Question about Flag Presentation

I was part of the National colour party in my rookie year. We didn't know all the rules and reg's as it were however we did know that while performing either in a parade, an exhibition or competition it was our job to guard the flag. Our guard captain made sure we knew and followed the basics:

1. Never EVER let the flag touch the ground. Ever. Period. No excuses.

2. Never EVER mess up with the drill we were given otherwise WE would be solely responsible for the penalties incurred should a flag or weapon be placed in a compromising position on the field (e.g standing, marching in front of the colour party - laterally).

3. Never EVER step outside the field lines.

4. Never EVER step over the finish line until our guard captain arrived and gave us the command but make sure you got your butt over it before anyone else did.

5. Be proud of the position you're in whether it was carrying the flag or guarding it..... be proud. (that was one she didn't have to teach us.... :) )

It was really very simple - don't break the rules.

That is all.

kel

Kel, thanks for filling in the blanks on this from the insider's point of view!

You reminded me of another Never EVER that got one of our winter guards (Phase III) smacked with over 30 points in penalties (yep, THIRTY) -- if you're the bearer of the National Colors, Never EVER hold the silk when it's in your sling -- the penalties were racked up on the length of time you held it as well as the frequency with which you did this. Phase III would have placed third in the show (behind our Saints and Sematics Guards) ...

jo

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marching in all those AL and VFW shows down in Wildwood sure paid off!!! :)

And Scott, being from Cranford, I'm sure you share those experiences with me ...

Of course, there was also the unwritten rule that I'm sure Patriots also observed along with the Saints -- all but the National Colors would present arms as they passed Kelly's ... :blink:

jo

And Scott, being from Cranford, I'm sure you share those experiences with me ...

Of course, there was also the unwritten rule that I'm sure Patriots also observed along with the Saints -- all but the National Colors would present arms as they passed Kelly's ... :blink:

jo

And I thought we were the only corps that presented arms in front of Kelly's. We had to, all our instructors were front and center along the parade route with all the other instructors from all the other corps........ Kelly's is a Wildwood and NJ drum corps legend... :sumo:

quick trivia question - who and when was the last corps to have a guarded national flag section at DCI finals (it must be one of the competing corps during their show)

Could someone explain the term "trailing" to us. I remember it being a big no-no. I think it had to do with the weapon carrier being too far behind the US Flag.

Also, how did color pre effect the Canadian corps? Were the same rules applied, only to the Canadian flag?

I remember in the 1980s after DCI got rid of the mandated Color Pre some corps put the HG flags in holders at the corner of the the field and left them alone. <**> Some of the holders looked pretty crappy and Drum Corps News ran a picture spread of this with the caption "What's next? Put the Colors in a Trash Can?".

s/ Guy who carried either the AF or saber in the Honor Guard few times in mid 1980s.

Could someone explain the term "trailing" to us. I remember it being a big no-no. I think it had to do with the weapon carrier being too far behind the US Flag.

Also, how did color pre effect the Canadian corps? Were the same rules applied, only to the Canadian flag?

If memory serves, trailing actually referred to the National Colors -- see my earlier explanations of "lateral." If the Colors were "behind" other silks, they were considered trailing and a penalty would ensue. I think the penalty for out-of-distance weapons was "unguarded colors" or something like that.

I could be wrong on this -- others, please correct as needed.

Color Presentations were in the context of the nationality of the corps, so yes, the same rules were used. Nationally-appropriate music was played during the color pre, and for US corps, that meant things like Americans We, Yankee Doodle Dandy, God Bless America, and the like.

Kel, would you be so kind as to jump in here with musical traditions for Canadian corps? Thanks / merci!

jo

And I thought we were the only corps that presented arms in front of Kelly's. We had to, all our instructors were front and center along the parade route with all the other instructors from all the other corps........ Kelly's is a Wildwood and NJ drum corps legend... :blink:

Kelly's is still a mandatory stop-and-play site along the Wildwood Parade route ... the Elks convention is a big draw for senior / all-age / alum corps, and always gets good play in the DCA forum on DCP for those who'd like more info on the Kelly traditions B)

I just had to post this here...

mommywhatsthat.jpg

quick trivia question - who and when was the last corps to have a guarded national flag section at DCI finals (it must be one of the competing corps during their show)

Bluecoats (I remember you mentioning it a few times). I forgot the year though. :(