Virginia Show

should be over by now

I just saw that the scores were up on the DCA site - excellent job Crusaders!

Crusaders 79.250

Fusion Core 74.500

Music City Legend 73.625

Sunrisers 71.500

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats CRU. 79 is a verrrrry nice step forward!!! Although this was only a 4-Judge panel. Probably doesn't count toward the standings.

Edited by Storkysr

Just a quick review as I have to save my more verbose statements for my DCW article.

Before I begin, please note that this was only a four-member DCA panel (no field judges) So everything was from upstairs. So when you exclude the field performance numbers it may skew the actual numbers and possible placements (no guarantee that would happen but you never know).

Rochester Crusaders (1st) Looked and sounded amazing. Their 60th Anniversary show of Russian Rhasposdy is an excellent vehicle to show off those new (snazzy) corps uniforms. Brass was great only some minor weakness in some spots, they have a great dynamics and very expressive. The drumline had a very good evening as well. Nicely expressive battery and a highly musical front ensemble. Color guard is huge (I counted 33 members), they are very colorful and have talent, but total ensemble performance gets a bit off. If they can nail down their performance and get the visual program to click, they will make a powerful statement in Rochester. Top notch overall and the crowd (as it was) went wild for the show!

Fusion Core (2nd) Wow! This is what, their second performance of their short live? Well they impressed many here this evening. Brass is their bright point, excellent ensemble sound especially handling the complex Pat Metheny numbers. Smallish drumline, but they performed well and they supported the program well. Color guard was also small (6-members) but very good but had some misses this evening. They worked well on all equipment types including flag, saber, and rifle. Could use a boost in body/dance to enhance the program. This is a great beginning for this very new All-Age corps. They sounded amazing, they looked good, and they seemed to have a great time out there, this all related well to the audience and they responded vocally and with loud applause. Besting two established corps like MCL and Sun had to feel good this evening.

Music City Legend (3rd) Is performing a very intriguing program called "Night Life: Hits of the Mob" where the Front Ensemble is dressed as mobsters with stripped suits, some with hats and dark glasses. The corps uses a mix of different numbers from different idioms to tell a story of a mobs family, death, and revenge. It is a cool idea that is not completely gelling just yet. Musically the corps stands up well, brass has talent but some mixed results in the ensemble (some off balanced voicing and performance). Visually a fun show but transitions between pieces are not very clear and the breaks in the number need to be shorter. This is throughout the different elements, all sections need some clarifying and locking down individual performances. This is still a fun show and their ending is "different" (you gotta experience it).

Sunrisers (4th) I was a little surprise at this placement, but without benefit of recaps, I can only guess where the issues lie. First of all, the show is highly demanding and complex (what Cirque du Soleli show isn't). But the degree of nuances and expression that the brass has to produce is very demanding and with only 12 horses (no I am not calling them horses - it is just a metaphor) it comes off at times weak. Visually the show is large, so spacing is very wide at times. Brass has much talent and they play well. Drumline is also expressive and has a difficult book musically and physically. Color guard is amazing. They have a very strong show and I thought their ensemble work was outstanding. They infuse a nice body program but they had some off moments that may have been more noticeable then I thought. If they can keep that demand, clean up the visual clarity and strengthen that brass line and more success will come their way.

Shenandoah Sound (Exh) Due to many issues, Sound this year will only have an abbreviated season and only as an exhibition corps. They performed a short program of music from Blood, Sweat, and Tears and it is very appealing and crowd pleasing music. Simple back and forth drill moves enough to keep the show interesting and the audience was entertained. Brass was cool and had some very talented soloists. Drums did well and they supported the musical program. No color guard, so the show focused mainly on the music. With the success of this night show, maybe they can generate more interest for members so they can return to competition in 2008.

For a musical opener that entertained the arriving audience and performed the National Anthem was the Occoquan Heavy Metal group. Now, you may think, wow! What is a heavy metal group performing at a D&B competition doing here? Well, you will be happy to note that they are a 6-member brass group of Euphoniums and tubas from the Prince William Community Band. They were marvelous as they performed quite a few numbers prior to the start of the competition. Many classical and near classic pieces were expertly handled and it was certainly not lost on the great audience this evening.

The Shenandoah Sound management and staff along with the Woodbridge HS Band Boosters did a great job this evening handling the many projects that make up the operation of a successful show. Great job everyone! Looking forward to next year!

One last note, the announcer this evening was the Director of the Woodbridge HS Band, he had to replace Fran Haring who was scheduled to announce this evening, but due to the sudden illness of his wife Barbara, he was unable to make the show. I would like to say that I have known Fran and Barbara for many, many years and I send out my prayer for Barbara's recovery and I hope she will get well soon. Barbara! We Love You! Get Well Soon!

Thanks so much for your excellent review. Glad you liked the show. We'll do our best to max this great package out by Rochester.

Just a quick review as I have to save my more verbose statements for my DCW article.

Before I begin, please note that this was only a four-member DCA panel (no field judges) So everything was from upstairs. So when you exclude the field performance numbers it may skew the actual numbers and possible placements (no guarantee that would happen but you never know).

[/b]

Just curious: how does this happen in a sanctioned show?

Just curious: how does this happen in a sanctioned show?

This is my understanding of the 4 panel slate and in no way is an official statement from DCA.

I believe that this, four panel slate, was voted in by the director's and it was designed to give the first time sponsor a chance to break even or make money on their show. It could also be used as an incentive for new sponsors, in the future, to consider running a DCA show. Less judges = less cost.

The judges use the GE sheets for both music and visual. Each judge will concentrate on a particular caption. As far as visual goes, one judge will concentrate on guard and the other the usual effect, but more of an overall critique on the complete visual package. Basically, you are excluding the field and ensemble sheets for both music and visual, but I’m sure that a judge can comment on those captions during their evaluation. I don't believe that the final scores count towards seeding, or anything else, but the corps can receive some valuable commentary, in a less pressured environment, that can be used by the corps for future competitions. This doesn't mean that the commentary is more valuable than a regulation panel, but may be a little different than what you are used too.

I personally feel that this is a very good idea and may increase the number of shows each year.

Again, this is my understanding and opinion and is not in any way official.

I hope this helps, and I'm sure that if I am incorrect about this we will find out soon enough.

Edited by dukecornwell

...Each judge will concentrate on a particular caption. As far as visual goes, one judge will concentrate on guard and the other the usual effect, but more of an overall critique on the complete visual package. Basically, you are excluding the field and ensemble sheets for both music and visual...

...but the corps can receive some valuable commentary, in a less pressured environment, that can be used by the corps for future competitions. ...

...I personally feel that this is a very good idea and may increase the number of shows each year. ...

It has the potential to increase the number of shows, but at what expense? I'm sure any commentary a corps receives is beneficial, but unfortunately the scores and placements have the potential to be skewed in a major way as I suspect has happened last night. It'll be interesting to see the scores and placements of last nights units with a full panel of judges.

I hope last nights experience does not take away the juice from some of the competitors. I can understand how disheartening it could feel.

Good luck all. I can't wait to see y'all again.

It has the potential to increase the number of shows, but at what expense? I'm sure any commentary a corps receives is beneficial, but unfortunately the scores and placements have the potential to be skewed in a major way as I suspect has happened last night. It'll be interesting to see the scores and placements of last nights units with a full panel of judges.

I hope last nights experience does not take away the juice from some of the competitors. I can understand how disheartening it could feel.

Good luck all. I can't wait to see y'all again.

amazing,................ my thoughts exactly,....................btw, how does a potential show sponsor find out about hosting a discounted show?,..................this is the first I've ever heard of this,..................

I know things are a little more laid back in Dixieland but................still no recaps?!

(for what they are worth with the abbreviated panel).

To add clarity (I hope), the abbreviated judging panel is available fo "new" shows only, this means that it can be an alternative to a full panel which cost more. When I spoke to one of the judges, he stated that many of the corps in competition this evening were at the second or even first real viewing by a sanctioned DCA judge. As such, the comments and scores are to reflect an appropriate slating of how the corps "fit" within the current ranks.

So I agree withe this direction. I am sure that Sean Peck, Director Shenandoah Sound was please with a reduced cost so more money is available to the corps. If they can get established at this location (Woodbridge Senior High School), real fans will know t put this show on their summer calendar (which may also generate a buzz for new potential corps members).

I hope last night was a decent return on investment for Sound, this is a great bunch of people and they deserve much success.