Academy...why the special treatment, DCI

Jami - the thread is flame-bait

It is clear Academy has not gotten special treatment by DCI. To thread provides no evidence of their claim.

It's no different than somebody starting a thread saying "Staff member X sleeps with minors"

Irresponsible on the part of the original OP - and honestly - irresponsible for DCP to pay to host (and broadcast) such a pathetic discussion.

Respectfully, this is patently ridiculous!

George, some of us have legitimate questions about the seeding. Some of us may not be privy to the rational that went into the decision. I may disagree with the way some have expressed their concern, but it IS legitimate fodder for discussion on this forum.

I guess that we should just have the silly threads that Snappettes Mom starts (no offense, Mom)?

Questioning a decision isn't anything like spreading slander. I have to assume you went for hyperbole to make your point, but it would have been better made without the 'sleeping with a minor' comparison.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jami - the thread is flame-bait

It is clear Academy has not gotten special treatment by DCI. To thread provides no evidence of their claim.

Actually, it wasn't clear at all. Fact is, DCI.org posted the San Antonio schedule with the claim that performance order determinations were based on the results from Atlanta - when, in reality, scores from the Long Beach, CA, show that same day were also used. Even after the flurry this caused, DCI.org still hasn't been corrected.

Granted, some flame bait and trolling has certainly been mixed into these threads....but there's some worthwhile discussion in there too.

I would say that there is a case that Academy is receiving some favors relative to the antidotal evidence I have read regarding the treatment of Pacific Crest and Esparanza in some prior years. I was not following drum corps closely at that time, so I cannot attest to the accuracy of these accounts.

Still, I view the current policies I see as designed to make it easier for a corps, any corps to compete in the DCI system. I fail to understand how anyone can find it desirable to make it more difficult to compete, or limit the number of corps which can compete.

Respectfully, this is patently ridiculous!

George, some of us have legitimate questions about the seeding. Some of us may not be privy to the rational that went into the decision. I may disagree with the way some have expressed their concern, but it IS legitimate fodder for discussion on this forum.

I guess that we should just have the silly threads that Snappettes Mom starts (no offense, Mom)?

Questioning a decision isn't anything like spreading slander. I have to assume you went for hyperbole to make your point, but it would have been better made without the 'sleeping with a minor' comparison.

And with respect - you are wrong.

The OP didn't ask "how does the seeding work" they directly accused (in the thread title no less) that Academy is getting "special treatment by DCI"

This is highly inflammatory. READ: FLAMe-bait.

Starting threads in an inflammatory manner is the very definition of flame-baiting on the internet.

Edited by George

...Fact is, DCI.org posted the San Antonio schedule with the claim that performance order determinations were based on the results from Atlanta - when, in reality, scores from the Long Beach, CA, show that same day were also used.

Okay, if that's been figured out, can everyone move on now? I don't know what happened in how it was parsed on DCI.org, but if it's clear that scores from both shows were being used to establish performance order in prelims and therefore it's clear that special consideration wasn't provided as earlier implied, then the question is answered.

Or does that take the fun out of things? :)

To each his own opinion.

Wow...picking a fight with the founder of DCP. That takes some...well. Hey to each their own I guess.

For everybody....what is happening to DCP is just simple degradation. Every process, invention, new idea, after a point in time degrades. It's natural...it's...dare I say it....eveolutionary.

Companies around the world pay millions of dollars for consultants and systems for process improvement. I'm sure some folks may be aware of the Six Sigma program in industry.

So, if like the founder said...the original vision of DCP is not the current incarnation of DCP...well, then...I guess it's either to find a new DCP or to make adustments to this DCP to make it more like people want. But which people? Who gets to decide?

So DCP is getting laughed at. Good. Laughter is great for the soul. Sure, there's nonsense on here. Trolls, flame bait, silliness (the area I personally excel in!). No one has ever PMd me to say...you are too silly. No moderator was ever scolded me about being too silly. I've been scolded about violations of the dreaded dirty word list AND THEY WON'T EVEN RELEASE A COPY so I can see what words can be said or not. I understand the nature of civil discourse and when I occasionally step over the line, I apologize, try to make things right if I can and move on.

But be careful when attempting to reinvent DCP...democracy, true free speech, the Internet...they all share one trait. They are really at their core (corps) a dirty business. If you are not prepared to stand for the right of someone saying something that violates the very core (corps) of your being...then America is not for you. Even in the most totalitarian regimes...dissidence occurs...even under the penalty of death...dissidence occurs. It's very natural. Humans refuse to be contained by little boxes.

Finally, and yes, there is a finally...

Here's a process I follow when looking at threads...it's really only two steps. I call it...how to spot a troll. First off...the initial post is just...for use of a better word....snarky. Then the OP doesn't appear again for several pages. It's like he/she wanted to through some crap on the wall to see if it would stick. They also usually lurk there from time to time but don't EVER jump back in to defend their original thesis. If they jump back at all it is usually to spin more flame bait and then they exit. It's really rather predicible.

Have a good day everyone and I try to give George a break. Imagine being the founder of something so cool as this...releasing it out into the world and then seeing it not flying in exactly the direction intended. But, take heart...DCP is still flying.

By the way...a quick shout out to the mods...you folks really don't get enough credit for the long unpaid time you spend in here trying to maintain some assemblence of order. Thanks!

Horns Down!

And with respect - you are wrong.

The OP didn't ask "how does the seeding work" they directly accused (in the thread title no less) that Academy is getting "special treatment by DCI"

This is highly inflammatory. READ: FLAMe-bait.

Starting threads in an inflammatory manner is the very definition of flame-baiting on the internet.

This post is off topic.

Now...back on topic.

Just who...name the corps who are harmed by the arrangement the Academy worked out with....um...the directors of all the other DCI member corps?

This wasn't some secretive backroom meeting with the Academy director and Dan Acheson and some of the now famous DCI thug squad. They do exist and they wear a lovely leotard so I am told.

This was an arranged marriage that took place before the season.

Academy petitioned DCI twice I beleive to become members. The first time, after the 2005 season was a trial balloon. People within the organization wanted to see where the Academy stacked up as an organization.

In 06, another eveluation took place. Even information shared publicly on the Academy website expressed an intent to compete in Div. II in '07 until this "arrangement" was worked out.

If you have issue with this, then I guess you have issue with the US geography. Let's start an effort to flatten and shorten the country and then all corps could travel less.

If you have an issue with Academy not doing a "full tour" this season...well then. Sorry...no tag backs...it's done...it's over. File your complaint in the official DCI complaint box. Don't buy finals tickets...don't buy DVDs of finals...protest...blah blah blah.

What I find fascinating is that attendance for DCI doesn't change that much year to year...it ticks up a bit depending on location...DCI is in the black unlike the 1990s era and things seem to be going on as drum corps continues to evolve.

Again, DCI likes Academy's shiny shoes and that's why DCI likes them DCI is secretly a shoe whore!