Academy...why the special treatment, DCI

By your avatar, I hope not, but I'm guessing you marched Suncoast. *sigh* Thanks for putting my all-time favorite corps in such a bad light. If you did march with them, you of all people should be applauding the way AA and DCI is going about this.
In an interesting bit of minutia, Suncoast Sound had a corporate sponsorship from Circle K convenience stores in 1985 and 1986. Circle K was based in Phoenix, and the corps competed in the show there both of those years, presumable for that reason.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that was their first show of the season ?? sure insert any corps name. I have no problem with what they are doing "tour" wise, I just think when you are new you step off first.

~G~

G, you know as well as I that this isn't Academy's first show of they year.

OK. Let's get specific. To anyone out there...

If ANY of the top 5 were in Academy's EXACT position they are now, THIS year. They have done the SAME number of shows and DIDN'T go to one of the set up shows for San Antonio, SHOULD they go on first?

In summary I would say to the Academy, be appreciative of the gift you have been given and respectful of the Corps who are on the road all summer so that we may have a full season of competition to enjoy. By respectful I do not imply that you are rude or destructive to others only that you would do much better for yourself to be low keyed, professional and just provide the audience with wonderful and entertaining performances. Everything else will then fall into place.

I'm sorry. I have been reading through this thread pretty thoroughly and I can't find a single post from a current Academy member or staff member has been non professional or over-hyped. If I am wrong please point me to a particular post that supports your argument. My guess is that no such evidence will be forth coming.

I then have to ask who are you to proffer such an admonition? Especially one that appears to have no basis or merit. Try this on for size.

"In summary I would say to KevinRomano, be appreciative of the gift you have been given and respect those who are on the board all summer so that we may have a a full season of honest discourse to enjoy. You will do much better for yourself if you don't chastise an organization and accuse them of doing something they have not done."

If you don't like the actions or hype of some Academy fans then call the fans out, not the organization. It makes you appear childish and petty, something I assume you don't intend.

I don't refer to "Trash Talk" in the posting. I don't think I have ever used that term. :bleah:

I know - just sayin'....yours was the third reference to alleged boasting by Academy people. I haven't seen it myself, and I can't find any via searching the forum.

I know - just sayin'....yours was the third reference to alleged boasting by Academy people. I haven't seen it myself, and I can't find any via searching the forum.

There were a few in other postings. I posted my thoughts and observations.

Best of luck to all, have a great day!

I have been watching the back and forth regarding this topic for awhile now. In trying to understand the implications on both sides (there seem to be two distinct factions).

In looking at the number of shows, it seems Academy is participating in roughly half the number of most of the other top 12.

I've read all the reasons pro and con, financial mostly on the pro side, fundamental fairness on the con. My questions along with my initial thoughts are these.

On the issue of finance:

If all the Div 1 corps decided to adopt this model for next year, and going forward, what impact would this have on the fan base/revenue base to the activity at large? What would the activity look like? Would this be the growth model? The survival model? On the face of it, it would seem the activity would not/could not sustain the national reach it currently has. Perhaps it cannot sustain itself long term with the current model either. If at the end of the day it is about finance, why not just have each corps compete in 12 shows of their choosing and then show up at Indy in August for Finals?

On the issue of fairness:

Is there another activity, sports or performance, amateur or professional, where a particpant can opt in and opt out of the activity as finance or circumstance dictate? Presumably DCI allows this, and on that basis it is okay. I'm at a loss to understand that perspective, but I'm trying. You are either in the arena, and competing in the same crucible that is tour or you are not.

These are my questions/thoughts on the topic. I'm certain many of you with far more experience could help to enlighten me.

If a corps can't muster the funding to do a Div 1 tour, they shouldn't be Div 1 - regardless how good they are!

I don't think this subject is proper fodder for a flame war, but I do think that it needs serious discussion.

I agree with your second comment above, so don't take any of my comments as flamin'--just sayin'! :)

On your first point, I believe that I am correct in saying that Academy is engaging in a D1 schedule--they are competing directly against D1 corps on D1 judging criteria.

Second, there is (as stated before) a unique combination of factors at play here. Academy is a western corps, and finals are out west this year. In addition, it is their first year competing at a D1 level and there has been a huge trek eastward to Allentown and Atlanta already, everyone is converging on San Antonio, and there is an upcoming trek to Indy/Ohio (yes?) followed by a return to the west--not good logistically or financially for a "newbie" D1 corps who would like to field a corps again next year and, unlike Phonix Sun, the year after that.

So again, they are competing against D1's--and quite well--and their taking time off was a wise move. If others want to follow them, let them score higher. Granted, they haven't competed against most of the top 12, but the performance order issue should be resolved before finals kicks off, yes?

A thought regarding Madison since someone mentioned them. Yes, they are fielding a full D1 corps, a full D1 schedule, and so on. I'm curious, based on history, to see what happens in Mad town next year and the year after. Yes, the Scouts organization has a long, proud history and many alumni. But there have been other corps who have gone the way of the dinosaur whose situation mirrored the Scouts. If it is too much for them to have launched out on such an exhaustive tour, considering their winter woes off the field, would it surprise anybody to hear that they announce in October that they don't field a corps in 2008?

I mean, REALLY surprise??

I've heard stranger. And I'm not attacking the Scouts, their members, or alumni, so don't take it that way. Purely business-side assumptions at play in that tangent. Actually, based on history in the activity, for them to right their financial situation this year and be just fine next year would be the surprise if you think about it, and I would say the same if it were Phantom or Cadets.

And one final point--I honestly don't know the answer, so anyone who knows can speak. How many judges from Academy's previous competitions have subsequently seen other corps at eastern shows and are now starting to see Academy again? My point is that the judges are the same judges who judge all the corps, even if not on the same night at the same show. And I'll bet they talk amongst themselves--just another thought.

On the issue of fairness:

Is there another activity, sports or performance, amateur or professional, where a particpant can opt in and opt out of the activity as finance or circumstance dictate? Presumably DCI allows this, and on that basis it is okay. I'm at a loss to understand that perspective, but I'm trying. You are either in the arena, and competing in the same crucible that is tour or you are not.

These are my questions/thoughts on the topic. I'm certain many of you with far more experience could help to enlighten me.

Well, you have to be careful with analogies here because there are lots of variables. It's easy to say, hey the Bears can't just play half the games and then show up at the Super Bowl. (although some would argue that's exactly what the did this year ^0^ ). Because in football or baseball or sports like that it is the cumulative standings that determine your playoff participation. Not the case here.

But I will give you a couple of closer examples. How about golf. Or auto racing. Now I'm not an expert on the rules here, but not all golfers do the saem number of events. They do enough to qualify for whatever it is they want to qualify for -- PGA championships, US Open, whatever. Or the INdy 500 in the case of auto racing. But then when that event starts, everyones on equal footing regardless of how many or few events you participated in to get there.

Just a couple of examples off the top of my head.