Question about Flag Presentation

gallery1-019.jpg

And here's an example of a color presentation, winter guard style:

This became the standard location for the American section as early as 1975 or 1976 by most corps in summer time. By 1980, corps did not even carry an American section - given the guard 3 or 4 more members to feature.

Many corps would bring an American section onto the field during retreats, but that too is a long gone tradition.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many corps would bring an American section onto the field during retreats, but that too is a long gone tradition.

The corps would not even think of going on the field without the honor guard and American flag or Canadian. It was, after all, the purpose of the guard to present and protect the colors.

Kind of makes me wonder what they're saluting on the field when they give those long drawn out salutes. You used to salute the colors.

'...No hard sole boots so hence the tape on the soles."

The situation was "worse" than hard soles - the Golden Statesmen and Kingsmen guards had steel taps on their riding boots soles...

'...No hard sole boots so hence the tape on the soles."

The situation was "worse" than hard soles - the Golden Statesmen and Kingsmen guards had steel taps on their riding boots soles...

Yes, it was easier to tape them than have them removed. We had the taps to save wear on the boots...plus it sounded cool when we marched B)

This became the standard location for the American section as early as 1975 or 1976 by most corps in summer time. By 1980, corps did not even carry an American section - given the guard 3 or 4 more members to feature.

I keep forgetting this is a DCI rule. Pretty sure DCA did not count the Honor Guard in the corps size. Think they talked about it once and corps with huge HGs (Cabs, Sky) raised a big stink over it and the rule was (thankfully) forgotten. One reason given for big HGs was older members who gave their time with the corps could still be on the field without marching the whole show. IOW, it was a n honor to be part of the Honor Guard. And also these folks did a lot of support work during practice...

A small bit of trivia...

It was required that whomever stood shotgun with the american flag must be armed. However, SCV carried something that resembled a purse..first time it was questioned - concealed weapon.

"There is a fine line between stupid and clever"

Spinal Tap B)

A small bit of trivia...

It was required that whomever stood shotgun with the american flag must be armed. However, SCV carried something that resembled a purse..first time it was questioned - concealed weapon.

"There is a fine line between stupid and clever"

Spinal Tap B)

What did Preston Scout House carry in the 50s? Can't remember if it was a bullwhip or boomerages. NOT j/k

Will have to dig up the picture of Chicago Connections (senior) Honor Guard from the late 1970s. Their theme was Chicago gangsters and had a guy guarding the colors dressed like one of Al Capones bodyguards carrying a Thompson submachine gun. Most peoples first reaction was :doh: and "Holy #### check this out!!".

All that, "It sends the wrong meassge", cr#p!!!

I say you use the weapon of choice, but you have to prove profinciency...so if your shotgun rider is unarmed, they have tp orve they can kick that a##... B)

Being so many years ago... '80 or '81...carrying the American flag was my first position in a corps at the age of 10. We were positioned in the front corner of the exit side of the field and stayed there the entire show. I wish I had the opportunity to move around the field....nothing like being mosquito food, and not being able to move!

Being so many years ago... '80 or '81...carrying the American flag was my first position in a corps at the age of 10. We were positioned in the front corner of the exit side of the field and stayed there the entire show. I wish I had the opportunity to move around the field....nothing like being mosquito food, and not being able to move!

Joelle

Watch the video from the link on my earlier post and you can see the honor guard as part of the show. c1970