At what point and time did we lose Drum Corps

I've been involved with drum corps since 1978. I've seen a lot happen since then. I began my marching career with the Spirit of Atlanta in 1980 and 81 and then the Cavaliers in 1983 and 84. The changes I was a part of were moving the bells and timpani to the front ensemble (the beginning of the front ensemble) and going from loud in your face ALL THE TIME drum corps to a more musical and artistic approach. That was the really big things when I marched, besides the fact that knowable music was played. I thought the best show I've ever seen was the 1990 Star of Indiana "Beltshazzar's Feast". Awesome hornline and amazing run your butt off will playin' that hard crap drill design. The next would have to be "Frameworks" in 2002 by the Cavaliers.

I was okay with being allowed to have the show go off the field without penalty, I was okay when they went from two valves to three, afterall they were still bugles. But then I started getting concerned when they went from bugles to band instruments. No longer in my mind was it Drum and Bugle Corps, but Drum and Brass Band, but I lived with it because it didn't change the fact that it was still brass and drums, but someone please tell me why it is necessary to have amplification? And the shows the past couple of years have gotten so artsy for art sake that there's not a recognizable tune in the bunch or not much time is being spent on a theme before it's off to something else. The Cavaliers show this year is based on the music of Billy Joel. Well I've seen and heard the show and if they played Billy Joel stuff it must have been his obscure stuff because I heard nothin' that called my rememberance to Billy Joel.

Don't get me wrong I love drum corps. The talent of these musicians is awesome. Their work ethic and dedication are to be commended and that has never changed. But I miss the tunes man, the music. I want my drum corps back.

Coop

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I miss the tunes man, the music. I want my drum corps back.

Coop

Here's a question: were you already familiar with "Belshazzars Feast" when you saw the show? A lot of people weren't...perhaps the crux of what you want isn't necessarily rooted in the music itself, but the arrangement of it?

Moreover, "Frameworks" was entirely original in its composition, so there was no prior knowledge there...but it still got to you as a fan, and it's the very definition (according to some) of modern drum corps design.

All isn't lost yet, it seems. :)

PS....Check out Carolina Crown this year...it's a fan friendly romp that I'd bet you'd like.

Edited by bawker

I've been involved with drum corps since 1978. I've seen a lot happen since then. I began my marching career with the Spirit of Atlanta in 1980 and 81 and then the Cavaliers in 1983 and 84. The changes I was a part of were moving the bells and timpani to the front ensemble (the beginning of the front ensemble) and going from loud in your face ALL THE TIME drum corps to a more musical and artistic approach. That was the really big things when I marched, besides the fact that knowable music was played. I thought the best show I've ever seen was the 1990 Star of Indiana "Beltshazzar's Feast". Awesome hornline and amazing run your butt off will playin' that hard crap drill design. The next would have to be "Frameworks" in 2002 by the Cavaliers.

I was okay with being allowed to have the show go off the field without penalty, I was okay when they went from two valves to three, afterall they were still bugles. But then I started getting concerned when they went from bugles to band instruments. No longer in my mind was it Drum and Bugle Corps, but Drum and Brass Band, but I lived with it because it didn't change the fact that it was still brass and drums, but someone please tell me why it is necessary to have amplification? And the shows the past couple of years have gotten so artsy for art sake that there's not a recognizable tune in the bunch or not much time is being spent on a theme before it's off to something else. The Cavaliers show this year is based on the music of Billy Joel. Well I've seen and heard the show and if they played Billy Joel stuff it must have been his obscure stuff because I heard nothin' that called my rememberance to Billy Joel.

Don't get me wrong I love drum corps. The talent of these musicians is awesome. Their work ethic and dedication are to be commended and that has never changed. But I miss the tunes man, the music. I want my drum corps back.

Coop

Welcome to DCP :P

As for the Cavies, their show features snippets of some of Billy Joel's best, including Angry Young Man, Pressure, Scenes from an Italian Restaurant, and And So It Goes.

1995 was the peek and 1996 began the slide - it’s when shows really became esoteric and were written more for the judges and the music majors as opposed to us regular Joes, fans. The changes passed afterwards were just a reflection of those forcing the changes gaining control. I do wonder how the entire Orlando debacle played into this as they were some of the smallest crowds ever at DCI. It’s much easier to push change with fewer people around. Some of the late 90s shows are beyond the pale, intense navel gazing of music majors trying too hard with their self indulgent proclamations of ‘what is good’.

Edited by cowtown

I was okay with being allowed to have the show go off the field without penalty, I was okay when they went from two valves to three, afterall they were still bugles. But then I started getting concerned when they went from bugles to band instruments. No longer in my mind was it Drum and Bugle Corps, but Drum and Brass Band, but I lived with it because it didn't change the fact that it was still brass and drums, but someone please tell me why it is necessary to have amplification?

Same here. I didn't mind the evolution of the bugle, but the switch to Bb's kinda bothered me. And then came the amplification which I was against but I allowed myself to keep an open mind about it. I was going to give it a chance. Well I've given it a chance and I think it sucks. All it does in my opinion is make the pit too loud, force the corps to pay more for equipment and make logistics more complicated (needs power, needs a sound engineer, gotta shut down if it rains, etc). And now the vocal stuff which I don't like, but it's not too bad if it's used sparingly and done tastefully. But not many use it in either of these ways. It seems that most are using it just for the sake of using it.

:ramd: off

1995 was the peek and 1996 began the slide - it’s when shows really became esoteric and were written more for the judges and the music majors as opposed to us regular Joes, fans. The changes passed afterwards were just a reflection of those forcing the changes gaining control. I do wonder how the entire Orlando debacle played into this as they were some of the smallest crowds ever at DCI. It’s much easier to push change with fewer people around. Some of the late 90s shows are beyond the pale, intense navel gazing of music majors trying too hard with their self indulgent proclamations of ‘what is good’.

This guy right here doesn't have a major in music, yet most of my favorite shows come from the 2000's.

Of course, one of my degrees was in philosophy, so maybe I just like navel gazing. :P

Heaven forbid we be exposed to new music.

POPPYCOCK! SHENANIGANS! JACKS A DOUGHNUT!

I want my A-B-A form and I want it NOW!

:P