their shoes are really shiny. Check them out...they are!

And their socks don't smell. Well, not too much.

And it wouldn't have anything to do with an agreement worked out over the past off season that most people "in the know" have already commented on.

Look if the Academy worked out an agreement with DCI beforehand then it's a done deal.

If corps X didn't...well, too bad. If corps X didn't investigate the possibility of such a deal...their fault. If corps X did investigate such a deal and was told no by DCI, then DCI's fault.

Maybe life's all way too simple.

G, you know as well as I that this isn't Academy's first show of they year.

OK. Let's get specific. To anyone out there...

If ANY of the top 5 were in Academy's EXACT position they are now, THIS year. They have done the SAME number of shows and DIDN'T go to one of the set up shows for San Antonio, SHOULD they go on first?

Yes.

Some of us are talking about this because of the principle, not as any pro- or anti- Academy issue. I'm annoyed about Mandarin's position too. It's not that big of a deal, but it's a fair opinion. The sad thing is that this point is being ignored in the whole Academy bash/honk argument. Or at least no one is responding to my posts. :)

Academy is getting special treatment from DCI because their shoes are really shiny. Check them out...they are!

And their socks don't smell. Well, not too much.

And it wouldn't have anything to do with an agreement worked out over the past off season that most people "in the know" have already commented on.

Look if the Academy worked out an agreement with DCI beforehand then it's a done deal.

If corps X didn't...well, too bad. If corps X didn't investigate the possibility of such a deal...their fault. If corps X did investigate such a deal and was told no by DCI, then DCI's fault.

Maybe life's all way too simple.

I know the part about their socks is not true.....I have it from a well placed source that they could'nt afford socks this year. :bleah:

I know the part about their socks is not true.....I have it from a well placed source that they could'nt afford socks this year. :bleah:

thats why they don't smell...duh

I haven't read through this whole thread, but has anyone made mention of the numerous corps who are taking this year to 'regroup' most likely because they didn't want to pay the expense for a trip to California? How many threads were there earlier this year about that? No one was complaining about that were they?

If Academy weren't as successful as they are right now, nobody on here would care less that they didn't do an extensive tour. It's only when they are getting that piece of apple pie that you wanted for (insert your favorite corps) that this becomes an issue.

Pshhh....'it's the prinicple.' Take a break and just go watch the shows. Buy merchandise from your corps instead of Academy if you hate them so much.

Well the way I see it and the way Boo pointed it out was, it was corps themselves that voted for this arrangement to happen this year. This was done even before the season started. That means corps like Spirit, Colts, Glassmen, Blue Stars, Madison, Crossmen, etc. all voted for this process to take place this year. For those of you who are FMM or fans of these corps, don't gripe at Academy. Instead call the directors of these (your) corps and tell them your concerns and how this process should be changed. After all they're the ones that voted for it. Academy only had one vote like the rest, if they had any at all (can someone clarify if they did)?

This isn't gong to end anytime soon either. The costs of touring is astounding. I'm surprised corps can even pull this off anymore. With an activity where the majority of the corps are in the Midwest and East, the burden has always had to be on the Western corps. It will be this way for the next 10 years now. Some model will need to be introduced so that corps from the West can sustain themselves and not drive themselves to the ground, while at the same time not punishing them competitively for doing a limited tour. And yes I feel any corps from any region should have the same option Academy, Mandarins, and PC were afforded this year. Times are a changin'.

Related yet unrelated question. In years past, some slack was cut for PC, Mandarins and Esperanza doing the limited tours because finals have always been in or east of the Midwest. This being the case, shouldn't the Left Coast finals actually be an excuse for Academy, Mandarins and PC doing a non-regional tour?