At what point and time did we lose Drum Corps

The question should be "is change always a good thing"? My answer would be "not neccessarily". For those who remember, look at Bill Gates and the Microsoft Corps. when they introduced operating systems like ME for 2000. They initially thought that it would run every home desktop in the world, and today it's the laughing stock of the software industry, and a venture that MS wishes everyone would just forget about because it sucked so bad. If people would like to argue that change is good SOMETIME then I'll listen, but when people tell me that change is inevitable and good ALL the time, and will turn everything to gold, I become EXTREMELY skeptical.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with this topic and wondered the same thing at the Atlanta show. Drum corps has lost the average fan. There is no doubting that. Tunes that were once recognizeable are not played today. 1990 Star's show was great because they were doing stuff drill wise back then that nobody else did, except for Cadets and Cavies...

Now, everyone is trying to do the same stuff. I marched 6 years, so I think I have the priveledge of voicing my opinion on this. I got lost at the DCI-Atlanta show it wasn't because of my directions....I still love drum corps, but I will tend to side with the corps that play for the music and marching. This artistic or die crap has to be toned down a bit.

just my opinion....

BTW, I loved Crown's show and The Troopers show in Atlanta....Of Course, I will always love Spirit!

Some people do go to concert to be exposed to new music but they are the few and usually already vested or just trying to consume music – I went through that phase, but when I buy tickets to the CSO it because of what they are playing, what’s on the program – new music would not meet my criteria. For me to get into new music, I need to bond with it, make it my own be left alone with it for a bit – something may catch my ear on the first listen but rarely to the point that I’d ever invest the time or money in it

Remember, all music is new at some point. It's new when it is first created, and it's new for you when you hear it for the first time; and for every piece of music you've ever heard, even your favorites, there was always a first time.

I attended a CSO concert this spring, and yes I picked that particular night because it was music I'd heard. I'll agree with you that favorites are preferred by most people, but think of everything that would fall into the entire category of music that you know. There are far more stinkers than favorites, and that's the same with new music you hear for the first time - but you'll never know if there's something out there that will become a favorite, if you're not giving new music a chance.

Maybe I'm still in the phase that you grew out of, but I'm always trying to listen to new music. Finding something you hadn't ever known about, and discovering that it's some good stuff, is quite a treat. :)

Change the name of the thread to "At what point in time did I lose drum corps." Please don't speak for "us" or "we." Thanks. :)

Indeed. I happen to agree with a lot of what he (she) said, but I'd never speak for anyone but my ownself.

When exactly did Belshazzar's Feast become "recognizable music?" I LOVE that show and it is still my all-time favorite, but man, at the time it came out of left field. I think I remember Drum Corps World calling it "an obscure choral piece," and it was hard to even find a recording of it. I found one at a used record store.

There was also tons of flack about the show being too "artsy," the "writing on the wall" scrim they pulled out being something that no one would understand, the guard costumes being really weird, etc. etc. I even wrote a piece in DCW defending it against traditionalists that didn't like it, and how it was good to learn new ideas and experience new music in shows.

And now, it is considered the hummable good ol' days when compared to....Billy Joel???? This totally cracks me up!

Selective memory is a wonderful thing! :blink:

I've been involved with drum corps since 1978. I've seen a lot happen since then. I began my marching career with the Spirit of Atlanta in 1980 and 81 and then the Cavaliers in 1983 and 84. The changes I was a part of were moving the bells and timpani to the front ensemble (the beginning of the front ensemble) and going from loud in your face ALL THE TIME drum corps to a more musical and artistic approach. That was the really big things when I marched, besides the fact that knowable music was played. I thought the best show I've ever seen was the 1990 Star of Indiana "Beltshazzar's Feast". Awesome hornline and amazing run your butt off will playin' that hard crap drill design. The next would have to be "Frameworks" in 2002 by the Cavaliers.

I was okay with being allowed to have the show go off the field without penalty, I was okay when they went from two valves to three, afterall they were still bugles. But then I started getting concerned when they went from bugles to band instruments. No longer in my mind was it Drum and Bugle Corps, but Drum and Brass Band, but I lived with it because it didn't change the fact that it was still brass and drums, but someone please tell me why it is necessary to have amplification? And the shows the past couple of years have gotten so artsy for art sake that there's not a recognizable tune in the bunch or not much time is being spent on a theme before it's off to something else. The Cavaliers show this year is based on the music of Billy Joel. Well I've seen and heard the show and if they played Billy Joel stuff it must have been his obscure stuff because I heard nothin' that called my rememberance to Billy Joel.

Don't get me wrong I love drum corps. The talent of these musicians is awesome. Their work ethic and dedication are to be commended and that has never changed. But I miss the tunes man, the music. I want my drum corps back.

Coop

:sshh: :sshh: :sshh: :sshh:

To quote one of my drum instructors...

..."You can play all the technical s$^% you want but at the end of the day people want to hear rock n roll.

DCI is in the business marketing entertainment. If the people paying the bills (the fans) decide they don't like the entertainment value any longer then just watch how fast this activity changes to accomodate them.

Change the name of the thread to "At what point in time did I lose drum corps." Please don't speak for "us" or "we." Thanks. :)

I have to agree. If corps are performing more beautifully because musicians are playing with better intonation, articulation, phrasing, and technique, and marching with excellent physical control, design teams creating visual art and writing arrangements that are written by new and exciting composers, then I'll will take it every time. We are listening to corps performing contemporary music of Camphouse, Whitacre, Mellilo, Gillingham, Corigliano, Harbinger, Adams, et al - where else are we going to hear these composer. Yes, I loved Walton's Belshazzar's Feast but part of the reason was because it was unique and unusual (a somewhat less performed classical work on the Symphonic stage). Another reason was it was true art. Again this year, Crown is wonderful, it is true art. The program is designed with balance, proportion and there is tremendous respect to the music. Why can we connect to beauty and art? Because we are human. I grew up with drum corp in the 70's, but do I want to go back? No way. As far as amplification, I have no problems with balancing the pit to the battery and brass. Volume levels continue to grow as musicians continue to improve their intonation. What the pit is playing is an integral part of the music. When corps grow to 150, are we going still have a problem with amplification? Congratulations to the kids performing artistically and their design teams finding true art to perform!