• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just had to post this here...

mommywhatsthat.jpg

"Go on...try to take the colors from us. Go on. We dare you. Take 'em."

"Go on...try to take the colors from us. Go on. We dare you. Take 'em."

For those of you that may not know...this picture was taken last Saturday night at Veteran's Stadium. Yes, the Kingsmen Alumni Corps has included a Color Presentation in our show!!!! The Nationals Squad will be larger next month, with the infamous Tom Day (Bugle Across America) carrying our National Flag!!!! You won't want to miss us after Semi's or at our performance at Veteran's Stadium on 8/8! Go to xkingsmen.com for details...

Edited by Vickie Kingsmen

I still get chills looking at the KAC Nationals squad.

And to borrow a phrase from "Mr. Vickie" (Kidding, Mike!): "...I would follow them into battle..."

The word that keeps coming to mind is: 'CLASS'!

God bless KAC.....their program is much more than just "...a historical re-enactment" of how drum corps used to be and I believe that the crowd response will be much more than the polite tennis-clap.

After all, if KAC is "making history" can they still be said to be merely "re-enacting" it?

Discuss.

RON HOUSLEY

I'm not sure how this relates to guarding the colors (if at all), but flagpoles the guards carried were not just flag "poles"....they were "pikes". Pikes are (were) an infantry weapon like a lance (6'-10' long).

I know our pikes had a conical (pointed...but not sharp) "ornamental" top portion that was a piece machined from solid aluminum - you did NOT want to get hit with those during flag manuevers...

I'm not sure how this relates to guarding the colors (if at all), but flagpoles the guards carried were not just flag "poles"....they were "pikes". Pikes are (were) an infantry weapon like a lance (6'-10' long).

I know our pikes had a conical (pointed...but not sharp) "ornamental" top portion that was a piece machined from solid aluminum - you did NOT want to get hit with those during flag manuevers...

Actually, from what I remember, we switched to hard rubber pikes so that they could be used in Comp Guard!

I remember those!! You could really rock someone's world with those things.

Serious weaponry...hehehehe

I remember being a roadie and having to wrap them in duct tape...along wih boot bottoms. B)

If memory serves, trailing actually referred to the National Colors -- see my earlier explanations of "lateral." If the Colors were "behind" other silks, they were considered trailing and a penalty would ensue. I think the penalty for out-of-distance weapons was "unguarded colors" or something like that.

I could be wrong on this -- others, please correct as needed.

Color Presentations were in the context of the nationality of the corps, so yes, the same rules were used. Nationally-appropriate music was played during the color pre, and for US corps, that meant things like Americans We, Yankee Doodle Dandy, God Bless America, and the like.

Kel, would you be so kind as to jump in here with musical traditions for Canadian corps? Thanks / merci!

jo

I believe your first two points are correct re trailing and unguarded colours.

The Canadian rules as I knew them were the same in competition no matter where you were. However, I don't recall anything about having to play specific types of music. That may have been before my time. When I marched, St. John's played a medley of British tunes which included an Irish jig that wowed the crowd when the rifle line actually did the jig (not during colour pre - but afterwards).

I think the following year it was a selection of military marches, and there was one year that the guard ended the colour pre on the last note in an arc around the national party with what we called the overhead and smash - not sure what it would be called today but we did a reverse present arms back over our heads and then we all bent forward 'smashing' the flags down to the ground. Made a really loud WHOOSH sound you can hear on the recording from Canadian Championships.

Our National flag pole had the pike - big heavy solid point. We were always in awe of the Toronto Optimists National party because in addition to the pike, they had a flag pole that had a spring-loaded extension in it they would use if they thought someone else's flag would be taller than theirs on retreat.

On a side note - the previous comments about presenting as you're passing Kelly's made me think I missed something - there was never a parade on my street..... hmmmm, makes me think I should seek out this establishment....... :mmm:

And another side note - the Kingsmen National Party ROCKS!!!! Thanks to Vickie K. for posting this picture.... it's what it's all about. :doh:

Actually, from what I remember, we switched to hard rubber pikes so that they could be used in Comp Guard!

Ummm, depends on the era...I recall our San Diego Golden Statesmen indoor guard slamming the floor with the aluminum tips...this would be 1974 and before....