Sound of the South, Woodbridge, VA Show Review

Dale, thanks for the great review. To answer your question, the trumpet soloist in Loss is 17 years old and just finished his junior year in High School. His name is Stefan. Note that this is also his first time ever in Drum Corps. I agree completely with your remarks about his maturity while playing. He has blown us all away since day one with his amazing sound and approach towards playing.

He is a great fit in what I feel is an amazing group of young trumpet players we have in this years corps.

Dale, thanks for the great review. To answer your question, the trumpet soloist in Loss is 17 years old and just finished his junior year in High School. His name is Stefan. Note that this is also his first time ever in Drum Corps. I agree completely with your remarks about his maturity while playing. He has blown us all away since day one with his amazing sound and approach towards playing.

He is a great fit in what I feel is an amazing group of young trumpet players we have in this years corps.

Hey Matt!

You forgot to thank William for the nice review as well! So, thanks, William! The reviews are appreciated! Thanks to SS too for a great show!

Thanks for the reviews guys :)

Ha! It seems that no matter where we perform, there is never a review of our show!! :doh: When I saw that Dale Bari had posted a review, I got excited! Finally.....a review and by someone who is always so "well-versed"!! Then, just our luck that the babies got restless. Oh well......as a grandmama I completely understand!!! Thanks for the kind words. I hope we have the opportunity to perform for you again. B)

Well, I can add a few more thoughts from what I remember. The opener (Harry Connick's "Blue Light, Red Light") was the tune most familiar to me. The arranger did a good job of staying true to the original, while avoiding copying Downey's Blue Devils (1992) version. I'd love to hear a larger MCL horn line playing the book. The brass section seems pretty well trained, although at times individuals do blare a bit, and the mellophones sometimes as a section got a little too "hot" (Sorry, Bunny) for my tastes. But, I dug the arrangements and the approach. The low brass especially sounded strong. Loved the contras. (Even the ones who marched!) A fuller MCL brass line would be quite the sound to behold.

As Bill said in his review, and I agree, the transitions from tune to tune seemed a little ragged at times. The drum line was mostly well balanced with the brass, like Fusion. I noticed some drums to horns phasing issues. The drill had some readability issues, so the marching style was more consistent than the actual forms. I'm drawing a blank when thinking about the guard. Sorry. The show ending (hinted at by others - I don't know, is it something we're supposed to avoid spoiling for those who haven't seen MCL yet?) was original and well in character with the show concept.

As far as the third place finish goes, I'd have to agree. Fusion just put on a whale of a performance, and Cru was the class of the evening, so MCL shouldn't be down about that. Maybe it was the long bus ride (longest of the bunch). If I got a chance to see MCL again this season, I'd eagerly anticipate it.

From top to bottom, there was nothing I saw that night in the whole show that I wouldn't watch again. DCA continues to feature many corps - especially smaller ones - that entertain the audience: first, last, and every step in between.

Thanks, Dale! Appreciate your additional input.

MCL doesn't put much stock in placements. We were glad that we raised our scores by 6 points from the previous week. We place our stock in our performance. It was a great day (weather wise) and we all enjoyed the rehearsal time as well as the performance. As far as the ending of our show..............well, it would be nice if everyone else could experience it before knowing what happens, but sooner or later I'm sure it will be figured out. We still have a lot to add to the show. This show is fun and we are having a blast with it.

As for your comments on the mellophones.................HA! All year I have either been told "Mellophones, I can't hear you!" or "Laurie, tone it down.....you're sticking out!" :doh: Looks like we've still got some blending work to do!! Thanks for your comments.

Good luck to you and enjoy those babies!!

Edited by blueskysop

All year I have either been told "Mellophones, I can't hear you!" or "Laurie, tone it down.....you're sticking out!" :worthy:

Glad to hear Joe say that the rest of the corps just needs to be stepping up,,instead of some of the better players stepping down. :) :)

Notice the ovation he got when he said that>??>?????