Young Screamers

CorpsBuff

Very cool topic!!!

One thing I have seen through the years is a lot of tension put on the musician who has to play stratosphere notes in a show throughout a lot of it, because like a lot of you said unless you can hit it EVERY SINGLE TIME IN TUNE WITH QUALITY :sos: , and I'm sure that's exactly how he/she must feel.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually, I'd be more inclined to agree with Einstein on this one. Take a look around you. there are always exceptions to the rules. But I've found in my very short, yet productive(musically) life that those trumpet players who are more focused on range than their sound are the ones who don't get gigs. It doesn't matter if you can play high if you can't play high and sound good at the same time. and most people don't consider that. so if you do know people who are good screamers and also great players, then that is fantastic, but I would imagine they are few and far between. and let's not forget that what people consider "great" varies from person to person.

also, I'd take Adolph Herseth over Miles any day and I'm a jazz player. :P

At the music school I went to there were numerous trumpet player who were not only exceptional musicans but could also play in the top register of the horn with great quality and without missing notes. They all studied with Bill Adam.

I guess I'm just looking at the quality of muscians where I went to school at and the quality of people I try to perform with - none who are players more concerned with range over quality of style.

What is interesting is that my original comment was just along the lines of suggesting that sometimes the most important notes are the ones you don't play - any musician can pick up a horn and blow notes. It's knowing the right ones to blow at the right time that seperates the pros from the non-pros.

Actually, I would take Woody Shaw and Freddie Hubbard over any legit trumpet player, but that's just me. - a trumpet player trapped in the body of a jazz trombonist.

I know some amazing Bill Adam students who could prove you wrong...

But what do I know, I just studied trombone with a former Cleveland Symphony player who studied with Remmington back in the day. And you?

^0^ ^0^ ^0^

I study trumpet with an Eastman graduate (doctoral..obviously) where he studied with Barbara Butler and Charlie Geyer who put out some of the best trumpet players in the country....

No, I just find trumpet players that are overly concerned with range have a tendency to be bad musicians. If not bad, then just incredibly immature.

SOOOOOOOOOO true.

And just to add, range comes from playing with proper technique and using correct air.

Edited by MelloHorn13

None of this answers the original question, however: where are the young screamers?

There should be, in every generation of players, skilled youngsters who play well _and_ love to scream. So where are they?

Bandying about condemnations of those who want to scream without developing skills doesn't address that. I suspect that the original poster assumed folks would focus on _good_, young players. At least, I assumed such--who'd be asking about _bad_, young players? :ph34r:

They're still up and coming, although it has been alluded that when we were coming up, listening to Maynard and Bill Chase, and a "youngblood" Jon Faddis was pretty much mainstream listening requirements. And all of the lead sops I played with in the sixties and seventies wanted to be a "screamer".

My son is 16 and coming along nicely, however he knows that screaming is not the end all be all. As I am proud to say that I was Joey's Pero's first real trumpet teacher, when he came to me, we did not work on screaming. (He could do that at 13...LOL) We worked on pedagogy, and reading music, as he really did not know the importance of the latter. Joey's legit chops are very respectable at this point of his blooming career. He can play just about anything now.

Obviously, he learned from many other great teachers, but that really says a lot. Getting information from many sources is the ideal as far as I am concerned. I do, however, enjoy watching these young players evolve into more than just "screamers" and actually become great musicians and teachers. That is what it is all about, IMHO. Screaming is only a part of trumpet playing, reserved for few, and some GREAT trumpet players do not bother themselves with it at all.

Donny

Adam Rapa, formerly of ECJ, is pretty hot!