Young Screamers

CorpsBuff

In DCI they are few and far between and in DCA almost all of the soloists to my knowledge are much older. I know that DCI has gone away from the screamer style music but you would think there would still be kids out there whose main goal was to play higher than everyone else?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing high has not been an emphasis, and there have not been a lot of role models. This might change a bit due to the popularity of Gordon Goodwin and Wayne Bergeron, but it is not like the 70s when Big Bands were all over and Maynard was the most influential trumpet player.

Side note: Top soloist for the Empire Statesmen, Joey Pero, has been their screamer since he was a teenager. And that's only a few years ago.

Playing high has not been an emphasis, and there have not been a lot of role models. This might change a bit due to the popularity of Gordon Goodwin and Wayne Bergeron, but it is not like the 70s when Big Bands were all over and Maynard was the most influential trumpet player.

Side note: Top soloist for the Empire Statesmen, Joey Pero, has been their screamer since he was a teenager. And that's only a few years ago.

Joey's been a screamer since birth I think.

I mean the youngest guy I know that can scream is probably Dan Lucore who marched White Sabers and various other corps including Erie Thunderbirds, but I mean other than him where are the kids who are going to replace people like the great Ritchee Price when they retire?

ACtually there are a bunch of them out there playing in DCI corps TODAY.Right Now!

Problem is that DCI has gone the warm and fuzzy esoteric change the face of drum corps road and that leaves no room for the cat's that can scream.

Cavies have two guys that I heard that can really throw it down.

I know two guys I marched with in the Skyliners are marching Jersey Surf right now. Those guys can both wail.

In DCI they are few and far between and in DCA almost all of the soloists to my knowledge are much older. I know that DCI has gone away from the screamer style music but you would think there would still be kids out there whose main goal was to play higher than everyone else?

What happened to them? Nintendo, Playstation, X-box, HBO and MTV happened to them.

Wha? To many, particularly male, trumpet players, playing high is the be-all and end-all of trumpet playing. Not just in drum corps. If you go over to other internet trumpet forums, that's pretty much all they talk about. Or search "trumpet" on youtube and most of the videos are guys trying to wail.

But screaming is not just playing high. You need a horn that you can put a *lot* of air through. The standard bore Yamaha Xeno is a fine horn, but it is not built for screaming. Frankly, it is painful to watch and listen to a line of 20 guys blowing their brains out trying to force air through those things. It's not the horn's fault - it just isn't meant to be played that way. There are other horns out there that might be more suitable.

I marched in jr. corps with a guy who sat in with Maynard a time or two at age 9-ish. So I guess they're out there somewhere. Not that I expect to see many of them marching junior corps since they have to work a semi-regular job all year just to pay their dues. Unless that job is playing your axe(and if it is, why would you march drumcorps), there's not much time left for practicing.

It's one thing to get your parents to cough up a week or two of pay to get rid of you for two plus months. It's a whole different thing when you ask them to give up one or two months pay. Especially if you have brothers and/or sisters.

Wha? To many, particularly male, trumpet players, playing high is the be-all and end-all of trumpet playing. Not just in drum corps. If you go over to other internet trumpet forums, that's pretty much all they talk about. Or search "trumpet" on youtube and most of the videos are guys trying to wail.

But screaming is not just playing high. You need a horn that you can put a *lot* of air through. The standard bore Yamaha Xeno is a fine horn, but it is not built for screaming. Frankly, it is painful to watch and listen to a line of 20 guys blowing their brains out trying to force air through those things. It's not the horn's fault - it just isn't meant to be played that way. There are other horns out there that might be more suitable.

Ohh really????

Tell that to Eric Miyashiro or Wayne Bergeron.

Those trumpets are not constructed for projection outdoors but its built for screaming.

Joey's been a screamer since birth I think.

I mean the youngest guy I know that can scream is probably Dan Lucore who marched White Sabers and various other corps including Erie Thunderbirds, but I mean other than him where are the kids who are going to replace people like the great Ritchee Price when they retire?

Speaking of Dan Lucore.......he filled in for Jeff Gibbens at the Cherry Festival in Northeast, Pa. on saturday playing "Blue Birdland" and almost came out of his shoes. I was in the process of blowing the bell of the end of my Melli and I still heard him :rolleyes: