Update: I have not made any plans for the summer yet. I am considering getting involved in the activity on a full time basis if the opportunity arises. So, if anybody knows a need for a highly organized detailed person somewhere let me know!

WOW! Drummergirl,

Believe me, it is always great to hear and feel the spirit of volunteerism. Your passion with wanting to help out in the Drum & Bugle Corps activity is absolutely great you can even tutor some kids from time to time, and help better prepare them for the coming year. Wow what an asset you would be. But, I just want to throw this at you for consideration as well, there many (formerly known as D2-3) lesser known Drum & Bugle Corps that could certainly use your help, as they might not have it all together yet, and you could become so vital and instrumental to "that" organization. You may say well I'll volunteer one summer and get the bug out, and find yourself so committed that you'll end up a important member of that staff administratively and or artistically. I wish you were a little closer to New York / New Jersey as I would contact you IMMEDIATELY! Drummergirl you have demonstrated the right type of spirit that we want our corpsmembers to one day do themselves.

You're Awesome! :huh:

Good Luck with your find!

Update: I have not made any plans for the summer yet. I am considering getting involved in the activity on a full time basis if the opportunity arises. So, if anybody knows a need for a highly organized detailed person somewhere let me know!

Even though I marched drum corps 30 years ago, the drum corps I was with respected my mapping and navigational skills. I could get the bus driver there and on time. I could read maps and translate to the land. I also am finance type and could help with the logistics of procurement (always found a good sale) and was very good at book-keeping, ensuring the books are balanced. I also had a strange imaginative mind, all talents that assisted drum corps. However, I do not like to cook nor chaperone. Thanks for volunteering. I did and still do but not with drum corps now. Wonderful experience drum corps is.

If you would like to hang out with a lot of folks who were involved with Suncoast back in the day, then I would ask that you contact us at The Teal Sound. Brian Fisher, Ron Ellis, Frank Williams, Susan Blackburn and myself all were involved in one way or the other with the original Suncoast back in the 80's. We would love to have someone like yourself get involved with the corps as we continue to build the corps and strengthen the organization. Please email me at randy@tealsound.org if you are interested.

• 4 weeks later...

Drummergirl,

Do it!!

If you have the opportunity to do something then go for it!! I think one of the most valuable things I have learnt in life up to this point (21..I’m getting old!) is that if you have something you really want to do with all your heart then its something your obviously meant to do. You can make things happen!

I’m in the process of researching as much about dci, touring, volunteering and everything else drum corps at the moment because ($4k worth of credit card debt later) I’m flying over from Australia next year to be a volunteer with the Troopers. I’m counting down already.. CANT WAIT! *dances* b**bs

We have NOTHING like Drum Corps here in Australia, so yes, I know I’m diving in head 1st for a lot of hard work. But its something I’m used to doing.. I love the hard work and effort that goes into creating these sorts of events and making everything happen.

I played Violin in HS (I know its not a marching instrument!) and used to be involved in all the school bands etc I worked on school tours and concerts and even went back as a volunteer on more then one occasion. Ever since finishing school 4 years ago I’ve hated not being able to be involved in that side of the music scene (I do artist/venue/event/festival management on the side of my day job). Anything music related that I can get involved with, I do it… lots of stage management at concerts and festivals, music photography, mentoring etc, I’ve even run a couple of music festivals! <3

I LOVE every minute of it!

So yeah, moral of the story.. if you want to do it, and you are in a position in life where you are able to do it... then do it! Being part of a team and seeing everything all fall into place and knowing that you are part of it is the greatest feeling!! Well worth the work!

Now lets see what I think about it all AFTER the summer lol