Motel Chains

Come to town and hang at the BW3. I'm sure we'll be there.

It's not a Dubs anymore, but still has the same owner and the same great beer selection.

As far as Indy hotels,

Crowne Plaza is nice as well as the Westin and Embassy Suites. The Hyatt is okay but a little older. They may be done with renovations by then but if not, I wouldn't bother. There are several Marriott options that are dependable, the Hilton was just remodeled and there is a new Hilton Garden Inn. Hampton Inn is decent, but stay away from the Days Inn (as a general rule!). It's not pretty, and you're next door to the heliport. If you really want to go nuts, there's the Canterbury, The Conrad and the 14 West Suites. If you like Bed & Breakfasts, check out the Yellow Rose Inn or Stone Soup Inn. The latter is stumbling distance from a few very fine establishments, but a little farther away from the stadium.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can always tell the quality of the hotel you're staying at by the comfort and thickness of the towels. Motel 6 for the most part were fine 15-20 years ago, but they are one of the cheapest chains around and now they do attract some scary customers whether it be hookers, drug dealers or high school kids throwing a kegger next door. Kind of like the difference of customers you see at a Greyhound bus station and the airport. Super 8's can be hit or miss as can Days Inn as somebody else mentioned here. I have resorted to the fact I have to stay at a place more on price range now than star rating. I have never had a bad room when I've spent $100 or more nightly except in NYC and if the room had some flaws, I could complain about it and usually the hotel would make the corrections or had the ability to comp me for my dissatisfaction if something could not be corrected. I know there's is still great deals in the $60-$90 price range out there (i.e. priceline, expedia) but unless I have stayed there in the past, I won't take the risk anymore.

Come to town and hang at the BW3. I'm sure we'll be there.

I'm at the B-Dubs up here in Castleton almost every weekend. The one downtown is gone, though. Last year I went to The Ram, met up with a guy that writes for DCW. Can't remember his name, but it was fun to chat it up after the show. I'd be there again this weekend, but I'll actually be out of town. I'll have to wait for 2008 and finals at the new stadium. :laugh:

If I'm still living in the area (most likely, unless I find a job somewhere else), I'm thinking of opening my doors up for some DCPers. Maybe it'd help cut down on the costs for someone who wouldn't be able to make it up here otherwise.

Anything in the Marriott or Hilton chains is usually a good bet, in my experience. Hampton Inn is part of the Hilton chain.... Fairfield Inn is part of the Marriott chain.

Some chains are wildly inconsistent.... Days Inn is one that comes to mind. Some are very nice, some are absolute dives.

And whatever you do..... if you ever need to spend a night in the Scranton, PA, area, DO NOT EVER stay at the Econo Lodge at exit 182 off I-81. That place is so bad, so rundown, so creepy, so dirty, that mere words cannot begin to do it justice.

Fran

Is that where the highway splits north of Scranton (Clarks Summit)?

If so, I didn't stay there but I know some guys who did. They said it was a crack motel with working girls "working" and with light switch covers missing, bare wires exposed (fire hazard) and all kinds of destruction.

They almost killed the guy who made the reservations and then had the nerve to not stay with them. He mooched a place to stay off of someone else (me).

Anything in the Marriott or Hilton chains is usually a good bet, in my experience. Hampton Inn is part of the Hilton chain.... Fairfield Inn is part of the Marriott chain.

Some chains are wildly inconsistent.... Days Inn is one that comes to mind. Some are very nice, some are absolute dives.

And whatever you do..... if you ever need to spend a night in the Scranton, PA, area, DO NOT EVER stay at the Econo Lodge at exit 182 off I-81. That place is so bad, so rundown, so creepy, so dirty, that mere words cannot begin to do it justice.

Fran

Darn right. Stay at the Comfort Suites or Hampton Inn just down the road. Much better quality. (especially the Comfort Suites)

Is that where the highway splits north of Scranton (Clarks Summit)?

If so, I didn't stay there but I know some guys who did. They said it was a crack motel with working girls "working" and with light switch covers missing, bare wires exposed (fire hazard) and all kinds of destruction.

They almost killed the guy who made the reservations and then had the nerve to not stay with them. He mooched a place to stay off of someone else (me).

no - this is Montage Mountain Road.

Fran

Yep. I told a story about that same EconoLodge on the first page of this thread. The sheets there were bloody disgusting and I'm not using "bloody" in an affected Brittish accent derived from reading too much Harry Potter.

I'm at the B-Dubs up here in Castleton almost every weekend. The one downtown is gone, though. Last year I went to The Ram, met up with a guy that writes for DCW. Can't remember his name, but it was fun to chat it up after the show. I'd be there again this weekend, but I'll actually be out of town. I'll have to wait for 2008 and finals at the new stadium. :doh:

If I'm still living in the area (most likely, unless I find a job somewhere else), I'm thinking of opening my doors up for some DCPers. Maybe it'd help cut down on the costs for someone who wouldn't be able to make it up here otherwise.

Wait a minute. I like RAM way more than Rock Bottom.

RAM it is. :)