At what point and time did we lose Drum Corps

...And the shows the past couple of years have gotten so artsy for art sake that there's not a recognizable tune in the bunch...

After seeing a show one or two times, the tunes are recognizable. (Imagining someone criticizing Beethoven for writing music with melodies no one had heard before.)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When exactly did Belshazzar's Feast become "recognizable music?" I LOVE that show and it is still my all-time favorite, but man, at the time it came out of left field. I think I remember Drum Corps World calling it "an obscure choral piece," and it was hard to even find a recording of it. I found one at a used record store.

Things must have changed a lot since then. Belahezzar's Feast listings in Amazon.com (Note: A few of these are not the Walton piece.)

I'll only say a couple of things here and try to be brief. They lost me with Bb. Amps don't bother me if they're just used to amp the pit ... and I can't think of 1 corps that only uses it for just that. If every instrument is mic'd .....raise the gain and leave everything else flat. Amplification does not imply modification. I agree the approach to pit instruments NOW Is more like it should be ... but the mixing boards need to go so the "students" are forced to play balanced as they always have. As I've stated in the past ... DCI should provide the main amp board with set levels at FLAT and a master GAIN that has a limit as to how high you can go.

As to the original question ..... Drum corps wasn't lost ... it permanently relocated to DCA :)

"Permanantly Relocated to DCA":

Good shot. Well said. The ALUMNI CORPS :doh: never lost sight of what DRUM CORPS is.

Elphaba

DCI is in the business marketing entertainment. If the people paying the bills (the fans) decide they don't like the entertainment value any longer then just watch how fast this activity changes to accomodate them.

Exactly. It's a business, plain and simple.

To quote one of my drum instructors...

..."You can play all the technical s$^% you want but at the end of the day people want to hear rock n roll.

DCI is in the business marketing entertainment. If the people paying the bills (the fans) decide they don't like the entertainment value any longer then just watch how fast this activity changes to accomodate them.

and I believe it has over most of this decade.

Again...my sense is Coop is a troll.

Throw a bunch of crap on the wall and then never show up in the thread again.

There's nothing to discuss here.

Drum corps is alive and people are paying to see it performed.

There and I didn't even say the "a word", the "m word" or the "n word."

When exactly did Belshazzar's Feast become "recognizable music?" I LOVE that show and it is still my all-time favorite, but man, at the time it came out of left field.

And now, it is considered the hummable good ol' days when compared to....Billy Joel???? This totally cracks me up!

Perhaps the proof of the pudding is in the eating...err...arranging. If I remember correctly (I haven't listened to it in a while) Star's interpretation of Walton was fairly close to the original source. The power and drama of the music remained intact, such that even those not familiar with the score were impressed by what they heard. On the other hand, the Cavaliers have chosen a few select motives from the Billy Joel canon and have subsequently arranged and re-arranged them as to render many of them almost unrecognizeable. Such arrangements tend to remove much of the intrinsic character of the music to the point that we don't always comprehend or remember it for what it is/originally was. Quite a few corps are guilty of this.

I think one of the reasons people are typically drawn to PR year after year is that their musical arrangements, while well-suited to the corps and the field, never stray so far from the originals that we can't hum along. Likewise, are people really going wild for Crown this year because the guard prances around like horses? I would say it has more to do with the fact that "William Tell" is a pretty well-known piece that Crown plays in a fairly straight-forward manner.

Edited by ChicagoFan

I don't think we "lost" drum corps, yes the activity has changed and evolved over the years. Some like the changes, some don't as evidenced by the discussions here :doh: . But the basic tenets are the same , a group of young people working together to perform to their best and striving for perfection...great life lessons..oh and making lifelong friends...and sleeping on gym floors...and eating from the side of a semi-trailer. I loved my first car...no air..no power steering..manual seats, windows...AM radio with an under dash 8-track...but I don't want to drive it the rest of my life. We didn't lose drum corps it has evolved.