At what point and time did we lose Drum Corps

It all started back in 1971, the formation of DCI. Back then Drum Corps wasn't about the few that could afford it it was about the many. Back in the 70's the corps pulled there memberships from there local communities. Back then it was based in the communities for the kids of that community. This is, in part what kept Drum Corps together.

I will continue later....

Back then, you had vibrant VFW posts etc. Back then, there was such a thing as "community" instead of the generic bed and breakfast suburbs we have now. If they continued to pull only from local communities then there would be hundreds of kids from Texas who would've never had the opportunity to participate. I think there should be room for both.

USMcontra hit the nail on the head in regards to "what makes a bugle a bugle." There's no way a contra is a bugle in my opinion. I could never see a soldier in the cavalry riding into battle blaring on one of those things from horseback. The true definition of drum and bugle corps was lost many many decades ago...but alas, most of us think that drum corps was at it's most authentic when WE participated.

Edited by Medeabrass

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1981,82 Montreal had HUGE attendance.

Madison also had 35k plus.

Orlando was a joke

and I here that great seats are still available for Pasadena.

If you would like, I can get the actual figures to back up my claims.

Hopefully having the championships in Indy for 10 years will create consistent growth.

I will say that the attendance last year in San Antonio was strong for a regional. I was impressed with the number of bands that supported the event. This was encouraging.

DCI attendance has leveled out and slightly improved recently, but finals attendance is nowhere close to the old days....I believe 44,000 is the record, and I don't know that we are even getting half of that at finals today...

GB

I agree partialy with the amplification part, i mean vocals i dont like but pit i liked amplified. But the switch to b flat I think is a good choice. I played on a two and three valve g bugle. the tone on those horns are crap. every note is hard to find on the horn causing cracks and its just a bad sounding horn all together. Then when i switched corps and we used bflats it was so much better. Not only could i play more loud and accurate, the tuning and tone of the horn was just better. I would never want to play a G horn again.